Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,597 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Gilbert and I am coaching a 7-9 yr old baseball team, starting in a cpl weeks. The problem I am facing is that the league doesn't provide practice fields for us. And bc I just moved here, I havent the slightest idea where to look for fields that do not charge a rental fee (like Parks n Rec does). Any info would help, even just the crossroads if you dont know the name of the park. Thank-you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM

117 posts, read 160,422 times
Near what area in Gilbert. I'm sure you could call the elementary/jr. high/ and high schools. That's where a lot of my practices/games use to take place.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,336 times
Maybe it's changed now but, when my kids were in NYS they had a VERY difficult time getting any fields because NYS would not offer additional insured coverage to the organizations and they were a little hesitant to authorize use of the field without some insurance consideration.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM

168 posts, read 456,311 times
I would check with all the schools nearby. Most elementary schools that I know of in my area of Gilbert have fenced areas that could be used for baseball. What about the fields they play their games at on Saturdays? Can you practice there during the week? There are also baseball fields by the Polar Ice Skating rink, on Knox and Greenfield. They might be owned by Little League, so it might not be an option. Not sure. But you might look into that. I'd also check with NYS to see if they have recommendations and/or ask other coaches. And if all else fails, just practice at a neighborhood park. Maybe buy one of those nets they use as a backstop, though I know they're pricey.

It stinks that they don't give all you hard working volunteers some practice location options. Good luck! We played a season with NYS and never went back b/c I felt they were too disorganized.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,597 times
I am on the islands at Warner/Cooper. My son has been practicing with a soccer team at the Polar Ice Rink fields and I have been scouting out the smaller fields but they always seem to be full. I am very frustrated with NYS and our first season with them hasnt even started yet. I think I will definately check the schools/fields where the games are to be held. We have a parent meeting with NYS this weekend, so I think i will lean on other coaches and our team's parents for advice. I appreciate all of your responses

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
Default Frustrated NYS coach

You're not alone! I also agreed to coach, yet had no idea it would be this difficult to find a free field. Unlike you I've lived here my entire life and have played on the majority of the fields around yet it was always part of a city organization and never ran into this issue. I've reached out to NYS for assistant and will post their feed back (if they respond).

The problem with trying to get a school right now is they are on spring break so I highly doubt I will get any feed back until they return.

Good luck, from another NYS frustrated coach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: