Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:47 PM

13 posts, read 48,967 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was talking with a military friend of mine and told him that I was considering moving to Litchfield Park near the Luke Airforce Base. He told me that one thing I need to check into is the type of planes/jets that fly in and out of there. He mentioned that the sonic ones are extremely loud. So my question is, for those of you who live in the Litchfield Park area, is the plane traffic in and out of the base a problem, noise-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,454 times
I'm up in Surprise, not too much farther away, and while the noise is noticeable on occasion, I personally don't find it to be a problem. However, I grew up on a lot of AFB's (and around Luke) so maybe I'm use to it. I've only heard it once at night so far. Doesn't bother my husband at all.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:47 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times
they are F16s, they are not supposed to break the sound barrier within a certain distance of the cities...you will hear them flying around, but i enjoy hearing them and watching them pass by. its not too bad inside your house. Trains will be more noticeable

Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I live in Goodyear, just south of the base, and they fly over all the time here. They are high enough that they are not bothersome and I enjoy seeing them in the air. Not a big deal at all down here.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
While the proximity of the base and houses can be an issue; check out the runways to see what direction they take off and land. We lived on Luke for a couple of years in cheap, modular-type housing and rarely heard them!! If the F-35s come here, and the chances are good; that might make a difference. Most people just call the occasional jet noise the sound of freedom!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
When you buy a house in that area, they are supposed to give you information on typical routes and noise contours....

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 PM

682 posts, read 2,565,897 times
There is info online that has the flight patterns for Luke AFB. Google flight patterns for AZ to start.

I live in Goodyear and the noise does not bother me at all.

altus2006

Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Great! Thanks for the info. I didn't even consider it to be a potentional problem until my friend in the military told me to check into it. It sounds like it's not an issue at all!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 202,260 times
Luke has been approved for the F-35. Not sure if this is public knowledge or not yet but I do know they are getting the F-35's. Please do me a favor though....if you do buy near the base knowing the traffic pattern is fairly close please don't be the type to send letters to the base complaining about noise. That really bugs me! Most of these bases were her before 90% of the houses built around them yet people still don't get it. I will tell you though the F-35's are alot louder then the F-16's. We do have power restrictions when taking off so you will not hear full power takeoffs except on a few occasions.
Good luck on your home search!
Mike

Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Default don't accuse me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBound? View Post
Please do me a favor though....if you do buy near the base knowing the traffic pattern is fairly close please don't be the type to send letters to the base complaining about noise. That really bugs me! Most of these bases were her before 90% of the houses built around them yet people still don't get it.Mike
Why would I do that? I'm asking questions to find out if it is a problem and according to everyone else it is not a problem. If a person moves into an area like this, it would be expected to hear some noise. I just wanted to know if it was bothersome and according to everyone else it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area