Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 07:04 PM

216 posts, read 67,151 times

Advertisements

Time is not an illusion but only has relevance because of the physical world that we live in and observe every day. If the entire universe was a vast void with nothing physical in it then time would have no relevance. The passing of time is used to measure and understand the physical world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 04:55 PM

143 posts, read 45,687 times
Time is a concept. Autonomeously does not occur. In order time could exist, it must always be of something (of a physical object). There is no possibility to define time because there is no circumvent to get rid of its synonyms and this is a known logical error since antiquity, called variously: idem per idem, circulus vitiosus, or circulus in definiendo. All we can do is to describe it by means of its synonyms which I did in December 2004. My description of time:
Time is the motion of any form of matter in relation to any form of matter. Also:
Time is the motion of any form of any physical object in relation to any physical object.
Synonyms of time: motion, change, spinning, vibration - practically any verb.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:55 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Time is the 4th dimension of space. This should really be in the science section.

Depends on what you believe Time is. I know what Einstein said. I know what science is made to say. If that is true, you'd be right. But there is another definition of time. Time is simply a man-made measurement to get us through the day or the seasons or through history. Where do we decide what time is. To my uninformed mind, it is definitely not a 4th dimension of space. There is space in a glass. Where is its fourth dimension?

Please do not ask me to explain "why not". I can't. Some things just do not make sense to the uncluttered mind. And I hear JB muttering "uneducated mind". :-)

Old 09-05-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piepszot View Post
Time is a concept. Autonomeously does not occur. In order time could exist, it must always be of something (of a physical object). There is no possibility to define time because there is no circumvent to get rid of its synonyms and this is a known logical error since antiquity, called variously: idem per idem, circulus vitiosus, or circulus in definiendo. All we can do is to describe it by means of its synonyms which I did in December 2004. My description of time:
Time is the motion of any form of matter in relation to any form of matter. Also:
Time is the motion of any form of any physical object in relation to any physical object.
Synonyms of time: motion, change, spinning, vibration - practically any verb.

Time is how long it took me to read your post: 30 seconds according to the man-made clock that measures "how long".

Old 09-06-2022, 08:31 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Without out a watch no one knows what time it is. In the universe around us things just come and go appearing and disappearing.

Old 09-06-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Without out a watch no one knows what time it is. In the universe around us things just come and go appearing and disappearing.

It has been pointed out that a measurement of time was not needed until agriculture came into existence. We have to plant by seasons And taking care of the farm animals requires some scheduling. Hazel

Old 09-11-2022, 06:05 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
How can we feel time? Would time stop altogether let's say if the Earth stopped rotating
"Time has no beginning and history has no bounds." Gordon Lightfoot, Canadian Railroad Trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzauTuRG78
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy