Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 25,858 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Phoenix this weekend and while I was there I would like to take some pictures of the skyline (since I have never been there before). Do they have some type of observation tower or building where you can go to look at the skyline???? I know some cities have this. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
No, we don't have any kind of observation tower like Chicago and NY. But for something close go up to the revolving restaurant in the Hyatt. Have lunch or drinks and enjoy the view. It's kinda cool.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Go up Camelback Mtn. Take Scottsdale Rd to McDonald, hook a left (if heading South) and then look for E. Canyon Park. There is a trail that leads to the summit, but its very physical and brutally hot. Make sure to hike it as early as possible, bring TONS of water (at least 3 big bottles) and sunscreen. There isnt much of a skyline though, Im warning you know. Its just a few small buildings, nothing spectacular whatsoever. I was just up there the other day and could hardly see the skyline through the haze, plus it was 110 hellish degrees. No joke, your best bet would be to just buy a postcard. LOL

Old 06-20-2007, 11:48 PM

9 posts, read 25,858 times
Is the restaurant you are speaking of the Compass???? I have a AAA guide book and looked it up........let me know if that is wrong. As for the hiking idea, that sounds like a lot of fun, but since I am going out there by myself this time, I think that's a little TOO adventurous, given how brutal it sounds like it may be. In other words, I'm brave enough to dine by myself, but not to go on a semi-dangerous hike by myself. But I appreciate both ideas.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 AM
ejk

126 posts, read 594,617 times
What about driving up South Mountain? As Steve-o said, there's not much of a skyline, but there are some nice views from up there and there isn't any hiking involved.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:17 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholeraynae View Post
Is the restaurant you are speaking of the Compass???? I have a AAA guide book and looked it up........let me know if that is wrong. As for the hiking idea, that sounds like a lot of fun, but since I am going out there by myself this time, I think that's a little TOO adventurous, given how brutal it sounds like it may be. In other words, I'm brave enough to dine by myself, but not to go on a semi-dangerous hike by myself. But I appreciate both ideas.
Compass Room is the place. Top of the Hyatt downtown. There is parking at the Hyatt garage. Good view. A great night view is the Rustler's Rooste restaurant at the Pointe South Mountain (I-10 to Baseline, W to Pointe Parkway). They have a nice western atmosphere there - a fun place and a good spot to take relatives from out of town or visit yourself. The bar is on the second floor. There's a country band and a decent crowd on weekend nights.

You can also drive to the top of South Mountain Park. Just take Central Ave until it ends. There is a parking area, ramadas and a good view from there, too. Really nice at night. You may hear that "it is a crime area, blah, blah, blah". It's not - at least in the park. The drive down Central takes you through a poorer part of town, but you will be fine and you also get a little taste of Mexico without going to Nogales.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
The one cool thing about the Compass is it sits about 25 stories above the street and revolves. It makes a complete revolution in one hour.

The 40-story Chase Tower, which has been the tallest building in Phoenix, and the entire state of Arizona since 1972, used to have a restaurant at the 38th floor called the Golden Eagle. I believe there's still a restaurant or a club over there, and it may still be open to the public, you might want to check it out. The tower is located right in the middle of downtown Phoenix, at 201 N. Central, it occupies the entire block from Central to 1st Street, and Van Buren to Monroe, and the parking garage is right across the street on 1st Street.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholeraynae View Post
I will be visiting Phoenix this weekend and while I was there I would like to take some pictures of the skyline (since I have never been there before). Do they have some type of observation tower or building where you can go to look at the skyline???? I know some cities have this. Thanks for your help.
Buy a postcard it will probably look better, it's not much of a skyline. You'd be better off taking pictures of something else. I would take pictures from the Top of the Rock at the Buttes Hotel in Tempe.

Speaking of the Buttes, if anyone is interested, my wedding anniversary is the fourth of July. In the past we have stayed at the Buttes on the 4th and we climb up the mountain where they have their Jacuzzi and we are all by ourselves while the fireworks are going on at the stadium. It's awesome!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk View Post
What about driving up South Mountain? As Steve-o said, there's not much of a skyline, but there are some nice views from up there and there isn't any hiking involved.

I've been up on South Mountain in the evening and its a really nice view. During the day you can actually see the brown cloud layer of....whatever it is....in the city and then you ask yourself 'and Im living in that yukkie air down there..?'

Old 06-22-2007, 10:27 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
The Phoenix skyline is actually quite impressive when viewed from a good angle and when the weather is clear. For driving, Dobbins Lookout at South Mountain Park is your best best. If you're willing to hike early in the morning, you might try Piestewa Peak or the Ranger and/or Kiwanis trails at South Mountain. In general, you will obtain the most impressive views if looking at the city from the north or the south. Those views combine the two clusters of tall buildings -- Downtown and Midtown -- as a single skyline and add whatever mountain range is behind the city from the viewer's point of view as a bonus. Views from the east and west are less compelling because they show the skyline as an archipelago of buildings strung along the length of Central Avenue with gaps in between and fewer visible mountains behind them.

If you go to the Compass Room, go for the view and not the food. I used to try the Compass Room once a year with the hope that one day the food would measure up to the view. It never did, and I gave up on it. It's not awful, but you can certainly eat better in Phoenix. I'd just go up for a drink if you want to visit the Compass Room. As for the view from the Compass Room, while you do get a good 360 degree of the city, keep in mind that the Hyatt is in the middle of the skyline, so you can't really get a good view on the skyline in its entirety. I'd suggest a view from a mountain as the best way to see the skyline as a whole.

Last edited by exit2lef; 06-22-2007 at 10:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area