Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,798,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
No I mean the Universe happens in cycles each time creating life. Like it's all predetermined?
It's all predetermined, but there is no reason to believe it happens more than once.

One very unique planet among many has received some special attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,902,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
It's all predetermined, but there is no reason to believe it happens more than once.

One very unique planet among many has received some special attention.
why do you think predetermined?

Old 05-17-2014, 08:37 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,641,405 times
Quote:
I have hard time with the chance argument, it's like saying "God did it", neither as really satsifying and both are saying "I don't know" because they don't.
It's not an argument, just a perspective. The odds are astronomical, many many MANY times less likely then you winning the powerball lottery. And we all know how slim those odds are.

It's either coincidence or it's not. Based purely on the odds, it requires more faith to believe it's chance then to believe it's the work of some higher intelligence/consciousness.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:51 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,902,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
It's not an argument, just a perspective. The odds are astronomical, many many MANY times less likely then you winning the powerball lottery. And we all know how slim those odds are.

It's either coincidence or it's not. Based purely on the odds, it requires more faith to believe it's chance then to believe it's the work of some higher intelligence/consciousness.
What do you think of teleology and that Daniel Dennet the philosopher thinks that the human condition has inborn evolved need to search for meaning and look for meaning when is in in fact none?

Are we wired to look for meaning when it reality there never was one.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,798,766 times
There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every person, and it can never be filled by any created thing.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 AM

86 posts, read 78,867 times
Quote:
Single celled organism that's easy I do believe at one point I have read how they form in a lab... this is old solved news.
Really? Single celled organisms have formed in a lab . . . from non-living matter? Or are you talking about "proto-cells" - the self-organized lipo-protein structures that bear some resemblance to a cellular MEMBRANE? That is a FAR cry from a complete living cell.

I would have thought that laboratory creation of life, at any level, from non-living materials would have shocked the world and been headline news in every media and every country . . . but I haven't heard about it. Did I miss something?

Please direct me to a website where I can learn about this miracle.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,641,405 times
Quote:
What do you think of teleology and that Daniel Dennet the philosopher thinks that the human condition has inborn evolved need to search for meaning and look for meaning when is in in fact none?

Are we wired to look for meaning when it reality there never was one.
I don't pay much attention to philosophers, this is one reason why. It's not a looking for meaning, it's just an observation of the universe we find ourselves in. The odds of it all lining up "just right" are so ridiculous, it makes the possibility of intelligent design a legit thing. To some, that is so "out there" that they automatically reject the idea without even entertaining it. It's a threat to their ego, since their ego is wrapped up in their belief system.

I don't know if a search for meaning has evolved in/along with us or not, but it's an assumption to think there is none.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM

684 posts, read 871,580 times
If there is no God, then the purpose of mankind could be and should be to fill that void (nature abhors a vacuum) ; i.e., to become God.

Setting that argument aside, individuals can and should find meaning in their life; there are unlimited options for doing so.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 AM

27 posts, read 66,908 times
I really believe at some point humans are going to figure out how to be immortal. We were just born at the wrong time. It amazes me the people that lived million years ago. They never knew how far humanity would go. Or maybe not. Perhaps an asteroid will end our suffering. Anyway at some point in the future the earth will also be destroyed unless we figure out how to move really far from here. oh wait! galaxies also can die.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 3,954,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheMath7 View Post
Really? Single celled organisms have formed in a lab . . . from non-living matter? Or are you talking about "proto-cells" - the self-organized lipo-protein structures that bear some resemblance to a cellular MEMBRANE? That is a FAR cry from a complete living cell.

I would have thought that laboratory creation of life, at any level, from non-living materials would have shocked the world and been headline news in every media and every country . . . but I haven't heard about it. Did I miss something?

Please direct me to a website where I can learn about this miracle.
Scientists create the first life form with 'alien' DNA | The Verge

(note that this is a very recent development)

Anybody want to rent the full article from Nature for $4.99 and send me the entirety of the text via message? Heh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy