Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Which grocery store chain carries the best quality meat? Which grocery store chain has the best sales on meat?

I've found Sprouts is excellent for produce and, surprisingly, WalMart has excellent produce for the money in the Sun City region (Happy Valley Road). I was surprised because it had horrible produce where I came from. Wonder what that is all about, 'cause you would think they would all be equal...not.

Made one friend here so far (hey! been here only 3 weeks now) who said LeeLee's is great, also, and am going to visit there soon, too. She has given me some great help so far but seems busy this week, so I'm not going to bother her.

Any direction from those who shop can give me, I'm listening.
I watch for sales at Safeway and they seem to have decent meat. We usually buy our tri tip at Costco. Quality is decent there. Glad you are getting your sea legs. Takes time to find the hot spots here. Do check out Lee Lee's. The store smells bad in my opinion but once you get past that the produce is decent and the fish are fresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Welcome to the Big Desert!

I find the best meats and produce for the lowest prices at Fry's. I don't do too much store hopping, mostly because I'm lazy. Safeway has lovely merchandise, but is a bit pricier unless you shop sales. AJ's is excellent, but upscale and expensive. I agree about Sprouts having nice produce, but all my Wal-mart produce experiences have been negative. I shop according to in season and on sale items, so can't address other stores. Oh, but if you haven't shopped at Trader Joe's in your previous city, by all means, add them to your "must" list. It's fun, interesting, and delicious!
OMG. I love AJ's and forgot all about it. Very spendy but I love the bakery section and used to buy their cakes when we had some better work coming in. They have so many unique things. Sigh. AJ's high on the list for just poking aound in.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM

56 posts, read 153,035 times
From what I've heard about Bashas and it's stores (AJ's and Food City), all of it's meat comes from the same distribution center ~ same meat. The difference in price you pay for is the packaging and the store itself. So, if you like AJ's but think it's too expensive and have a Basha's around then go to Basha's and you'll save some $.

I used to live approximately the same difference from a Basha's and an AJ's...would always go to the
Basha's over the AJ's. Would end up with the same products for less money. If I had a Food City in my area, I would have went there too.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Both Fry's and Bashas have "codger day" the 1st Wed of every month (tomorrow). If you are over 55 you get 10% off everything. But, be careful. Some stuff will be on sale the day before or day after for less money. But 1st Wed of the month is a good "stock up" day.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
My choice would be:
1) Fry's (usually best prices and pretty good quality)
2) Costco (good balance of price and quality... but you have to have a membership and purchase large amounts)
3) Safeway (very good quality but sometimes expensive)
4) Bashas (pretty good quality but sometimes expensive)
5) Walmart (pretty good prices--and they "price match"--but quality is so-so).

Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times
Well, upon the advice of some geezers who live in my community, I did get a Costco card. I will check what they have to offer for fun. They all told me to get the Costco card for the cheaper gas. I hope it pays off after a year.
Wow...Phoenix grocery stores looks like a case of so many choices, so little time...wow...this should be fun culling thru all these choices.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,218 times
If your ever looking for the taste of the Midwest

Butcher Bobs
11663 West Bell Road
Surprise, AZ 85374-9613
(623) 933-1518

Old 09-01-2010, 12:06 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
Best place for meats is Midwestern Meats I love this place its in Mesa but definitely worth it
Midwestern Meats - Mesa, AZ
Midwestern Meats

Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 AM

146 posts, read 481,894 times
If you can afford it, look for a kosher butcher, there are plenty of them around the valley. I get my meat cut straight off the cow from my guy, some of the BEST ribeyes in Phoenix.

Frys is the best overall grocery store, best sales, cheapest foods, the FMV line is great when you're broke.

Bashas is the worst for prices and selection, but their meat is good quality IMO.

I get all my produce at Sunflow market, good prices and good quality produce.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times
Am I ever looking for Midwestern meat! I didn't realize how superior beef from Iowa was until I moved to Houston where the steaks..well, let's just say if you're into shoe leather when you broil them then that's the area to buy 'em.

Iowa beef is the best there is in the country. I went so far to buy them in Houston at the one place I found that carried Iowa beef when I lived there. Big, big difference in beef around the country, surprisingly different.

Wow...so many wonderful choice, folks! More reasons I am so glad I moved to Phoenix! I'm very happy here from what I'm finding...bad economy or not
(and it WILL turn around...just give it another 4-6 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area