Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well, everyone I know has had a bad experience.
I like my HOA. I think they do a good job--I've not had any problems. I feel I get my money's worth....

Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
You have to change ARS (Arizona Revised Statutes). It's in the statutes you find the requirement for an "association" to manage common area properties and to enforce deed restrictions.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM

40 posts, read 302,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I like my HOA. I think they do a good job--I've not had any problems. I feel I get my money's worth....
I'm glad you don't have any problems. I hope that when I move into my new neighborhood in AZ (currently out-of-state) that we don't have any problems there. The first thing we are going to do is start attending all the board meetings and try to get on the board, eventually, so that problems don't arise.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:44 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Add me to the list of those with a good HOA experience. I'm happy with mine. They work to improve the neighborhood without antagonizing the residents. So, therefore, not all HOA's suck.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 AM

78 posts, read 229,384 times
I have read the CCR&Rs, but it doesn't say anything about this. I have attended board meetings and made suggestions for numerous things and I always receive the same answer, "It is illegal for an HOA to do that." I can't seem to find any laws governing the whole HOA concept as a whole, only what is listed in the individual CCR&R's. Like the going doot to door thing, we did that for a particular initiative, but when we submitted it to the board, they said it was not valid because we obtained the signatures in a manner that is illegal to HOAs. These guys talk and act like they are lawyers, yet they are just regular people so I really don't believe anything they are telling me. However, I cannot seem to find any legal info re: HOAs so I cannot disprove their comments. I was hoping to gather as much legal info as possible beore having to involve a lawyer.

For those of you happy with your HOAS, that is great. I am happy for you. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. But that really isn't the purpose of this forum and you aren't doing anything to further the research here. Also, please stop sending me hate mail because I do report you.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You have to change ARS (Arizona Revised Statutes). It's in the statutes you find the requirement for an "association" to manage common area properties and to enforce deed restrictions.

What is the Arizona Revised Statues? I don't see that anywhere in my CCR&Rs. Thanks!!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Ovaries View Post
I have read the CCR&Rs, but it doesn't say anything about this.
They won't.

State Law REQUIRES Common Area Properties to have an association. To get rid of your association - you will have to have a change in Arizona Revised Statutes.

In my LEGAL opinion though, there is not much chance of changing ARS at this time. The implications would be far to broad.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
What is the Arizona Revised Statues? I don't see that anywhere in my CCR&Rs. Thanks!!
State Law

Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
They won't.

State Law REQUIRES Common Area Properties to have an association. To get rid of your association - you will have to have a change in Arizona Revised Statutes.

In my LEGAL opinion though, there is not much chance of changing ARS at this time. The implications would be far to broad.
So do you have any other suggestions? It sounds like we are just stuck with it and that just stinks.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So do you have any other suggestions? It sounds like we are just stuck with it and that just stinks.
I can't see anytime in the near future where the law(s) would change. I really can't.

As for what you can do, others have offered suggestions (to which in all honesty - you were somewhat rude in responding) including attending meetings of the association. Another would be trying to get to know your neighbors. Forming community watch groups - Block Watch. Offer to help with Holiday events perhaps. In other words, be proactive and polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area