Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This starts smelling of trolling.
We told you - it is your personal, and yours only, decision.
Put big boy pants on and make it. Establish, what is more important to you - politics, indoctrinated into you by society, or your conscience.
Then, make that decision and live with it.

...he's right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 03:34 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
You lost me with your first sentence. You are making a judgment based upon what concrete evidence to support your assertion? Personally, I think you should stay far, far away from the military because I can assure you with 100% certainty that you will disagree with the military’s decisions more than you will agree with them. As a member of the military your job is not to think, question, or rationalize. Your job is very simple: do as you are told to do. End of discussion.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 PM

388 posts, read 307,611 times
I do not subscribe to a utilitarian view of morality, mostly because of the issue you are encountering here: even assuming there was some objective way to measure utility across different populations with different wants and needs, it is impossible to accurately gauge the large-scale utility of any one individual's choice.

You keep repeating this argument: "if everyone who has the choice to not serve does that the military would probably collapse and a war would ensue causing many more deaths than if people had served." It is true that if everyone refused to serve in the military, the military would probably cease to function as it currently does. But it would not necessarily follow that more war or more death would ensue. I would argue the opposite, in fact; the fewer people willing to be cannon fodder for the interests of a nation, the more people will eventually live in peace with each other.

I realize I am quite radical in this regard, but I would say it is morally wrong to serve in *any* military voluntarily. I believe the only valid use of force is in defense against an immediate, quantifiable threat, and then only the minimum amount of force required to neutralize that specific threat is justified. Since every military accepts the concept of "collateral damage" - a euphemism for the death of innocent people or the destruction of innocent people's property - it is impossible to participate voluntarily in a military without being complicit in what I believe are immoral acts.

But, as others have said, only you can make this decision for yourself. It does not sound like you would make a good soldier to me.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:03 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyEel View Post
...I wasn’t able to refute this argument so therefore, I now have to accept that it is moral to serve in the IDF willingly. Although I am still very uncertain about this position, so if you could invalidate my argument or validate it further I would be very grateful.
It is not the responsibility of anyone to invalidate or validate your argument. You would be the one serving, not anyone else.

If you think it's immoral, then don't serve.

If you conclude that it is moral, then serve.

That's it. It's all on you, not everyone else. Whatever you choose, you can only put that on yourself, not anyone else. Your choices have consequences, no matter what choice you make - you're going to have to figure this out for yourself and deal with those consequences, whatever they may be, yourself.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This starts smelling of trolling.
We told you - it is your personal, and yours only, decision.
Put big boy pants on and make it. Establish, what is more important to you - politics, indoctrinated into you by society, or your conscience.
Then, make that decision and live with it.
You will have to stick with your decision when you enlist .When your in is not the time to work on your philosophy .or you will have a VERY bad experience .

Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 AM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
Each country should be able to provide solutions to protect their borders. It’s the imperial component that is currently the problem with the system. I cannot sign up for the waste and lies the military endorses. Nor will I protect the greedy leadership protecting resources for investors. If leaders want to fight for money they can send their families to the battle.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:11 PM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
B*ll**** post, obviously written by an Israeli hater/Anti-semite. FACT.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Why is your reason for joining IDF? Do you need a job?

If so have you considered other options like the French Foreign Legion? The French Foreign Legion will likely accept you, and are not engaged in the same conflicts as IDF.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:05 AM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why is your reason for joining IDF? Do you need a job?

If so have you considered other options like the French Foreign Legion? The French Foreign Legion will likely accept you, and are not engaged in the same conflicts as IDF.
Isreal has almost universal conscription. To not serve is sending a message to the rest of the community that I am not really a part of you but an outsider.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:32 PM

23 posts, read 12,686 times
Usually a person doesn't know if what a military is moral or not until years after the war is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy