Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 16,681 times

Advertisements

So I was born and partically raised in Phoenix, moved to muggy humid in the summer awful snow in the winter Michigan with my mom when I was younger. So I'm no stranger to Arizona.

However, I am just wondering and looking for some feedback on the job market in Phoenix and wondering if I should move back to where I came from. Michigan is an dreadful horrible place to live and it's getting worse every day due to mass layoffs and lets not forget to mention we have the highest unemployment rate in the nation, even beat out Alaska if that tells you anything.

But I know I'm moving from here, but I don't want to end up in a city where the situation is the same if not worse than what Michigan is right now. High consideration to replies from those in the Accounting profession would be appreciated. I have my degree in Accounting, and five years of experience, however, I have worked at a CPA firm and I DO NOT have no intentions anymore on being a CPA, so I'm looking to see input on the dynamics of "In-House" Accountants, what's the average pay, so on, and so on.

And also since it's been a while since I have lived there, what's the neighborhoods like these days in and around Phoenix, is the cost of living considerably high, etc.

Any input is welcomed and much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
I think you will find Phoenix a breath of fresh air coming from Michigan. Our economy is great. Do a check on careerbuilder to see what we have to offer. You may want to post your resume and see what happens. Do you live in or near Detroit? I went there a couple of years ago and found it to be hell on earth. When we were done with our business we bolted in any direction to get out of there! It was the worst place I have ever been. Phoenix does not compare. I have never felt that unsafe here.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:13 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Detroit is a complete and utter DUMP. Its suburbs for the most part are nice though. The economy still sucks...

Old 07-15-2007, 07:14 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpartridge527 View Post
So I was born and partically raised in Phoenix, moved to muggy humid in the summer awful snow in the winter Michigan with my mom when I was younger. So I'm no stranger to Arizona.

However, I am just wondering and looking for some feedback on the job market in Phoenix and wondering if I should move back to where I came from. Michigan is an dreadful horrible place to live and it's getting worse every day due to mass layoffs and lets not forget to mention we have the highest unemployment rate in the nation, even beat out Alaska if that tells you anything.

But I know I'm moving from here, but I don't want to end up in a city where the situation is the same if not worse than what Michigan is right now. High consideration to replies from those in the Accounting profession would be appreciated. I have my degree in Accounting, and five years of experience, however, I have worked at a CPA firm and I DO NOT have no intentions anymore on being a CPA, so I'm looking to see input on the dynamics of "In-House" Accountants, what's the average pay, so on, and so on.

And also since it's been a while since I have lived there, what's the neighborhoods like these days in and around Phoenix, is the cost of living considerably high, etc.

Any input is welcomed and much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Check out some of the larger law firms. In general, attorneys pay good money to financial professionals who can help them attain bigger year-end bonuses by showing them how to cut corners and cheat staff. Sad, but true. By the way, I too am desparately trying to leave Michigan to move to AZ. Still can't sell my house . . .

Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I think you will find Phoenix a breath of fresh air coming from Michigan. Our economy is great. Do a check on careerbuilder to see what we have to offer. You may want to post your resume and see what happens. Do you live in or near Detroit? I went there a couple of years ago and found it to be hell on earth. When we were done with our business we bolted in any direction to get out of there! It was the worst place I have ever been. Phoenix does not compare. I have never felt that unsafe here.
Nobody "lives" in or near Detroit . . . they just try to survive. Yep, Detroit sucks. Unfortunately, I work there and have distinct displeasure of having to drive downtown every single day.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 16,681 times
Default Not In The D, But Midaswell Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I think Michigan at the this point all as a whole is "HELL on earth"... I have lived in the Detroit area when I was younger and yes it was as bad as everyone says it is, but however, if was dumb enough to move back to Detroit area, or have to commute for a good 45 minutes from a neighborhood you ain't afraid to leave your stuff at while you're gone. I wouldn't have much of a problem getting a decent job/career in that area even if it meant I had to worry about losing it due to a layoff in a year or two, but only thing the east side of the state has to offer is yes they have jobs available but not too many people who have lived there are dumb enough to move back. SO... I decided to give the west side of the state a try the past five years... big mistake too!!! I've been laid-off at four different establishments in the past three years. And let's just say that Kalamazoo/Battle Creek area and Grand Rapids are as big as/or becoming dumps as Detroit, "Lil' D's" as we refer to them, because the unknowingness of whether or not your gonna get robbed or mugged everyday is an unsettling way to live.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,994 times
Default good luck in Phoenix

I grew up in Michigan, and lived there for the majority of my life. I moved to Phoenix one year ago, and think it's one of the worst places to live. Had i moved to Phoenix about 20 years ago it may have been different. However too many people have moved here and sprawled too far. Why people continue to move here is beyond me?? Given the choice of metro Detroit or Phoenix, i would choose Detroit. Phoenix is dirty, traffic is horrible, people are rude, and besides the city is going to dry up and blow away within 25-30 years anyway. The only thing Phoenix has going for it is propoganda. I cannot wait till i can leave this horrible city and move somewhere real, possibly Minneapolis

Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
We have one of the best economies in the country. You can look for jobs in your field on careerbuilder.com (they list the AZ Republic listings) and craigslist.org. My aunt is an in-house accountant, and it did take her nearly a year to find a good position. She has little advanced education, though, and most companies (she found) were looking for someone with a degree. She did land a job with amazing benefits and perks! Well worth the wait!

I would find your job first, and then start looking at neighborhoods. Commute can be a killer if you work too far from your home.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,944 times
I meet a lot of people from Michigan, had lots of fun. I'm from Maryland, Moved back, dumb move. I can't wait to move back to Phoenix. I love Arizona.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
I think the OP should distinguish between what is happening in Southeast Michigan (Detroit area) from the rest of Michigan and not make blanket insults about the entire state.

Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, the U.P. and all the rest are faring no worse than the rest of the country in this recession. Even many of the Detroit suburbs (where all the actual money is in the area) are faring alright but certainly struggling.

Plus, anyone who claims to hate Michigan so much has probably never experienced the glorious coastlines, sand dunes, beaches, lighthouses, artsy waterfront towns, etc...

I may be bias, but I personally miss Michigan quite a bit since moving away. Those Pure Michigan commercials really remind me how beautiful it is there. But, then I'll take a moderate summers and an invigorating winter wonderland anyday over 114 degrees, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area