Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:11 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times

Advertisements

To further cheer everyone up, if you are 60, and live ten more years you have 3,653 days. Use then well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 AM

231 posts, read 229,125 times
I agree that OP should rethink his belief system.

Sounds like athiesm isn't working out.

Trust in God is more secure. Start reading the book of Matthew in the New Testament Bible.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:00 AM

712 posts, read 842,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvpix1212 View Post
No one escapes death.
We will all die.
As a materialist atheist - I believe there is nothing but matter in the universe -no god , gods , spirits soul or anything ONLY atoms.

I believe we are our bodies more precisely our brains.
Our consciousness is a result of our brain.
And once we die, and our brain decomposes, that's it, we will never exist or experience anything for all eternity.
How do you handle that fact?.
To me it's terrifying and depressing that I will never experience anything again for all eternity.
Even so, you are the LIFE of your ancestors, living in the present. Your future LIFE will be alive living in your descendants. Learn to appreciate and nurture this undeniable reality, and you'll experience the full bounty of being alive, and you will transcend material limitations and anxieties! Peace be with you +

Old 08-05-2016, 11:48 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Wrong. It is not unanswerable. I have sufficient education and experience to comprehend the nature of the question and the answer to it. The fact that you lack that ability and are limited by it is not a reflection on me. Your limitations are not mine. If you do not like the answer, that is unfortunate for you, but it does not invalidate the answer.
You are letting your ego cloud your judgment; plus, you're getting a little testy, again, thanks to your ego. Learn to accept the truth that all humans are limited and fallible (except for you, right?). You and your education and experience are great (probably more like stupendous in your eyes), but you and every other human can only function within the confines of human limitation. But if you want to arrogantly proclaim otherwise, that's your freedom. But thinkibg that you know things that are not knowable or that you can transcend innate human limitation by using your education and experience is, in my view, a little arrogant and presumptuous, as pertaining to the metaphysical.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:55 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
To further cheer everyone up, if you are 60, and live ten more years you have 3,653 days. Use then well.
That only takes one to 70,which is below the average life expectancy.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:17 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,282 times
The great Alan Watts explaining that
'Nothingness' is 'Everything'.

Dim the lights, make the video full screen, and jack up the volume. You feel much better afterwards :-)

Old 08-07-2016, 11:28 AM

652 posts, read 682,491 times
Sooner or later, we will all die whether we like it or not. So, you make the most out of your life and enjoy it!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:00 PM

19 posts, read 23,535 times
Hello OP. I may have a little insight into what you're feeling. One night while having dinner with friends, I found myself picturing everyone there as disappeared, and me as well. All the conversation, laughter, food, thoughts, emotions...vanished and forgotten. I was nowhere, nothing. It was a horrible sensation.

In the last few decades, I've had a couple of close calls with death. And I have to agree with other comments that death is one of the tough things about life that we have to accept. Some part of us may wish we still had our mother's undivided love, attention and protection, like when we were young. But that's just not possible. The older you get, the longer the list gets: All the things you miss, and wish you could get back.

What has helped me is the simple act of trying to have a good day. How can I make this day more interesting, more productive? How can I be a little kinder to the people I encounter? What beauty and pleasure can I bring into my life today?

To quote "Game of Thrones" (sorry!) "What do we say to the God of Death? Not today."

Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladonin View Post
That sees like a sad way to live. I'd rather believe in God and eternal life than think that this little time on earth is it. To each their own I suppose but if I was a non-believer I would live a short and reckless life and be a horrible person, cuz there would be no consequences for my actions!
Peace
So the only thing that keeps you from being a horrible person is some religious belief? Seriously? That says a lot about you (and you didn't even realize it).

You don't have to believe in some fairy-tale afterlife to be a good, decent human being. It's really sad that you could think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
I agree that OP should rethink his belief system.

Sounds like athiesm isn't working out.

Trust in God is more secure. Start reading the book of Matthew in the New Testament Bible.

You DO understand that people with OTHER religions believe in them as much as you do in yours, right? (Oh, but yours MUST be right and theirs MUST be wrong. Um, OK.)

OP, I think you should start believing in the god Mabel *, who will give you eternal life if you believe in her ONLY and reject all other religions. She is the only savior. If you do not believe in her, you will be damned for all eternity. If you DO believe in her, you will never have to fear death again, because Mabel will be waiting for you "on the other side."

(How's that sound, Postal77? Pretty silly to you, huh? Well, that's how silly YOUR beliefs sound to people who don't believe the same religious "stuff" that you do.)

===========

* Mabel is my dearly departed and much-beloved cat. She was kind of like a god to me.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:31 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I mean, seriously? No one knows for sure, but to come up with fairy tales to make ourselves feel better ... well, again, seriously?

OR more likely, you're just DEAD and will not even know it. I don't know why people find that such a scary idea.

(Incidentally, I would LOVE it if there were really a wonderful, magical afterlife. I mean, of COURSE I would like to meet my father who died when I was not quite 2 years old, and see friends who perished LONG before their time, and see beloved animals who were and are so incredibly dear to me. But intellectually? It's simply impossible to believe any of that stuff, no matter how good it might make me feel. It's much more likely that we're just dead. Sorry, but we're just dead.)
You don't need intellect to believe in the afterlife; you need faith.

And it's not coming up with fairy tales, again, it's faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy