Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 07:37 AM

160 posts, read 146,757 times

Advertisements

By non life essential I mean topics that your not required to learn like work or school related. Things that you can be ignorant of and still comfortably live your life. A part of me is curious to learn but the lazy part of me usually wins. I'm looking for reasons to learn about science and it's different fields. Learn about history, technology, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 09:40 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Why?

Old 03-05-2022, 08:57 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Why?
To keep your mind active and to evolve.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:04 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
By non life essential I mean topics that your not required to learn like work or school related. Things that you can be ignorant of and still comfortably live your life. A part of me is curious to learn but the lazy part of me usually wins. I'm looking for reasons to learn about science and it's different fields. Learn about history, technology, etc.
Think of an era in history or science that might interest you. Ancient Egypt, the Titanic, the old west, famous people, art, looking at timelines of history can be interesting. Looking for what was happening in one part of the world as compared to other countries. It isn’t laziness it’s finding a subject that interest you enough you want to look into it more.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:11 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
To keep your mind active and to evolve.

There's plenty of important and essential things to think about, especially these days.

No need to seek out the uninteresting and superfluous to keep your mind active and engaged.

Try these two:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world
https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/pr...-rights-as-men

Old 03-06-2022, 03:32 PM

133 posts, read 95,691 times
I agree with hothulamaui.

You have to be interested in something to pursue information about it. He suggested a useful range of topics. If you don't have in inquiring mind of course, you have no hope.

I may have been fortunate, rather than unfortunate in that my wide family used to talk and believe in absolute rubbish, so I developed the habit of questioning almost everything, unless I saw the evidence myself. And its amazing how often you discover that sources of information have been misquoted.

My suggestion would be to get a pen and paper and start making a list of anything and everything you are skeptical about. Anything!! If you are skeptical about any teachings in life, you will have succeeded in questioning something. Looking for answers is a start.

Then one by one start looking up the topics in Google. With luck, you may find a subject that catches your interest.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:36 PM

160 posts, read 146,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogles31731 View Post
I agree with hothulamaui.

You have to be interested in something to pursue information about it. He suggested a useful range of topics. If you don't have in inquiring mind of course, you have no hope.

I may have been fortunate, rather than unfortunate in that my wide family used to talk and believe in absolute rubbish, so I developed the habit of questioning almost everything, unless I saw the evidence myself. And its amazing how often you discover that sources of information have been misquoted.

My suggestion would be to get a pen and paper and start making a list of anything and everything you are skeptical about. Anything!! If you are skeptical about any teachings in life, you will have succeeded in questioning something. Looking for answers is a start.

Then one by one start looking up the topics in Google. With luck, you may find a subject that catches your interest.
What did they believe in

Old 03-06-2022, 04:37 PM

663 posts, read 433,666 times
Quote:
If you are looking for a sampling of topics that might lead you to more deeper exploring you can try an online service like CuriosityStream.com. The videos are 1 hour or less. It is cheap.. less than 20.00 a year, but has a wide range of topics you can sample and see what peaks your interest. Topics include history, nature, technology, society, and a lot more.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:34 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be comfortable if I lost the desire to learn new things.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:22 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
If you have areas you do not have an affinity toward, one of the best things is to read some books meant to make concepts in said field more relatable and understandable to those things you encounter in everyday life.

An example:
Physics
Richard Feynman
Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman and What Do You Care What Other People Think
The Flying Circus of Physics, by Jearl Walker

To peak your interest read some non fiction of how people tried to use knowledge in everyday arenas.
Probability & Statistics read Bringing Down The House, by Ben Mezrich, it is the story of MIT students who went to Vegas to make money gambling at Blackjack. It was made into the movie, 21, (2008). If you need an entertainment aspect to it.

Former librarian of congress, Daniel Boorstin covers a lot of arenas and would likely help prompt an interest.
The Discovers, The Creators and The Guide to Pseudo-Events In America.

If you are a more 'visual learning' person, some of the older History Channel series had a lot of good information on science that came from interesting perspectives. How The Earth Was Made (geology), Life After People (mechanical nature of our built world, zoology etc). Many of these have been uploaded to Youtoob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy