Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: would you want to be a survivor if 90% of your sex was wiped out?
yes(male) 64 52.46%
no(male) 6 4.92%
yes(female) 27 22.13%
no(female) 25 20.49%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,124,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
The life of women would be horrible if the world were composed of mostly men. It is difficult enough now. They would be nothing but property held by the most powerful men. They would prisoners and slaves and commodities. It just doesn’t bear thinking about.
In a World like that I would make it my mission to liberate as many as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 04:26 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,068,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
In a World like that I would make it my mission to liberate as many as I can.
The world is very much like that for many women now—the Middle East, for example. The lives of women everywhere were much like that for most of history. Only a very thin veneer of civilization makes life different for western women now. Margaret Atwood’s book, “The Handmaid’s Tale”, resonates with women because it is a reminder of what was and what could be. I read it years ago and again recently. It is frightening, but only for women, of course.

Liberate, indeed, I’m sure.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:39 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,124,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
The world is very much like that for many women now—the Middle East, for example. The lives of women everywhere were much like that for most of history. Only a very thin veneer of civilization makes life different for western women now. Margaret Atwood’s book, “The Handmaid’s Tale”, resonates with women because it is a reminder of what was and what could be. I read it years ago and again recently. It is frightening, but only for women, of course.

Liberate, indeed, I’m sure.
The book you you mentioned had nothing to do with female population, it was about fertility. very few women were fertile.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,068,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
The book you you mentioned had nothing to do with female population, it was about fertility. very few women were fertile.
Read it and pay attention to how the few fertile women,and all the women for that matter, were treated.

Last edited by Gusano; 10-30-2017 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 09:25 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,047,986 times
Yes. I've never gotten along well with other females. The absolute WORST bosses are females. As a child, I was a tomboy, always helping my dad in the fields or playing outside. I suppose I was a bit of a Daddy's girl. Throughout my life, I've much preferred the company of males.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:11 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,999,646 times
As an elder woman, I'd want to be a survivor, but I think I'd do it on my own somewhere. Living with one man is a lot of work, can't imagine living with 90% males around.

Unless they learn to do their own laundry, I guess.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,834,018 times
Ummm. I don't know. Kids are expensive to raise. Who'd pay the bills?

Old 11-23-2017, 10:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,386 times
I read this posting a few weeks ago, had nothing to say, but today something happened which made me think of it.

Today was Thanksgiving, and the roads were empty. Holidays... where the MAJORITY of people stay home or in their in-laws/friends
houses was quite a treat. I could drive as far as I wanted, almost as fast as I wanted, with 'no others' to contend with.

I want to remind people reading this thread about the math. IF 3.5B males are on Earth today, and 90% of them died, that still leaves 350M.
Like all religious delusions, all MY family, friends, and Tribe survive - a few crocodile tears for all the far-away-others that don't.

The science-fiction extremes where posters talk about "men being kept in barns and milked like cows against their will while an army of women with tranquilizer guns stood watch if one tries to escape" is just silly. You still have 350M of us. You'd have to get down to like sub-1M males before it would get to 'quarantine' procotols.

If I was one of the surviving men, I honestly believe I would be quite happy. At 1 of 350M vs 3.5B, the ratio of men to women would about 1 for 10. I'd be like a male lion, with a Pride of ten wives, and about 20-30 kids.

I'd be a minor celebrity, restaurants would comp me free meals, just for my picture, as they would pay money to be able to say "men can be found here!" on social media. Similarly, you'd get free swag and free entrance to salons, theme parks, and sporting events. Just like today, where Club XS in Vegas is $100 cover for men, and $35 for women. Imagine how bizarre
your tax return would be - the govt would pay you refunds/tax credits for each woman you impregnated, and women would have to pay penalties for not being pregnant or miscarriage (we got a planet to save here). They would invent drugs which kill XX-seeds in the gonads, until the balance was restored. Brutish, primitive countries would simply drown females at birth like kittens in a burlap sack, in some awful nightmare prior century.

If you want a functional example society, where the women are all the celebate workers, and the few men have the whopping responsibility of impregnating the Queen, look at Honeybees.

It's easy to project, and see that people who value a 1-to-1 monogamous relationship with 1 other human being, would have an extremely hard time adapting to a world where their choices are

A) be one of my 10 wives and settle for timeslicing
B) be involuntarily celebate (aka Forever Alone)
C) go full lesbian everyday by default, because it's the only way the vast majority of monogamous women can have that sort of relationship
D) MASS technological reproduction, cloning, simulated android/software men (like the movie "Her" with Joaquin Phoenix, in reverse)

In a world where men were special and rare, would be ripe for abuse by a minority of sociopathic males. Although there's some female prison guards and I'm sure they are good at what they do, if the MAJORITY of police and soldier forces were composed of average women, I think a few focused and determined outlaw biker gangs could Run Wild - based on what the 'average woman' looks like at my local shopping mall.

You wonder about the pace of technological advancement, when the working majority is composed of women. I did a quick google for the list of Nobel Prize winners in Physics and although I have Mad Respect for Madame Curie in 1903 discovering Radiation, there's only 1 other woman on the list, as far as I can see. Please point it out if I missed one. I didn't scan Chemistry or Econ, and for the purposes of technological advancement, a Nobel Prize in Literature doesn't count. (I now see a bakers dozen of women awarded the Nobel Prize in Med or Chemistry (including Marie Curie's daughter, Irene)

I fully recognize it's a betrayl of my fellow Man, that I am quick to imagine and believe my days and nights would be filled with delight, if 90% of all you died and I was left in the privledged position of Survivor. I actually prefer the company of women today, in real life. They are more apt to share, to talk, to make friendship, to express affection, to txt randomly, to wish me Happy Thanksgiving. Males are competitive, always engaging in one-upmanship, they are far more political, conniving, violent, et cetera. I fully believe if I had a harem - and this was a socially-acceptable default - I would love and cherish each woman.

In the reverse situation, where 90% of the earth is male, and only 10% female, would be Biblical Hell on Earth. The vast majority of men would view 'murder' as a completely acceptable way to 'acquire a woman' that you spied just walking down the street, if you gauged that you could take down her husband/brother/chaparone. Well, at least until Castration instead of Circumcision, Polyandry, Homosexuality, Forever Alone became socialized as the default behaviors, 3 or 4 generations down the line.

Last edited by SUPbud; 11-23-2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 07:17 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,236,688 times
This has happened, historically. After the disastrous wars in the 1860s in Paraguay, it is estimated that only a few thousand Paraguayan males of breeding age remained alive. It is thought by some that nearly every Paraguayan alive today has an ancestor who was a crew member of the first trading boats from Argentina to come into Paraguay after the war.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 AM

5,418 posts, read 3,633,420 times
due to all the research I have done as well as others, 90% mortality rate is quite feasible and for some is survivable, but only with the right skills and knowledge, for instance don't expect to be able to employ a plumber or an electrician or even a builder once the 90% have departed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy