Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times

Advertisements

unfortunally the retail economy and housing crash hit when it did .... long term there are still some good options, but you generally don't want to see dollar stores and swapmarts take up space .... it's a good tenant in the short term, but not exactly what will draw in long term high quality tenants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I agree but I'm still hoping that area would have more shopping choices. Shopping centers tend to cater to specific crowds with the type of stores they have and they tend stay that way. There's really nothing there I go to on a regular basis.
What do you go to on a regular basis?

Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What do you go to on a regular basis?
Lately we've been going to furniture stores like Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Ethan Allen. It's a bummer they are so far away.

If I want to do like clothes/retail shopping, I still head to Peoria, Scottsdale, or Chandler for their malls. It's fun to go there b'c there's a variety of eating choices (I don't particulary enjoy chains like Chili's, TGIF's, Olive Garden etc) and every once in a while I find a place I love to frequent (like Sprinkles - but that's prob a good thing it's so far away!)

The places we frequent most on our side of town is Best Buy, Target, World Market. It just sucks that you can't park in once place and hang out for a few hours and go into a variety of stores. I have to go to the 101/I-10 for a movie and frozen yogurt, drive across the street for the Best Buy, head to Target and World Market down on Cotton Ln. and then drive across town for all the furniture we need to get for our house! It's soooooo tiring!

Obviously in the grand scheme of things, this is a trivial inconvenience and sooner or later we're going to grow ... I just wish it was sooner.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

right on - always kind of curious .... a lot of those type of places are ones that I go to only so often ...... crate & barrel was awesome for our wedding and after we bought our house - as well on some other occasions - but it's only so often I need something from there

I too like sprinkles ... there is a new cupcake place that opened up on western ... i haven't tried it yet

there are a handful of frozen yogurt spots ... i'm not big into that so I can't vouch for any of them

i agree that you really can't park and walk (and it will be nice when things are built out - whenever that may be ..... both the ballpark village and the mall........)

there are some really good places though - especially "everyday" restaurants - KB Smokehouse just opened up near Thai Orchid Garden (Indian School Road E of Dysart) and both are very good ..... Flavors of Louisiana is great .... Tangs is pretty good .... some of the bars serve pretty good food ... Ivy League Dogs is tasty and the owners are great .... more good sushi places than I can count ...... i also have high hopes for what the Wigwam will turn into with the guidance of bianco and the funding of colangelo

unfortunately the chains tend to be more visible from the street, but I think the dining options are a bit underrated

I know I do a lot of christmas shopping around litchfield & I-10 .... best buy, pier one, barnes & noble, ulta, massage envy and a burrito for fuel

i'm bummed that razmatazz didn't work out - more bummed it was replaced by a dollar store .... the store list of companies that were commited to the mall was nice, just hopefully that turns into reality

Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM

294 posts, read 989,548 times
sorry i am from canada and haven't ever heard of the term swap market or swap meet? what is it exactly? is it similar to a flea market? if so where is the biggest and best swap meet in in the phoenix metro area? any that carry designer purses, etc for the wife? thanks.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 PM

yep - a flea market is what it is

I'm not big into them ... but there are some who are ... i think there was a thread a while back where people were discussing the different ones

I'd go to the old one in goodyear before it closed - was fun to browse and would occasionally find some good deals (like all the fake plants in my house.......)

Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
right on - always kind of curious .... a lot of those type of places are ones that I go to only so often
That is true but I also like to peruse and I can DEFINITELY spend a lot of time in those stores!

Quote:
i agree that you really can't park and walk (and it will be nice when things are built out - whenever that may be ..... both the ballpark village and the mall........)
I am patiently waiting!

I thought Thai Orchid was OK. A little too sweet for my taste (and I love coconut). We'll have to try KBs. Did you ever go to Sabatino's? I couldn't believe it when they closed down! And I agree, Flavor's is AWESOME.

Yeah, I was bummed about Razmatazz, too. I never heard of it 'til they opened one on our side. Then I realized it was a chain 'cuz I saw that store in other parts of town. I liked their furniture.

That area will get built eventually ... we just have to bepatient!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM

yeah - we became really saturated in pizza & wing type places really quickly and they were tucked away a little bit

i was also kind of sad when vals brazilian closed down

Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM

117 posts, read 293,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The Chanlder one, I expect, might be in the old Mervyn's at Alma School and Elliot. I'll have to go take a look and see if anything is happening over there.
No it's at the old Food 4 Less building at the struggling East Valley Mall next to Target. Many of the stores and several movie theatres have closed and lost business at that shopping center so it's nice to see something new open there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area