Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,569 times

Advertisements

I am my elderly mother's POA. My mother has used automatic banking from a nationwide bank to automatically pay the HOA dues.

The HOA changed the payment address for the HOA dues, so payment was mailed to previous processer. This processor CASHED the check on behalf of the HOA. HOA fined my mother a late fee and ended up putting a lien on her house and stated she hadn't paid the bill.

The HOA has fined my mother multiple times because my mother transposed the HOA account number on the check, but the ADDRESS and NAME on the check were correct. But each time they cashed the check on time on behalf of the HOA. They fined my mother late fees and put a lien on her house.

As my mother's POA, I am trying to get this straightened out. The HOA has stated that they will reduce some of the fees, but we still will have to pay $200 to get this resolved.

My understanding is that if someone cashes a check, then it is considered acceptance of payment and that they cannot assess late fees or any other fees. Again, please keep in mind that the correct address was on the check even if the account number had two numbers transposed.

Any legal advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
As you said "legal advice needed", so take your advice and ask a lawyer, not opinions on the internet.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 PM

28 posts, read 112,512 times
My recommendation (as former HOA board member as well) would be to ask to be heard at the next scheduled board meeting. Come in with printed out timeline copies to present your case, with cancelled check copies that support timeline and show that you faithfully attempted to meet your obligations and had always paid promptly in the past. Calmly and professionally state your case. Your HOA docs should require your right to be heard and speak at the non-executive portion of the regular meeting. Put a face and name to your case.

Don't deal directly with the management company.

Other than that, yes you can seek legal advice. You probably will spend more than $200 just for the lawyer to read and get up to speed on your docs. You can take it on the fight on principle or pay it and move on.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
As you said "legal advice needed", so take your advice and ask a lawyer, not opinions on the internet.
Great advice, Nitram.

However, prior to hiring an attorney, consider presenting your case to the Board Members at the next HOA meeting. Explaining the entire scenario may just make a difference.

Good Luck

Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,569 times
Thanks everyone, for your thoughts. I am going to the HOA board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area