Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 10:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times

Advertisements

I wish I was a bit taller but not something I can control. I’m 5’10” so a fairly average height. I wouldn’t want to be “tall” personally but 6’0” or 6’1” would be great, just the right height. I will say at least I got lucky in my body build - my best friend is 6’1” with midget legs to me, he’s 3 inches taller but his legs are 2” shorter! So he’s all torso and it’s just a weird look to me. My wife’s mom is like that too, massive torso on a small body and stubby little legs. My second best friend is my height but with 2 inch shorter legs too, so I think I got lucky because the whole long torso thing just looks bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 05:44 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I'm barely 5 feet. I'd take the money. But I'm female.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:19 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Napoleon was short, as was Lawrence of Arabia, Ghandi, Churchill, ML King, Alexander the great, Isaac Newton.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:18 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Oddball question here.

Here goes, all my life I have been very insecure and more than unhappy about my height. I am 5 feet 5 or 167cm for the euro people.

I dream daily about being 6 feet 2 and above. So much so that if God offered me being that tall or millions and millions of dollars as in half billion I rather have the height. No kidding. You can buy material things with money but that longing in the heart stays till you hit the grave.

What do you say? For the height challenged out there would you choose vast wealth to last generations or be the height of you dreams.

Yes, I have little person syndrome. Women can have that too so I don't call it you know what.
I'm not a religious guy, so I don't see my body, height or my money as a 'temple', per your thread title. That said, from a philosophical standpoint, part of happiness is the ability to expand our consciousness and look outside ourselves in the pursuit of awareness and thus, 'happiness'. Dreaming about something which you cannot control (on a daily basis no less) is a waste of energy (and will only serve to constrict positive efforts towards things you can control).

That may be easy for me to say on the surface as a guy who is taller than average, but think in terms of self-realization rather than ego identification.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:56 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Oddball question here.

Here goes, all my life I have been very insecure and more than unhappy about my height. I am 5 feet 5 or 167cm for the euro people.

I dream daily about being 6 feet 2 and above. So much so that if God offered me being that tall or millions and millions of dollars as in half billion I rather have the height. No kidding. You can buy material things with money but that longing in the heart stays till you hit the grave.

What do you say? For the height challenged out there would you choose vast wealth to last generations or be the height of you dreams.

Yes, I have little person syndrome. Women can have that too so I don't call it you know what.
watch this, I've seen this guys wife, she's drop dead gorgeous, they have a little girl.
God doesn't make junk, we do.

https://youtu.be/8jhcxOhIMAQ

Old 04-06-2020, 11:02 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
There is no question that height for a male affects every area of his life unless he excels in something that physicality does not have any relevance, meaning an intellectual field. Humans are animals that stand upright, animals respect size.

What I have not understood is why some men marry very petite women if height is so important. It makes me think that women are the real power in initiating marriage and men just go along. Similarly why do some men marry women that are really stupid but are attractive. Do these men give no thought to their future offspring?

I am not male but can understand why the OP would choose height over money. I do not agree with height being a measure of a man and in fact do not like overly tall men. But the world makes a lot of "rules" I don't agree with.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I wish I was a bit taller but not something I can control. I’m 5’10” so a fairly average height. I wouldn’t want to be “tall” personally but 6’0” or 6’1” would be great, just the right height. I will say at least I got lucky in my body build - my best friend is 6’1” with midget legs to me, he’s 3 inches taller but his legs are 2” shorter! So he’s all torso and it’s just a weird look to me. My wife’s mom is like that too, massive torso on a small body and stubby little legs. My second best friend is my height but with 2 inch shorter legs too, so I think I got lucky because the whole long torso thing just looks bizarre.

Hmmm, longer legs, shorter torso, eh? I'm picturing URKEL :

Old 04-13-2020, 03:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I wish I was a bit taller but not something I can control. I’m 5’10” so a fairly average height. I wouldn’t want to be “tall” personally but 6’0” or 6’1” would be great, just the right height.
I would not be any shorter in exchange for money. I'm already not thrilled with my height.

I'm also 5'10", which is adequate but uninspiring. I'm male too. Being a 5'10" female is an easier way to go through life than being a 5'10" male. No one considers a 5'10" male short, so I have that going for me.

Over the last 10-15 years, there's been a big push by single women for men 6'0" and up. This sort of behavior is most pronounced on the apps like Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge. Due to most women getting bombarded by matches and/or messages, they strongly prefer to interact with men 6'0" and up. While 5'10" isn't considered short, it's 2 inches off the ideal minimum. Due to this, and due to having to stand out among a sea of potential matches or messages, I have chosen to meet women primarily through cold approaches in person, usually at non-bar venues. I can stand out more by doing these types of approaches, so that's in my best interest.

I also have athletic interests, and some women that are most interested in some of the same athletic endeavors as I am are either my height or taller. A 5'11"-6'1" woman isn't going to naturally be excited about a 5'10' man, so I have to have exceptional charisma. Even 5'8"-5'10" can be a challenge for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm barely 5 feet. I'd take the money. But I'm female.
Being female is an advantage, at most heights. I would rather be a woman who is 5'11"+ than a man who is below 5'8".

Old 05-03-2020, 08:34 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
I'm female, and being just barely over five feet has never been an advantage. It's just too short to be effective in any role other than staying out of people's way. The only way to get around that is having good brains that someone will pay you for, and I don't have that either.
In school, I was the last one chosen for teams and the first one out. Men don't like short women unless the woman is extra cute and shapely, and I'm not. I'm plain, droopy looking, and what some might call "mentally challenged in the face." Not only that, my body has an odd proportion. My middle is short and thick, my lower legs are sticks, my butt is flat like my face. My own mother used to tell me I was ugly and my stomach sticks out too much.
I can't think of an instance when some kids in school didn't point out my unfortunate looks as well as how short I am once I got older. Even kids now will look and me laugh, say they are almost taller or are actually taller than I am. If I would have been 5'6 or above, I could have had at least real jobs, romantic interests, and a love for being alive.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:57 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, height can be corrected. Awkward, but it can be done.
I am 6'1'' 1/2, was much taller, but there is not really much advantage to it. Pants are still hard to find for reasonable price. People have strange reactions to your size. So, maybe you don't know, what you asking for. Head been bumped many times. too many.
Money surely will give you plenty of mundane satisfaction though, including beautiful females of your choice of height. As it was said in classic movie, Chicks dig duds with money.

If you were well off, people tend to not notice your height, but glamor instead.
If you're well off, women might be entertained by your money at first, but in short order, they'd notice your personality, and if it wasn't pleasant, or if it was brainless, they wouldn't waste much time with you, unless they were brainless, too.

The OP's best bet is to cultivate a winning personality in some form. I've seen women flock to short guys, and 5'5 is tall compared to the guys I've seen with women revolving around them, if they're fun or interesting to be with. They'll even go for ugly guys, if the ugly guys are interesting, and make them feel noticed an appreciated. I've seen this play out all around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy