Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 AM

47 posts, read 145,534 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
As promised, here is my update. I have been living in Scottsdale AZ for 9 days now. Still unpacking boxes and organizing the apartment. The temperature has been a lot like Southern California, cool, clear days, but it does get a little colder at night. But the big difference is humidity. I'm drinking more water and my skin feels much drier -- I just bought 3 tubs of Body Butter from The Body Shop at the mall to take care of that problem! So far there has not been any difference in the pain level in my joints. I will post another update in a week or so, or as soon as I notice a change in my RA symptoms.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 AM

977 posts, read 1,111,367 times
Hi, Pirate! Welcome to Az! I've only lived here for 6 months myself, and I moved here seeking pain relief also. I don't have RA, but do have osteo and fibromyalgia. It has helped me a lot. The monsoon season was hard---especially Oct. And I've noticed as the weather cools some (nights seem cold to me now) I have more pain. But stress plays an important role in my illness, too, and I have had so much stress in my life lately.
I moved from NW IL. and don't miss the cold, damp, gloomy weather there at all! I went back for a visit at the beginning of Sept. I was feeling GREAT here in Az and was so happy, but within hours of arriving in IL. I was hurting badly. Really. It was that fast. And when visiting my son in Denver area in Aug. I experienced a similar change, as they were having a lot of rain at the time.
I worried about the extreme heat in the summer in the valley, but found that it was wonderful for my health, once I became acclimated. So I hope you have some very positive changes in how you feel, too, but remember it will be different in summer---hopefully better for you like it is for me.
I'd love to have a swimming pool, but couldn't afford the up-keep or initial expense. So can I come visit you? LOL
I am so glad I took the plunge. I am 59 and made the move by myself, knowing no one except the brother of a friend, and him only slightly. That part has been hard---I get so lonely--but am working on it. It just takes time....plus energy, and i don't have much of that. I love Arizona!!!! I hope you will, too!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times
Glad you made it! Hope it changes things for you!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks so much for your good wishes, Twiggy!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 PM

43 posts, read 88,344 times
have had ra since i was 12. just moved to phoenix area a month ago to help ... and it has. not a miracle cure, as there was already a lot of damage from the disease but the flares are less, swelling is way down and pain has decreased. i am looking forward to it improving even more as time goes on ... but i like what it has done already.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 AM

Hello Artangel and SurpriseMe! Thank you for the warm welcome. I would like to know from both of you how long it took to feel a difference in your pain level. Artangel, I did think of the possibility that an improvement might happen so slowly that you hardly recognize it, until you go to a different climate, at which point you can feel the difference right away. Is that what happened to you? Or were you sure the AZ climate was doing positive things for you before you went back to IL? I'm really looking forward to the day I start feeling better -- just wondering how long it will take!

PS, my apartment complex has a pool, jacuzzi and gym, all of which I am excited to have close by!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM

137 posts, read 312,469 times
I also have arthritis,this is a tragedy.During rainy weather will very hurt.It is indeed hard to bear.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 AM

Hi, Pirate! Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I can't really remember exactly how long, but within 2 to 3 weeks I felt the difference. I came at end of May, though, and we were heading into a hot summer. I think the hotter the better for me. You may not feel the difference as soon because of the cooler weather now. Tonight I'm haaving a fair amt. of arthritis pain in my joints and some fibro pain, but it's rained, so is damp, and much cooler. I get cold very easily and it really affects me. I have Reynaud's syndrome in my hands and feet, too, and at times the pain from that will keep me awake. I think I'll turn the heat up. I guess I wasn't expecting "cold" weather here in Az. Anything below 70 is too cold for me!!!!

So, to be clear, I knew I felt better in Az. before going to Co. or to IL.

Twiggy, I realized after replying that your message was really directed to Pirate. Oops!! My bad.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Artangel: That's an interesting point you bring up about the cool temperatures. It definitely is colder at night and in the mornings here than where I moved from in CA. My idea was to come here in the fall/winter to get acclimatized to the hot summer gradually, but now I can't wait for it to get here! I worked out at the gym in my apartment complex this evening and the walk there was very chilly, even while wearing yoga pants, running shoes and a sweatshirt! The cold weather is definitely the worst thing for me, because my muscles tense up and put additional stress on the joints. I turned the heat up too! It's at 70 degrees now, yet near the windows, it feels chilly.

On another note, so far I have to say that I love the Phoenix area! There are so many wide open spaces, the lanes on the streets are wider than in CA (ditto for parking spaces), there aren't too many stoplights, people are super friendly and helpful, and in general the pace of life seems much slower than CA, which is a really good thing! My stress level has gone down tremendously in the past 3 weeks since I've arrived, other than the general stress of moving.

So I'm committed to staying here until June, since I have an 8-month lease on this apartment. I'm looking forward to feeling better than ever!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM

568 posts, read 1,208,255 times
Hi Pirate,

I just wanted to quickly mention that I believe the weather we've had the past few days has really been unseasonably cold...so hang in there! We do get these days but normally not so early. Fortunately, it is supposed to warm up a bit later this week...weather's been kind of wacky this year with all kinds of records being broken! All the best to you and welcome to Phoenix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area