Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:37 PM

419 posts, read 1,524,862 times

Advertisements

I have reservations for tomorrow evening at Durant's. I am hoping to experience a non-chain dining experience, unlike everything in the West Valley I've seen. I read that Durant's is a traditional local establishment, so that's what I'm looking for.

Also, anything in the west valley that fits the "local' or "traditional" feel? NOT Mexican, as I already eat plenty of that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Durants has been around for a long time. Go into Google and type in Durants Restaurant Phoenix AZ and you'll see many sites catering to the history of this famous eating establishment.
They have been around for many years and are famous not only for their food but the people who have patronized Durants. This includes politicians to underworld figures. Many a political decisions have been made here, and even a murder or two planned. i.e. the Don Bolles case.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Durant's is a great choice. It's basic steakhouse fare -- nothing too innovative. Nevertheless, everything is well prepared, the service is first rate, and the atmosphere is charmingly retro-chic with leather banquettes and crushed velvet wall paper. It has an authenticity that no chain can touch. My favorite items on the menu are the crab cakes and the spinach with fennel.

To get the full Durant's experience, make sure to enter through the kitchen -- from the rear where the parking lot and valet stand are. There is an entrance on Central Avenue for pedestrians to use, but it doesn't pass through the kitchen, and entering via the kitchen is part of the Durant's experience.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Durants has been around for a long time. Go into Google and type in Durants Restaurant Phoenix AZ and you'll see many sites catering to the history of this famous eating establishment.
They have been around for many years and are famous not only for their food but the people who have patronized Durants. This includes politicians to underworld figures. Many a political decisions have been made here, and even a murder or two planned. i.e. the Don Bolles case.
Yup. Durant's was the hangout for thugs and their lawyers, namely Mickey Clifton, Adamson, and Neal Roberts. As you can imagine, I have always avoided it.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
I like to hang out for pre-dinner drinks in the bar.

4 people, lots of good food & service...... easy $350.

Worth every penny.....

Get a booth.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:42 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibolles View Post
Yup. Durant's was the hangout for thugs and their lawyers, namely Mickey Clifton, Adamson, and Neal Roberts. As you can imagine, I have always avoided it.
Yeah....cuz it must really suck......

Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Durant's is a great choice. It's basic steakhouse fare -- nothing too innovative. Nevertheless, everything is well prepared, the service is first rate, and the atmosphere is charmingly retro-chic with leather banquettes and crushed velvet wall paper. It has an authenticity that no chain can touch. My favorite items on the menu are the crab cakes and the spinach with fennel.

To get the full Durant's experience, make sure to enter through the kitchen -- from the rear where the parking lot and valet stand are. There is an entrance on Central Avenue for pedestrians to use, but it doesn't pass through the kitchen, and entering via the kitchen is part of the Durant's experience.

I didn't know that you could walk through the kitchen......I'm doin' it next time.

I had the filet mignon and it was magnificent. My wife had the porterhouse and the doggies were in hog heaven for a week.

They did something extra special-different with the taters and I forgot to ask the chef.

Sister & BIL are coming in for business on Thursday....was planning on a trip to Toby Keith's place in Mesa.....not anymore.

Gotta call for reservations at Durant's......

Old 03-09-2013, 07:52 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Its swanky, old fashioned swanky. A little bit of old Phoenix.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 PM

537 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Sister & BIL are coming in for business on Thursday....was planning on a trip to Toby Keith's place in Mesa.....not anymore.

Gotta call for reservations at Durant's......
If you want to economize a little, make your reservations for lunch. As long as I can remember the kitchen was the way to enter. The kitchen staff would greet you and you could see what a squeaky clean kitchen they have. The poster who wasn't too thrilled with the restaurant had a screen name of some-thing-bolles. As in Don Bolles. Mentioned in that post was everyone but Kemper Marley.

For many years there was a billboard in Phoenix that read, "In my humble opinion, Durant's is the finest eating and drinking establishment in the world." ---Jack Durant. When Jack Durant died, he left the restaurant to his longtime loyal employees.

Another steak house/ prime rib house that I always wanted to try was Treulich's at 27th. Ave. and Camelback near Rudolph Chevrolet. This post is making me hungry. Neptune's Table, brunch at the Pointe at Tapatio Cliffs. Growl.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
I was born and raised here and never ate at Durant's. Now I am ready to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area