Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,301 times

Advertisements

Why is this? Despite how much our world supposedly values what is "good" why is it that the good people always seemingly struggle just to survive while the evil and wicked people thrive and flourish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Why is this? Despite how much our world supposedly values what is "good" why is it that the good people always seemingly struggle just to survive while the evil and wicked people thrive and flourish?
Always isn't true but seemingly is.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
we have limits. I wish I didn't have them sometimes too. I wish I could talk one thing and do a different thing. Well, I have to lie to my kids, totally honest isn't good either. I mean her butt did look big, but I wasn't saying anything.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
That's a false perception. Nobody is good. And really, the reason many so-called "good" people are poor - at least in first world countries anyway - are because of the negative self-talk and attitude that's become commonplace among the working class. Not to mention irresponsible behavior. Once we start changing and shifting our attitudes and hopefully get people to make better choices, things will begin to change.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times
I've met plenty of wicked poor people and plenty of good and just successful people all the same that I've met vice versa.

I think that people often have, for any one of a variety of reasons, a propensity for seeing one or the other (the successful or the downtrodden) as being inherently more or less virtuous than the other; a staunch neocon who believes that the best people in America are people to be found driving Escalades in gated communities, or a social justice warrior who believes that the best people in America are to be found living in housing projects. They start to believe that the best people are either guaranteed to float to the top, or sink to the bottom.

It sure can seem that it's stacked that way at times, but I think a lot of that is simply confirmation bias. When I was a poor kid who coveted a stable life and economic freedom, the stories about rich people doing bad things to their fellow man were the loudest. When I started to make more money and by proxy was surrounded by more middle-class, and then wealthy people, I discovered that most of them were basically good people all the same that the working class and poor folks I grew up with were. I also realized that I'd actually been wronged more by other individuals who shared the same class group I was in, because those were the people around me.

I realized that neither those who flourish nor those who flounder are anymore or less apt to be good or bad than the other, they just generally had different skillsets and different numbers in the birth lottery.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,809,462 times
Quote:
'seem'

There's your problem - perception, not reality.

Now, as to the broader notion of why it is possible to succeed while not being good (and even while being downright bad) in a world that collectively values goodness - why would you expect it otherwise? What system cannot be gamed? Why should one expect that a collective effort towards goodness (upon which there will, it should be noted, never be a consensual definition) would preclude all successful badness?

To pursue the elimination of the bad is laudable, but this is simply a goal, with the realization that the goal can only be approached more closely and never actually obtained.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:48 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,855 times
It isn't just about money, it seems the good get horrid diseases also. Or they die young, while the evil ones live on healthy as a horse.

I believe a lot of the rich a-holes were good before they became rich. It goes to their head.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:29 PM

19,020 posts, read 27,579,284 times
It goes to your understanding of what a true human is. Why it is here vs somewhere else. From one perspective, we are all here simply because we are rather not 'good", whatever "good" may be generally accepted at a particular historical moment and by a particular culture/society.
Then, there is temporal understanding of "success". He has more of ( ) (-----------) (----------) - fill the blanks = he is successful. But the time comes, and "he" has nothing to take along, but the account of deeds really good or bad, as THEN he will be judged by one and only true judge that has the right to judge.
So what is good, or bad? What is success, or lack of it? What "good" did it make Steve Jobst to have all his possessions, and to die just like any other bum with none?
Why is it that way? Because we are all here for reason not so "good". Somewhere in our order of progression, we "fell out" of progression, regressed, and now are slowly paving our way back. But you don't really think, such a gathering will be really "good" in its majority, right?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:03 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,178 times
Quote:
Logically speaking, if two people are running the race and one follows the rules and the other doesn't (but cuts corners and takes short cuts and cheats), the one who cheats would win. (Unless of course the "good" one is much stronger and still wins even in spite of the other cutting corners.)

But in our world randomness and good luck and bad luck play a big role and both types of people could either win or lose.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
This is the million dollar question in my book.
Karma doesn't exist.
I've seen the lowest forms of scum- molesters, criminals, etc. have easy lives, &
the most loving, kind, good hearted, honest people get totally fu*ked over in life.

So this question is always something I ask pastors, when I happen to meet them
I wonder if anyone will post an answer that actually does make sense......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy