Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:51 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are always making plans to either, A. travel for a week or two to Costa Rica or B. do a big sailing trip.
We are still in the planning stages but will eventually make a plan and stick to it but we always agree on one thing, neither of us are doing what we feel we should be doing.
We both talked about it the other day and we both feel like we are meant for something else. Neither of us see ourselves working in an office through to retirement, we both have a lot of great ideas for business, travel, etc.... but we always say we see ourselves doing something greater....

How do you guys feel? Are you doing what you thought you would be doing at your current age? Do you feel like you are destined for something better, different or greater?

I'm not talking about doing what you wish you could be doing but rather, physically feeling you are on another path.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:50 AM

748 posts, read 1,314,810 times
I felt the way you do for a while now... with a failed marriage and some other stuff going on I feel like I could be? SHOULD BE doing something else, better, more exciting. No idea what, and no idea when...

Last edited by valeeighty2; 11-27-2009 at 10:59 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Definitely! I've always had an adventurous spirit and curious nature. Have always been athletic and active. Yet I don't get out and do things as often as I like to or should. I get caught up with the grind of every day living and each year passes more quickly than the last. I don't feel like I was meant to be confinded a cubicle all day "bean counting" or doing the same thing each day. I need more than that, and hopefully my second career will be a better fit. I also need to commit myself to more playtime doing things I enjoy. I'll be the first to admit that it is sometimes laziness that gets in the way, or procrastination.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,648,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Definitely! I've always had an adventurous spirit and curious nature. Have always been athletic and active. Yet I don't get out and do things as often as I like to or should. I get caught up with the grind of every day living and each year passes more quickly than the last. I don't feel like I was meant to be confinded a cubicle all day "bean counting" or doing the same thing each day. I need more than that, and hopefully my second career will be a better fit. I also need to commit myself to more playtime doing things I enjoy. I'll be the first to admit that it is sometimes laziness that gets in the way, or procrastination.
Exactly! This is exactly what I'm talking about only we are in the early stages of doing something about it now. It might even be me doing my thing I've been learning about which is, teaching english as a second language. It's certainly not a lucrative career but what it lacks in financial gain, you gain far more in that warm and fuzzies department and to, it's something you do and feel good about doing.
It's definitely not off my list though! I just don't want to be that person that at age 70 says, "I should have done that" or be a person that regrets not giving things a shot.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Are you doing what you thought you would be doing at your current age? Do you feel like you are destined for something better, different or greater?

Thoughts?
no, I am not doing now what I "thought" I would be doing at this age
my life is very very different

life happens. It is how we respond to the life circumstances that come our way that determines our happiness.

as far as being "destined for something better, different, or greater" my definition of "better" is an increased capacity for joy and happiness and peace in my life. It is not a destination, but rather an ongoing process. We are ALWAYS growing and evolving into a bigger grander larger version of ourselves. It never stops.

what I am very pleased with today is my ability to live life on life's terms, and continue to expand and evolve. For me that is more about inner change, and less about the external stuff.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about doing what you wish you could be doing but rather, physically feeling you are on another path.

Thoughts?
yes, i have felt i was physically on the wrong path

when i was at home with three babies and at some lady's avon party and all these women were talking about the best hair removal products for the bikini line, and clear as a bell in my head I realized, "I do not belong here " and "This is not the life i want to live."

Keep your eye on the prize, keep yourself aimed in the direction of your heart's desire, life is for joy, not drudgery. Do what gives YOU pleasure, rather than trying to please others, or be what someone else says you SHOULD be.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
My girlfriend and I are always making plans to either, A. travel for a week or two to Costa Rica or B. do a big sailing trip.
We are still in the planning stages but will eventually make a plan and stick to it but we always agree on one thing, neither of us are doing what we feel we should be doing.
We both talked about it the other day and we both feel like we are meant for something else. Neither of us see ourselves working in an office through to retirement, we both have a lot of great ideas for business, travel, etc.... but we always say we see ourselves doing something greater....

How do you guys feel? Are you doing what you thought you would be doing at your current age? Do you feel like you are destined for something better, different or greater?

Thoughts?
I've done way more, and felt far more satisfaction, than I ever thought I would, at this point in my life. So yeah - I believe the path I'm on is the right one for me.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
No, I am not doing what I thought I would be doing. I knew my plans went off course a long time ago, though, when I decided not to be a traditional college student. I traveled and spent time in different states and countries. I would not trade those experiences for the world.

I got myself back on track, but I think I'm about to go off the rails again. I think it's wonderful when unexpected happiness comes my way and I wouldn't let "what I thought I would be doing" ruin "what I want to do."

Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,570,841 times
Often I feel completely out of sync as if I took a wrong turn and have yet to find the way back. Where's Morphius when you need him?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
I am not doing what I should be doing, and it drives me insane every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy