Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,329,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I agree with azriverfan, if you're looking for a good-sized family home in the actual town of Paradise Valley, it'll run upwards of $1.5 million. You don't get much for your money in Paradise Valley, my parents bought a new house many months back and even with a budget of $2+ million, they didn't find what they really wanted and ended up buying in a gated community in North Scottsdale with a much better bang-for-the-buck.

My best advice would be to hook up with a local real-estate agent who specializes in high-end properties, they will give you more detailed advice than we would.

Just for comparative purposes here are two homes, one in Paradise Valley and one in Scottsdale in your price range:

$1.25 million (4 bed 3 bath, 3700 sq ft) Paradise Valley
6824 E Doubletree Ranch Road, Paradise Valley, AZ, 85253 - MLS #4289629 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

$1.295 million (6 bed, 6 bath, 4900 sq ft) Scottsdale
8477 E Charter Oak Drive, Scottsdale, AZ, 85260 - MLS #4412396 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
You can probably find a nice short sale or a deal just around 1.5 million but the 1.2 million homes in PV are 1.2 for a reason meaning they are not very big and tend to be old with outdated finishings. Of course someone will buy it because it is in PV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 24,460 times
What makes Paradise Valley so desirable?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,083,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester314 View Post
you're probably speaking of the incorporated Town Of Paradise Valley....the Town was founded in 1961 to preserve itself from encroaching Phoenix and Scottsdale....it used to have strict rules, including no businesses and one-acre minimum lot size, which have since been relaxed in an effort to maintain revenue....it's always had a pleasant, residential tradition that has attracted wealthier homeowners since it was first developed in the 1950s with PV Country Club and other upscale housing areas.....every city has its nicest area and this is Phoenix's....its zip 85253 is the wealthiest in Arizona....it's now even more desirable as vacant land to build on is very rare there....there is a bit of a snob appeal, too....location, location, location

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,721,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester314 View Post
Low crime rate, very wealthy population, and there are really no "undesirables". A former boss at the firm I work for lives in Paradise Valley, he's about as down-to-earth as they come but wanted to live in a very safe area with his wife and 3 kids. I can honestly say the few people I do know who lives in Paradise Valley are generally as normal and less-snobby than some of those who I know in Scottsdale and Tempe.

Paradise Valley is very comparable to Atherton, CA or Southlake, TX in the general feel of the community. Granted there are other places that have a higher concentration of wealth but many are smaller (PV has 10K+ residents). If you can afford the entry price, it's a great place to live.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:50 AM

461 posts, read 1,451,261 times
I live in Scottsdale and work as a nanny in Paradise Valley. I prefer Scottsdale, I feel like I know my neighbors more and I can walk to a lot more from my home. This is a really big deal to me, and I would think it would be to someone with children. There is nothing within walking distance from the home where I work. I feel really bad for the kids, especially the older kids, if they can't get a ride they are stuck at home. They go to a private school which has an excellent reputation, but I personally wouldn't send my children there. I read a lot about the local school districts (curiosity) and the Scottsdale school districts get a lot of praise.

A lot of people say Scottsdale has a "snobby" vibe, but I don't feel that way at all. I moved here from Palo Alto Ca which is extremely snobby, so that could be part of it. I have found people very polite and friendly here. Scottsdale is clean and I feel safe here. People who visit are always impressed by the lack of grafitti and how pretty it is.

Paradise Valley is also closer to Phoenix, which is part good and bad. It's good when you want to do something downtown, but I think it's worth the extra drive to feel safer.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,275,325 times
Once you get North of the Pima Fwy nothing is “walkable”.
And this is what Kids do for fun!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s42-I...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by impala666; 09-04-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 07:24 PM

13 posts, read 52,926 times
We moved here a year ago and are currently leasing a home. But my wife and I (and our 7 year old daughter) really like Stonegate in Scottsdale -- Google it and check it out. The only drawback is it's a little further from the heart of the city than we prefer, but the local schools, families and cost is tough to beat for a luxury, gated place to live.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,014,864 times
Given the pathetic state of education in this town (and state), I'd spend much less on a house and much more on an education - irrespective of where you choose to live. Trust me, you'll be doing your kids a favor. IOW, a private school.

Oh, and in case you don't believe me...

http://www.aznews.us/arizona_ranks_d..._education.htm

While this link is old, nothing has changed. I am just glad I was educated in MN and CA.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 12-05-2010 at 08:04 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM

286 posts, read 679,222 times
It is late in the game to comment on this matter,but for those of you who are perusing now...North Scottsdale is a better choice.If I had young children and wife...everything else being equal..North Scottsdale.The Valley has changed...understatement of the century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area