Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that a "burglary" can be something as simple as taking something from a garage with an open door, or breaking into a car; car theft itself is a fairly common crime everywhere.

Crimes like the gas station attendant homicide can, and do, happen anywhere, but are VERY different than whether you are safe in your home. I would not think twice about moving into that area; however, in ANY area police will tell you to keep doors and windows secured (including garage doors) and keep your car in the garage or don't leave valuables in it in plain sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Ahwautukee is an upscale community so of course it's safe. Some people are listing areas that are not Ahwautukee. Baseline and 48th is not Ahwautukee. Ahwautukee really starts around Elliot. Ahwautukee is a subjective term used to describe an area so there are no technical borders but residents in Ahwautukee don't consider areas far north of Elliot to be a part of the area.

Crime occurs everywhere including Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. One shooting does not mean an area is unsafe. It's comical how people on this forum are completely oblivious about concepts like "relative to", "rates" and "statistics" The backward logic of this forum amazes me at times.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Some people also consider an area unsafe or crime-ridden just from the appearance.

In many cases an area might look older and less-attractive just because it's a working-class district or lower-income area, it doesn't always meen a high crime rate exists.

Some areas of western Phoenix fit this description.

Ahwatukee is generally middle to upper-class and is generally safe from what I have heard, but crime can happen everywhere as azriverfan pointed out.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM

134 posts, read 514,448 times
From what I hear also, Ahwatukee is generally safe.

Yes crime can happen anywhere in general but still there are some areas that can more prone than others statistically.
Not sure if this has been brought up or how reliable it is but azcentral has a crime search website which lists crimes reported in Phoenix metro area:

Arizona Crime Search - Crime In Arizona - Phoenix Crime Search - azcentral.com
Type the zip code and click the Go button. You can also set the timeframe and category of crime.
It shows the type of crimes reported, date and the street map (block address) of the crime - very interactive.
For example zipcode 85044 and within the last month:
Arizona Crime Search - Crime In Arizona - Phoenix Crime Search - azcentral.com=
Just another tool that is free.

I found a list of advice online that I find useful (modified summary)
1. Secure your property. Not lockdown/Fort Knox but make your property less as of an easy target as much as possible. For example - don't leave your doors and windows open unattended. Park in the garage if possible. Don't leave vehicle doors unlock and especially don't leave valuable items visible in the vehicle.
If you can afford it - monitored security alarm/video security. Or something not as expensive - well lit property, motion sensor lights - burglars etc hate to be seen. Dogs can also helpful.
2. Friendly neighbors can be very help - look out for each other and good to know if there is something to look out for/be aware of.
Neighborhood watch might help.
3. Call/Report threat/suspicious activities/crime to the police. You pay for the PD so you might as well use them.
4. Gated community can help but may also provide complacency/false idea of total security. Most of the time it is "gated" for cars and not people.
Even better with guard-gated communities.
5. Use sixth sense/instinct (or whatever you call it) to sense danger. It may not be correct all the time but the safety of my family is top priority.

Also when buying/renting a property should visit the neighborhood at other times include at night.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
As a resident of the area here are a few data points:

A neighbor of mine in an apartment complex a few years ago got the neighborhood all worried and upset. This neighbor was supposedly molested in Sun Ray Park. A year or two later, the same neighbor claimed someone was in this neighbor's apartment when this neighbor got back from a walk in the park. This neighbor allegedly got cuts from the altercation. The police ended up claiming the neighbor did that - self-inflicting. End of story on that one - but many people were needlessly alarmed. In fact a relative of that neighbor put up fliers after the park incident to watch for molesters of the description that neighbor had. And some of those fliers were torn down by home owners who were worried about the value of their homes. At that time I was believing that neighbor and was very upset at what the home owners did. However it appears this neighbor had a few loose marbles and wanted attention, hence the second incident.

Second point: A year ago some neighbor in the apartment complex was a victim of theft and his gun was stolen. After that the gated community became more of a gated community.

Third point: Some unfortunate homeowner in Ahwatukee was out puttering around in his garage and a young punk found a target of opportunity. Had a gun, asked the man for money, and ended up shooting and killing the man. The man's wife called 911 but the bleeding was too uncontrollable. But it seems justice is being served. The shooter was caught and convicted.

The proximity to I-10 and the 202 freeways mean very good escape routes for criminals.

Personally I am not worried so much. Crime is everywhere. But note the crime rate all over is going down.

The first point - Mountain Park Apartments? I lived there at the time and remember a notice taped to my door. Funny that it turned out to be nothing - also funny (or maybe not so) that they finally started using the gate.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times
I grew up in Ahwatukee. Very safe. The gas station murder was horrible, but it made news cuz there isn't that much crime ou there. Whoever did it scouted it. It is right off the freeway, and had lots of cash. Tragic.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,279 times
where is this at?? that picture?

Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,628 times
I have lived in Ahwatukee my entire life and I can say it's one of the safest places to live. There are few reports of crime and you can pratcially take a walk at 1am and be completely safe. There's more scares of coyotes than violence. The only part of Ahwatukee to stay away from is between elliot and baseline (simular to 22nd and craycroft). That's where things become a little more uncomfortable if you don't know the area and there are a lot of unidentified men wondering at night. chandler blvd, Ray Rd, and Warner are the best. Chandler = nicest and safest (simular to Cortaro & i10), Ray Rd = second nicest and safest, warner third nicest and safest, then elliot. That's my take.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaLove247 View Post
I have lived in Ahwatukee my entire life and I can say it's one of the safest places to live. There are few reports of crime and you can pratcially take a walk at 1am and be completely safe. There's more scares of coyotes than violence. The only part of Ahwatukee to stay away from is between elliot and baseline (simular to 22nd and craycroft). That's where things become a little more uncomfortable if you don't know the area and there are a lot of unidentified men wondering at night. chandler blvd, Ray Rd, and Warner are the best. Chandler = nicest and safest (simular to Cortaro & i10), Ray Rd = second nicest and safest, warner third nicest and safest, then elliot. That's my take.
I would imagine traffic would be the biggest concern in Ahwatukee, especially getting in and out during morning-afternoon crush hour.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:57 PM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
And that's mostly just because there are 5 - 6 lights shoe horned between between 48th and 56th because of the freeway. Other than that it's not so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area