Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 PM

11 posts, read 42,704 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there have suggestions or certain companies to avoid? I'm looking at doing either just a softener or a reverse osmosis system? How much should I expect to pay including install? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 AM

343 posts, read 552,677 times
Best way to go with affordability and quality is Pure Tec. Go to Lowes, not Home Depot, and you can get it for around $930 installed in a house pre-plumbed. It's warranty is good too. For your money, it's as good as it gets for a 50,000 grain capacity unit. The company is local and they know how Phoenix water is. This is softener only, not sure about reverse osmosis. Check it out.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:25 AM

149 posts, read 533,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by splice40 View Post
Anyone out there have suggestions or certain companies to avoid? I'm looking at doing either just a softener or a reverse osmosis system? How much should I expect to pay including install? Any help is greatly appreciated.
We have had both softener and RO from Kinetico for 3 years with zero issues. We are very happy with the products. Website: Kinetico Arizona: Providing High Quality Water Treatment and Purification Systems

Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM

What does the RO system cost? Doesn't show unless I'm looking too quickly.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
What does the RO system cost? Doesn't show unless I'm looking too quickly.
From Kiniteco? We had it installed for $1200. The filters last about a year. We are a family of 4 plus 2 dogs.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:40 PM

551 posts, read 2,726,393 times
You can also pickup an RO system from Home Depot or Lowe's. The price ranges from ~$150 to over $300, depending on brand name and features -- for an under-the-sink mount system. You can have a local plumber install it for you for less than $100. Trying to get an RO system for the whole house would be a waste of money and water (RO systems use a lot more water than they produce).

However, keep in mind that Arizona has VERY hard water. Most RO systems will strongly suggest that you also use a softener, since hard water can wear out the RO filter very quickly.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks! I see the RO systems at Lowes and Home Depot, but doubt if their quality matches with yours. I have the softener already, so is your Kinetico quote of $1200 the RO only, or does that include the softener?

Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
Thanks! I see the RO systems at Lowes and Home Depot, but doubt if their quality matches with yours. I have the softener already, so is your Kinetico quote of $1200 the RO only, or does that include the softener?
Only RO... We had water softener installed for about $3000. We decided to go with Kiniteco RO because the RO that came with the house started to leak just a few months after we moved in. The house was about 2 years old at that time. The leaking RO looked similar to what Home Depot was selling. May be the unit was just a defect one or the installation was not done properly.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 PM

64 posts, read 282,830 times
I installed an under sink RO I bought at home depot because I got sick of filling up water jugs at the supermarket. The hardest part was drilling a hole in the counter for the tap.
I have a 6yo GE softener which I have repaired myself several times with minor parts. I've read that they are not reliable. I would go with something else for my next unit.
Another alternative to RO is to get bottled water delivered.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 AM

joemamma!! Awesome handle. Thanks for the post. If you had it delivered before, is the convenience of having no water bottles hanging around well worth the money? I know there are a ton of under the sink filtration devices. Some are good, and some take your money. For $300-$400, are they just a unit you buy waiting to be replaced? I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: