Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:03 AM

6 posts, read 12,041 times

Advertisements

It's wrong to have children because we live in a world full of pain, misery, suffering, violence, bullies, and children are vulnerable to everything. Why do people have children in a world like this? Are they blind and in denial? Parents are aware of all misery that contains in this world and still choose to procreate to please themselves. Having children is an extremely selfish act and it's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 06:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelaii View Post
It's wrong to have children because we live in a world full of pain, misery, suffering, violence, bullies, and children are vulnerable to everything. Why do people have children in a world like this? Are they blind and in denial? Parents are aware of all misery that contains in this world and still choose to procreate to please themselves. Having children is an extremely selfish act and it's wrong.
Believe it or not, the world is not all bad. There's still beauty left in the world. Perhaps the world isn't a great place to live right now but we can all choose to fight right now for a better tomorrow. We can all choose to take a stand and work together to make the world a better place. I have a child and I'll never regret that decision. Hopefully my wife and I raise her right and she becomes part of the future solution.

As an aside, having a child is a biological and evolutionary impulse. People will always have children.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
I don't think it's wrong for a loving husband and wife to bring children into a stable household where the children can be fed and clothed, and have a safe roof over their heads. Crazy, maybe, but not wrong.

It's definitely wrong to bring children into the world if you can't provide 2 loving parents and security.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
I think it's only wrong to have kids when one doesn't think ahead of time how they will raise them, and hasn't the resources to raise a child or children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't think it's wrong for a loving husband and wife to bring children into a stable household where the children can be fed and clothed, and have a safe roof over their heads. Crazy, maybe, but not wrong.

It's definitely wrong to bring children into the world if you can't provide 2 loving parents and security.
Two parents have nothing to do with it. I know more screwed-up people from two-parent households than one-parent households.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I think it's only wrong to have kids when one doesn't think ahead of time how they will raise them, and hasn't the resources to raise a child or children.

Two parents have nothing to do with it. I know more screwed-up people from two-parent households than one-parent households.
Personal anecdotes aside kids from stable two parent households are more likely to succeed in life than single parent household children.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Personal anecdotes aside kids from stable two parent households are more likely to succeed in life than single parent household children.
Source please.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Source please.
It always kills me when someone who cites personal anecdotes as their source will turn around and ask for a legitimate source but whatever.

The first thing that led me to the conclusion that kids from stable two parent households turn out better is common sense. However studies bear out my conclusion as well.

Quote:
Children born outside marriage have been studied less frequently than have children of divorce. Nevertheless, like children with divorced parents, children who grow up with a single parent because they were born out of wedlock are more likely than children living with continuously married parents to experience a variety of cognitive, emotional, and behavioral problems. Specifically, compared with children who grow up in stable, two-parent families, children born outside marriage reach adulthood with less education, earn less income, have lower occupational status, are more likely to be idle (that is, not employed and not in school), are more likely to have a nonmarital birth (among daughters), have more troubled marriages, experience higher rates of divorce, and report more symptoms of depression.8 A few studies have compared children of unmarried single parents and divorced single parents. Despite some variation across studies, this research generally shows that the long-term risks for most problems are comparable in these two groups. For example, Sara McLanahan and Gary Sandefur, using the National Survey of Families and Households, found that 31 percent of youth with divorced parents dropped out of high school, compared with 37 percent of youth born outside marriage (the corresponding figure for youth with continuously married parents was 13 percent). Similarly, 33 percent of daughters with divorced parents had a teen birth, compared with 37 percent of daughters born outside marriage (the corresponding figure for daughters with continuously married parents was 11 percent).9 Other studies that have compared offspring in these two groups yield similar results with respect to occupational attainment, earned income, depression, and the risk of seeing one's own marriage end in divorce.10
*-*The Future of Children -

There's a bevy of studies on the internet if you care to Google it.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,445 times
Unethical? Come on. We may be among the most intelligent species on the plant (although that is arguable given the rate we are destroying the planet), it is not unethical to have children. You should be choosing your words more carefully, OP. It might be uninformed, irresponsible, imprudent, or even ignorant to have children--but it is not unethical. We are biological creatures just like all other animals on the planet--and it's normal to have an urge to fornicate to procreate. But it is unethical to bring another human into the world without the means to provide for, love, and protect them. The next layer is to do something to help the state of the planet so that you (and your offspring) can live in the world we all create. Peace out....

Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
It always kills me when someone who cites personal anecdotes as their source will turn around and ask for a legitimate source but whatever.

The first thing that led me to the conclusion that kids from stable two parent households turn out better is common sense. However studies bear out my conclusion as well.

*-*The Future of Children -

There's a bevy of studies on the internet if you care to Google it.
There are a bevy of studies by Bella DePaulo disclaiming it.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM

41 posts, read 45,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

The point is that having children is morally wrong under any circumstance. This because we don't have absolute control over existence. Like lorelaii said we live in a world of diseases,violence, suffering,misery, and children are vulnerable to everything. Having a good financial situation and being a good parent still can't justify procreation because a parent can't avoid all miserable instances that may befall upon the life of a child. You can't avoid all suffering and misery that can happen to a child. This is what makes procreation unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy