Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM

25 posts, read 57,080 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 20s year old guy from Michigan and I really hate the cold,snow and gloom of MI winters (winter last Nov-Memorial Day) it seems like
I've visited the PHX area (mainly just Scottsdale and parts of Tempe) in the past and I think Tempe would be more affordable

I'm currently just working a part time job here in MI I was wondering what the job market is out there for young professional (my degree is in business) I would like to do something in sports or government field are two fields I have a strong interest in. Also i'm open to other fields

I love the weather and so much going on compared to the small farming community i live in.

Just wanted to advice/opinion on the job market and what parts of the PHX Metro area would suit me late 20s year old single guy no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
The AZ job market might be just a rung or two up from MI. If you can live thrifty and would be willing to do anything to get your feet on the ground, you should be able to hack it. I'm from MI as well. I've been living in Tempe since July. Right now I don't have a great job but it's enough to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly.

This has been the first winter I have not lifted a shovel.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The AZ job market might be just a rung or two up from MI. If you can live thrifty and would be willing to do anything to get your feet on the ground, you should be able to hack it. I'm from MI as well. I've been living in Tempe since July. Right now I don't have a great job but it's enough to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly.

This has been the first winter I have not lifted a shovel.

I haven't seen the sun in about 2 weeks and tonight its suppose to get -8 wind chill ! yay! hope you are enjoying the warmth and sun

Unfortunately I don't know anybody in the state of Arizona so I would need to find a place to live. What is the cost of apartment/house rentals in Tempe or surrounding 'burbs?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm paying $550 for a place with light rail access and down the road from ASU (I can walk to campus) w/ utilities minus cable/internet.

Places vary by quality and location. My place is lower middle of the pack. If it was in Phoenix or Glendale it would likely be classified as "ghetto" but being in Tempe it has a nice mix of everyone.

I did most of my apartment research on CraigsList and came here with my questions about each place. You'll get lots of good info here.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM

While vacationing I visited Tempe but mainly around campus to restaurants/bars/etc on Mill Ave.
Tell me more about Tempe? affordability? crime? are their young professional upper 20s/early 30s?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 43,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy81 View Post
I'm a late 20s year old guy from Michigan and I really hate the cold,snow and gloom of MI winters (winter last Nov-Memorial Day) it seems like
I've visited the PHX area (mainly just Scottsdale and parts of Tempe) in the past and I think Tempe would be more affordable

I'm currently just working a part time job here in MI I was wondering what the job market is out there for young professional (my degree is in business) I would like to do something in sports or government field are two fields I have a strong interest in. Also i'm open to other fields

I love the weather and so much going on compared to the small farming community i live in.

Just wanted to advice/opinion on the job market and what parts of the PHX Metro area would suit me late 20s year old single guy no kids.
From one young professional to another:
Do you have actual experience in the sports or government industries? There are jobs in AZ, but it can get pretty competitive, especially in popular industries. Business degrees are a dime a dozen (no offense).

If you're open to "anything" then I recommend searching for call center jobs. Financial customer service (e.g. Vanguard, American Express, USAA, banks) call centers are common out here. They usually want people with degrees.

Otherwise, narrow down what industries you have experience in, and start searching job aggregate websites (e.g. Indeed.com) for specific jobs.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
While vacationing I visited Tempe but mainly around campus to restaurants/bars/etc on Mill Ave.
Tell me more about Tempe? affordability? crime? are their young professional upper 20s/early 30s?
If I can afford to live in Tempe working in security then I'd assume most people could afford to live here. Crime is low as far as I can tell but some have told me it can get "iffy" when you approach the Tempe/Phoenix border. Away from ASU campus you'll find mainly family homes. It depends on what you're looking for. I'd say there's a mix of everyone in Tempe: rich, poor, middle class, labor grunts, professionals.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:

Nearly everything you wrote sounds like me about 15 years ago.

I'm also from Michigan, the yooper part if you will. I also was seeking a larger city atmosphere with more jobs and better weather, but what really decided it for me was my significant other lives here. Long-distance relationships never work out too well.

I think you will like Tempe or the more centralized parts of Phoenix for what you're looking for. I would avoid Scottsdale because it's too superficial and expensive.

The job situation here isn't all that good right now but it should be improving. With your level of education you should be able to fit into a full-time position, but the wages aren't much to boast about.

For what you're asking about you will probably like the metropolitan area of Phoenix very well, especially the beautiful winters. Just be prepared for the awful summers, the heat is ongoing for about five straight months.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Another ex-Michigander checking in.....

Going on 7 years now and no regrets.

Get a job first, then move.

Even if it's a job that you don't like, you can use your initial time here to start making some contacts.

I still miss my family and friends, but I've made some great friends out here. Once you get good and settled, be prepared for lots of folks coming out to visit.....especially in the wintertime.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Oh, yes. The Redwings will be here on March 5 against the Coyotes. Michiganders will come out of the woodwork for this. Some even come from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area