Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,639,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Perhaps you need to listen to your own advice? You completely missed the answer to the question you posed.

I will answer it again in more detail.

Are you asking how does DNA, BTW which does not have the attribute of being dead or alive (it's a molecule not an organism), be used to study evolution?

DNA is a fairly stable molecule and is a useful tool in comparative genomics especially in large-scale studies of vertebrate genome evolution, as well as comparative and human medicine.

Comparative genomics as a tool to understand evolution and disease
DNA not dead or alive? Exactly what does that mean? Purgatory?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:53 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,276,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
DNA not dead or alive? Exactly what does that mean? Purgatory?
You are the one who made this claim:
Quote:
The only reason scientists are looking for Evolution in dead DNA (how the heck does dead matter evolve without some mysterious force behind it such as "Natural Selection"?) is because of the obvious materialist bias of science.
Care to elaborate what you meant by dead DNA? This is your claim not mine.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You are the one who made this claim:

Care to elaborate what you meant by dead DNA? This is your claim not mine.
DNA is a construct of science and you were the one who said DNA is not dead or alive.

As far as I am concerned there is dead matter and life. Life evolves and creates. DNA is nothing more than a manifestation of life, not the other way around.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
DNA is a construct of science and you were the one who said DNA is not dead or alive.
Again your claim:
Quote:
The only reason scientists [u]are looking for Evolution in dead DNA (how the heck does dead matter evolve without some mysterious force behind it such as "Natural Selection"?) is because of the obvious materialist bias of science.
Construct of science? Not quite. It's clear you know nothing about DNA or molecular science for that matter.

To answer to the question DNA is just a chemical entity. DNA cannot be duplicated itself without other substances such as proteins which are also chemical compounds. Thus DNA is a non-living molecular compound.

The term dead DNA is not used in science.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
Quote:
Exactly. When you dig down far enough what you are left with its a philosophical question (I.e. quantum interpretation) and not a scientific one, and since the topic of Evolution is entirely a philosophical one and should be approached with philosophical toools, e.g. observations, pattern recognition, clue solving. And it should be approached from many vantage points in order to find the fulcrum. For me, the fulcrum is Creative Intelligence it what Bergson called Elan Vital.

Science cannot and should not be involved with nature of Evolution. It can only observe it and provide clues. It cannot pose answers. Only philosophers are in a position to provide possible answers.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Science cannot and should not be involved with nature of Evolution. It can only observe it and provide clues. It cannot pose answers. Only philosophers are in a position to provide possible answers.
LOL! Science is the only entity that has posed all the answers about Evolution.

Attached Thumbnails
The Philosophy of Evolution-evolution.jpg  

Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Again your claim:

Construct of science? Not quite. It's clear you know nothing about DNA or molecular science for that matter.

To answer to the question DNA is just a chemical entity. DNA cannot be duplicated itself without other substances such as proteins which are also chemical compounds. Thus DNA is a non-living molecular compound.

The term dead DNA is not used in science.
OK. DNA is a chemical entity. It is" non-living", a phrase which I guess is the scientific euphemism for DEAD, or do you have a problem with this word?

So our dead, non-living DNA is just a chemical compound. Where then is the life?

Let's keep going because you are a perfect representative of science.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
LOL! Science is the only entity that has posed all the answers about Evolution.
Lol. Thanks. Let's look at these "answers" in depth. I can't wait. Especially when we get to the magic part.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Lol. Thanks. Let's look at these "answers" in depth. I can't wait. Especially when we get to the magic part.
What magic are you referring to here?

Can you tell us one non-scientist who has made any type of credible and verifiable scientific contribution to Evolution?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
OK. DNA is a chemical entity. It is" non-living", a phrase which I guess is the scientific euphemism for DEAD, or do you have a problem with this word?

So our dead, non-living DNA is just a chemical compound. Where then is the life?

Let's keep going because you are a perfect representative of science.
I am not here to educate you about science that you can learn on your own...assuming you have the aptitude.

You have no knowledge about DNA or how it functions which makes all of your claims invalid opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy