Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times

Advertisements

Life and death are both what you make of it.

I for one think it's pretty cool to be at the right place at the right time to experience life on a planet rotating in space as a human being no less. I could have been a cow. Then I would have questioned the meaning of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:49 AM

34 posts, read 60,330 times
We drive past a cemetary regularly so the kids asked pretty early what the place was with all of the flowers and flags. I said it was a cemetary and it was where people go after they die. Of course I was peppered with questions and answered the best I could in a positive light.

Why do people die?
Because if they didn't there wouldn't be any room for all the new little babies
Can kids die, why?
Because sometimes God, grandma, etc need that special child more than anyone alive does and its ok because you'll see them again sometime.

My kids aren't scared of death. We talk about it a lot. I make sure to explain that you might be sad and miss them but all in all it isn't a terrible thing. Sometimes they have "serious' conversations about not wanting great-grandma to die because they will miss her. Other times they want to know if all the "blood and guts fall out" before you float to heaven. My son wanted to know if Zombies go to heaven after their head is chopped off and they are really dead OR if it is when they are no longer human and turn into the Zombies. I try to treat it like any other topic.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I The world may be "filled with pain and misery", but it's also filled with great joy, and compassion, and kindness. .

Tell that to the people waiting at Buchenwald, or building the Burma Road, or heaving in the holds of slave ships, that they should just be patient, their joy is just around the corner. There is no limit to what human beings will do to each other. Especially when you invent something for them to fear.

Someday your children will ask about what I just described. Do you have your answer ready?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Tell that to the people waiting at Buchenwald, or building the Burma Road, or heaving in the holds of slave ships, that they should just be patient, their joy is just around the corner. There is no limit to what human beings will do to each other. Especially when you invent something for them to fear.

Someday your children will ask about what I just described. Do you have your answer ready?
I think that is the point the poster was trying to make.

If my child asked about the suffering of others, I would say that the world is not what we want it to be. It is what it is. All we really have control over, most of us anyway, is ourselves. Anyway, if my child asked about other people and their suffering, I would be happy that she can think of other people.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM

41 posts, read 45,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Life and death are both what you make of it.
Life is what you make of it... Only partially. We are responsible for some suffering of our lives but we don't have absolute control of anything. Life doesn't depend entirely on our will and choices. And many times suffering is inescapable. It's irrational to bring children to this world and responsabilize them solely for their suffering.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorees View Post
Life is what you make of it... Only partially. We are responsible for some suffering of our lives but we don't have absolute control of anything. Life doesn't depend entirely on our will and choices. And many times suffering is inescapable. It's irrational to bring children to this world and responsabilize them solely for their suffering.
It's full of ups and downs. It's a ride. Experiencing life doesn't mean the same as exploring only the joys of life. Good and bad are part of everything. Even within suffering there are moments of resolve, even moments of joy. Suffering is as likely as elation. Circumstances are what we find ourselves in, life is a road to travel, a roller coaster ride. Sometimes it's a flood to survive. Regardless you can find your own meaning, but you are still suspended in space, on a planet, living. That's still amazing, even if you can't find an answer for it, or a meaning to it. IMO, of course.

We suffer at our own hands and the hands of others, but, we will also have those moments of freedom, and or abundance. Taking moments from your life to dwell on that were hurtful is in your control. Grabbing those moments that were not is also up to you. Only certain times in your life will be meaningless, and if it isn't I imagine living it would no longer take priority.

I tell my kids to endure the ride because ups and downs are necessary, they give strength. Remember the good moments and learn what you can from the bad ones. But, in the end, we are all lucky to have experienced this life, it's rare, and under these circumstances we are all relevant in life. Suffering or not. We are connected in this process. The good and the bad, this does not depend on our beliefs, it can have meaning for anyone.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafke View Post
No amount of joy erases the pain that there is in the world. The most selfless decision is to protect a child from this world of pain.
How can you equate "protecting a child" with never having that child?, are you saying creating life is wrong?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 14,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
How can you equate "protecting a child" with never having that child?, are you saying creating life is wrong?
Having children is morally wrong given the suffering that existence entails. By avoiding procreation you are protecting a child who would be born to suffer.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:22 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gafke View Post
Having children is morally wrong given the suffering that existence entails. By avoiding procreation you are protecting a child who would be born to suffer.
Do you think that low of your parents?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Gafke...your words are a reflection of your life...sorry for your pain. Not all existences suffer though, not to the extent that one wishes they were never born..No one can know wether the life they create will suffer.... any more, than they could know that the life they create could bring great kindness into the world and alleviate the suffering of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy