Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 94,216 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I am a 23 year old who just finished school and I've been traveling, visiting friends on the west coast. I got a job interview in Phoenix and went down there for a few weeks, I plan on moving there. However, 2 of the first 3 days I was down there, I got tickets both days. They were both for speeding on Rural Road in Tempe and going 51 and 49 in a 35 zone respectively. If anyone knows this Road, a lot of it is 45 and I don't think I was speeding at all. My friends make fun of me for driving slow sometimes, but whatever...

Anyways, I was in phoenix for a weeks looking for work/housing and I just foundout about these two tickets. Honestly, with those stupid photo things that I was completely unaware of, I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up 1-2 more tickets for dumb stuff like doing a U-turn on a red light when absolutely NO ONE is around at 11pm. You can save the whole "well you were breaking the law and driving bad!" thing because I wasn't at all...

Anyways, I want to move to Arizona but if I get 3 or 4 tickets there and they are going to kill my insurance and possibly suspend my license, I think that is really unfair since nothing I did was very extreme.

Are the judges possibly lenient and will they realize I'm new to the state and just didn't know of their strict photo policies? I mean, anyone who has been on Rural Road knows going 49 on that road is absolutely nothing.....

Anyways, I think I'm starting to hate Arizona already and I don't even live there yet...

Anyone got any advice for me on this issue? It would be appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan1291 View Post
Hey,

I am a 23 year old who just finished school and I've been traveling, visiting friends on the west coast. I got a job interview in Phoenix and went down there for a few weeks, I plan on moving there. However, 2 of the first 3 days I was down there, I got tickets both days. They were both for speeding on Rural Road in Tempe and going 51 and 49 in a 35 zone respectively. If anyone knows this Road, a lot of it is 45 and I don't think I was speeding at all. My friends make fun of me for driving slow sometimes, but whatever...

Anyways, I was in phoenix for a weeks looking for work/housing and I just foundout about these two tickets. Honestly, with those stupid photo things that I was completely unaware of, I wouldn't be surprised if I picked up 1-2 more tickets for dumb stuff like doing a U-turn on a red light when absolutely NO ONE is around at 11pm. You can save the whole "well you were breaking the law and driving bad!" thing because I wasn't at all...

Anyways, I want to move to Arizona but if I get 3 or 4 tickets there and they are going to kill my insurance and possibly suspend my license, I think that is really unfair since nothing I did was very extreme.

Are the judges possibly lenient and will they realize I'm new to the state and just didn't know of their strict photo policies? I mean, anyone who has been on Rural Road knows going 49 on that road is absolutely nothing.....

Anyways, I think I'm starting to hate Arizona already and I don't even live there yet...

LOL, you must be from Boston! That is all I have to say. Oh, for those of you not from Boston or familiar...many of their roads have unmarked lanes (if you can fit, it's a lane), its not illegal to turn left in front of traffic when the light turns green (gun it! first in the intersection goes), and people drive FAST! You think Phoenix drivers are fast...in Massachusetts everyone is Earnhardt; the streets intersect at odd angles, streets with the same name will intersect themselves, and not too long ago streets were not marked (you were given directions according to buildings and landmarks). It was a strange place, beautiful, but I felt like I was driving in Mexico or Europe.

And as for advice, because of your out of state status, a judge might be willing to vacate a ticket? I wouldn't know though, I have NEVER received a ticket in AZ (knock on wood)! I know you can take a class to avoid points against your record and in Arizona you can take the online driving class to avoid having to pay for the ticket and the points. Contact MVD to find out what your options are...and SLOW down! Cameras are marked before you enter their zones! Pay attention...and don't turn on a red light...even if there are no cars around at 11pm (which on Rural next to ASU? even at that time is highly unlikely). If a cops sees you turning on red...you have NO recourse.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-18-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,136 times
Quote:
Hey,

hey buddy,

I have gotten few of these tickets in "photo" enforced ticket zone in chicago. I got 3 tickets for turning right on red w/o stopping! This is totally a sham to get more money from tax paying, law abiding citizens brollerskates.

I got the tickets in the mail, they even send you a website address that you can go to and check yourself out "breaking the law"....I got 1 ticket one week, another the next week, and another the week after, thats 3 consecutive weeks folks! I was worried that my license would be suspended so I called the police station and the lady told me that these tickets are "non-moving violation"....its equivalent to getting a parking ticket so it will not go on your record or insurance. She told me that only an actual police officer can issue the tickets that go on your record. I ended up paying $114 for each of these tickets.

My advice is to call the police dept. to verify it won't go on your record and just pay them! It sucks major pp and like a hemorrhoid that won't go away since if you don't pay, they'll get the collection agency!

Those damn cameras are money making machine...I can't wait for someone to vandalize da hell out of it!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Default Learn the Laws and Obey them!!!

Wah Wah Wah !!!!! What about driving so that you don't get a ticket?? I have no sympathy for people who think they are above the law and can outsmart the cops. Slow down and learn how to drive. Too many people are killed on the roads here due to people who don't obey the law.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 PM

23 posts, read 90,226 times
You hate Arizona because you were caught speeding??? Doesn't make much sense to me....

Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 PM

27,349 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Hey I wish they had more of those speed traps in more areas out there, maybe Az wouldnt be one of the top 10 (I think I read it was #2, with Nevada being #1) of the worst drivers in the nation. Enough said.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Looking for advice, PatsFan . . . OBEY THE LAW!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times
Welcome to AZ I remember the first summer I lived here feeling like I live in a police state. However, truth is there are some horrendous drivers and if I had in my way the speed limit would be 55 on the freeways. Anyway, I don't think you'll have much luck getting out of those tickets, especially considering you got one on two consecutive days. They don't mess around here. WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT drink and drive here. 1st time offense will land you in tent city with a gadget on your car (that you have to pay for) for a whole year.

BTW, you were breaking the LAW, whether or not you think it's a stupid law. Just kick back and drive slow and follow the rules and you'll stay out of trouble. I was so angry my first photo radar. Traffic school was like torture and torment - I haven't had a ticket since.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Welcome to AZ (and perhaps Goodbye? )!
You have two options: either drive within posted speed limit or drive so freaking fast that the camera can't capture your pic in time!

Ok, seriously, gotta obey the traffic laws and posted speed limits or get an extra job to supplement this expensive hobby!
Believe me I relocated from CA where even an 80 yo grannie goes 80+ mph on the freeway. Most street speed limits out here seemed a bit low but it is what it is, get used to it if you are going to live here...

Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
I just don't get all these people that come on here and complain about getting caught by the speed cameras. Then they claim that they are good drivers and it's not that bad. Whatever! You break the law, you pay! That's it. Stop making excuses and take responsibility for your actions. Let's all be adults. <---it's REALLY that THAT hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area