Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 03:34 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times

Advertisements

Left Phoenix for greener pastures about 5 years ago for a smaller city and better lifestyle. However, finding out that being close to family is trumping all of the advantages that we gained in our move. My wife and kids really miss all of our family in the Phoenix area and want to go back.

So obviously the real estate market is a mess, how bad is the job market for someone with a background in sales & marketing? I used to have my own business in Phoenix, so really have not kept up with the job market for sales reps for the past 10 years.

If/when we go back we would probably move to north central Phoenix. How has that part of town weathered the economic downturn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:26 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,077 times
In the last five years? The housing market climbed to ridiculous heights, only to fall to (roughly) 1999-2001 levels. Lots and Lots of growth (especially in the far suburbs) from 2005-2008, but very little growth since then. Unemployment went from 3% (I think) to around 9%. The Cardinals play in Glendale. Not much else, though.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
It's like ritchie_az says. Compared to the usual for Phoenix, the past 5 years have been pretty stable. If anything, it is a bit better around here. The crime rate has gone down quite a bit and several freeway bottlenecks have been cleared up with new construction. Lots of roads under construction in the west valley have been completed as well. There's less traffic on the roads. Everything seems in slo-mo compared to years past. Growth was just overrunning infrastructure. Maybe it is a better place in some ways now.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,332,468 times
The field you're in will be a big issue. Jobs are bad everywhere, but terrible in sales, marketing, and corporate communications, unless you have an extraordinary sales track record in a specialized field. For instance, are you being pursued by headhunters?

The people who get jobs the quickest today are employees who cost employers the least in terms of benefits. The older you are and more kids you have, the harder time you'll have finding a job. Being the head of family, which used to make you look stable and reliable, is a detriment in the market today -- especially in places like Phoenix that have no trouble attracting young workers. Companies want your attention 24/7, they don't want your focus to be on other people you're responsible for. Even in places like call centers where you sit in a cubical and talk on the phone, maturity is considered a disadvantage. The only exception is companies owned by people with religious views that encourage family life. There are more of those in Phoenix than many other places.

If it's at all possible to think of reviving your former business, that might be the way to go. Outsourcing is so much more prevalent today in every field, it's easier to get a temporary job than a permanent one. Corporations love to pay you by the hour for a task accomplished and send you on your way.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,412,583 times
We got rid of a lot of our Californians...so that was a plus.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,630,450 times
Phoenix was a wonderful place until 1990. I fled California back in the 60's because of the government policies there, I could see it coming. Just read the forum on Phoenix memories to see how fondly people remember Phoenix even through the 80's. After 1990, I started to notice the gang activity and it has not been the same since.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
The last job I had in Phoenix before I started my business I was guilty of hiring mostly 23 year old recent college grads. I just wanted people willing to pound the pavement all day making sales calls and were young and dumb enough to not know any better. The company I owned was in an industry that is the first product cut out of a business budget when times are tough and the internet has ruined what remained of that industry. Guess I might have to become a multi-line sales distributor and start my own company or see if I can convince my boss to let me telecommute.

Phoenix was always a good place for self employed brokers who were willing to hustle and sell to all of the small companies in town. Is it still the same way now or have most of the small companies gone out of business?

If we come back, probably settle in north Phoenix. What high schools should we be looking at for good college prep programs?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Phoenix was a wonderful place until 1990. I fled California back in the 60's because of the government policies there, I could see it coming. Just read the forum on Phoenix memories to see how fondly people remember Phoenix even through the 80's. After 1990, I started to notice the gang activity and it has not been the same since.
Agreed - lots of magic here before 1990. Evaporated quick after that. The Valley today seems like an inland version of Orange county.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,077 times
I really like the Phoenix of today, but I can certainly understand the nostalgia. I bet Phoenix of the 1950's was pretty cool... saw some show on PBS about that a handful of years back.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,312,051 times
Do your own research. Don't listen to people here...good or bad. There are a lot of bitter unemployed people who come here to vent about Phoenix. They will try to claim you can't get a job because they couldn't get a job. But the truth is you don't know that person's background. People in general tend to think highly of their abilities and qualifications but that doesn't mean they are qualified. In my experience, most of the people who complain about a lack of jobs are unqualified but don't know it. They either try to get jobs in fields they have no experience in but think their experience translates to that field or they have no experience at all in any related field but think their UOP MBA (former graphics designer gets UOP MBA and wants to work in finance) makes them qualified. I know a lot of companies in Phoenix are forced to relocating people because there are not enough QUALIFIED candidates here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area