Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:34 PM

9 posts, read 35,951 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been covered several times over in this forum and all thus far have ben helpful. However, most don't cover the East/South East Valleys and do not answer my questions - so hopefuly the experts here can help.

I have accepted job located in Mesa (near baseline and power). I will be relocating from Cali and have 3 weeks to find a place to live. My wife and I plan to gather a list of places to view, then fly out first weekend in Aug and make a decision.

After reviewing census data, reading forums etc I think I have a general idea. Our top priority is to find a place in a safe and quiet neighborhood. Second we would likeit close to work (withing 20-30 minute drive or less)We are looking to find a 2-4 bdr house to rent for around $1000 or less.

What I learned so far is Gibert, Chander and Dobson ranch areas are good. I also believe Apache Junction & Queen Creek are decent. Does this seem about right?

Problem is there aren't a lot of choices,so we are also looking in Mesa but I understand there are some pretty bad sections - does anyone know of good sections in Mesa? How is the commute from Scottsdale orTempe?
Any help or leads would great. Looking for the best locations in the south east valley.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,768,864 times
Baseline and power is the better party of Mesa and is around the Superstition Springs Mall. The part of Mesa is around Downtown Mesa. The commute to Tempe or Scottsdale isnt that far. North Scottsdale though would be a longer commute.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:53 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,949,905 times
OP, I suggest you rent just some place for a while and get the lay of the land.

It's a buyer's market right now; you can afford to take your time.

Plus, rents are really low and many landlords are offering free first month and similar incentives.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2010, 02:24 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,573,250 times
To add to blisterpeanuts' excellant post: Will this job last fifteen years in Mesa? And if you say yes, how certain are you? By now after this big real estate bubble burst in Phoenix, one would learn not to buy a house just because of getting a job that may be outsourced within five years (five years into a 30 year mortgage).

Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,730 times
I think the OP said they ARE trying to rent - but the problem is the 1K price range. My guess is he is looking for single family home and in Gilbert/Chandler etc. he is right, probably not many choices, whereas he is seeing some for rent in parts of Mesa.

OP, it does come down to a "get what you pay for type deal". There are pockets of Mesa where you may find a good house on a nice street, but be surrounded by less desirable areas.

NOW, if you are looking for family oriented single family houses in that price range, my suggestion would be to open up your commute a few minutes. I know it sucks, but bringing it out to 45 mins each way opens up a few more communities, a la Queen Creek, Casa Grande, and others that have many homes for rent in nice areas in that price range.

Otherwise, you ll just have to search around and hope you can find a gem...that said, many people live in the "core" areas of Mesa and lead just fine lives....

Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 35,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
To add to blisterpeanuts' excellant post: Will this job last fifteen years in Mesa? And if you say yes, how certain are you? By now after this big real estate bubble burst in Phoenix, one would learn not to buy a house just because of getting a job that may be outsourced within five years (five years into a 30 year mortgage).
How sure is anyone that there company will be in the same place for 15 years? That said, it is no concern as I am renting, not buying. Just need to know the good safe spots of mesa, south scottsdale and tempe. I do like queen creek -but it does seem a bit far from all the 'stuff' for our taste.

I have found some nice places in Apache Junction, Gilbert and Chandler (more chandler), but it would be nice to have more options and who knows we may love another area. Any other thoughts?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:13 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,077 times
jjstone3, just be aware that Howard advises everyone not to buy whatsoever because he believes the housing market will crash further. He may be wrong or he may be right, but if everyone took his advise he'd certainly be right!
If you are interested in buying, it is a good time (and will be so for at least a few years). It is good advise to rent first, though.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
Is it just you and your wife? Does it have to be a stand-alone house? You'd increase your options tenfold if you would consider a condo or a townhouse.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,072,580 times
blisterpeanuts said it just right.....

or you may want to stay in a medium-long term "hotel" (Marriott Residence Inn, Extended Stay, Motel 6 Suites, and many other brands) for two or more weeks and spend time driving around to get the feel of various neighborhoods....visit at night and on the weekends, look at yards to see if things are kept up, talk to residents.....don't commit to a place without seeing it and the surroundings....

some areas of Mesa and Chandler are getting old and tired....a good friend got rid of a place in Mesa that looked good on the surface, but when the neighborhood band started practicing with the windows open...............another good friend just moved from an area in Chandler with a crack house across the street and a crazy neighbor next door.....but the 'hood looked great, otherwise......

so you have to spend time and get a feel for areas......

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
If I were you, I would look in areas a little Southwest of where you will be working. Look at the Higley Road area, South of the US 60 in Gilbert in the Morrison Ranch area. Maybe even a little West of that, but probably no further West than the Gilbert Islands area on Cooper Road. This way, you can stay within 15 minutes of work, be in a good school district, and be a little closer to the center of town. Another option would be to go about 7-8 mile South on Power Road to Power Ranch, which is a great community, but further from the center of town. I think the best bet would be to look for something in that area of Gilbert over Mesa and Apache Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area