Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:01 PM

18 posts, read 94,399 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking Queen Creek to relocate to from Michigan and I have heard a lot of negatives from people who live near it, but not in it.
I'd like some input from past/current residents or even people who know someone who actually lives there.

We live about an hour outside of Ann Arbor and are used to it being rural, so that is not a problem. I do not mind driving to town for things.
I hear gilbert is decent sized and close, but building up fast. It might still be an option. Also input on Gilbert?

I am wondering if anyone has a favorable view as far as living in Queen creek?
Schools?
Homes?
Activities?
Please any input is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 AM

343 posts, read 554,461 times
Lived here since '96 and can tell you things are far different than when I first arrived. Most folks that complain do so because growth has strained public infrastructure and services, and they are used to their conveniences, but were originally lured by the convenience of having a lower mortgage payment. You'll find the same situation across the valley's fringes as government funds their services through a tax base which comes after housing. Retail follows rooftops, which means the conveniences are coming. It depends on the type of person you are. If you are a city person, you'll need a lot of adjusting. I'm more rural like you and enjoy it in Queen Creek! I'm always going in to the city at least a few times a week for work and I plan on hitting a store if we don't have it out here. I'm used to waiting and planning.

You have to keep in mind there are two different Queen Creeks. One is in Maricopa County and the commute is OK, The new 202 freeway has opened up and housing prices are higher than the Pinal County Queen Creek, which has many road improvements coming ahead. Both areas are in the middle of a commercial real estate boom. I like Queen Creek because it IS away from Phoenix, and more open space means more outdoor recreation for me.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 51,499 times
I have lived in Queen Creek for about 2 yrs now. I live in the part that is in Pinal County. We bought out here because we could get a newer home at a resonable price. I work in central Phoenix and drive in everyday. My commute is about 1 hour each way. I also leave very early (5am) to beat the traffic.

I like it out here better than areas closer to Phoenix because the crime is low and the air is cleaner. There is a lot of new shops and stores opening closer to this area. They are currently building a mall not too far away.

There are a lot of young families out here. Unfortunantly I do not have any so I cannot comment about the schools.

There are many road improvements going on out here and the commute is improving (check out Ironwood-Gantzel Project).

Hope this helps.....

Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,094,653 times
I visit Queen Creek for Harvest fun at at Schnepf Farms. It is nice out there from what I have seen. I heard they might close the farm though.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you both for the comments. I was wondering why I kept seeing two counties for the same town. that explains it! Are they both actually the same town then or different?
Is there one that is better to live in?

Does it make any difference in the school system?
I when on greatschools.com and parents were really unhappy with the Skyline schools and yet the Cortina one had high ratings. I know that where there is a lot of growth there is bound to be overcrowding until it's all figured out.
We have some of the best schools in the county here and they opened the doors to school of choice and now this school is overcrowded. they deal with it well enough, but I've gotten involved. It makes a difference.

I think the smaller town might be more our speed. Queen Creek is actually bigger than where we currently live. I grew up in the city, but like the peace I get in a smaller place and my kids are used to it. I just have to convince hubby that he still commuting after the move! LOL

Old 07-01-2007, 08:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,094,653 times
Do any of you have scorpion problems inside out there? I was wondering, out by the mountains and all. I know my friend in Maricopa has tons.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 51,499 times
I have never seen a scorpion out here. An exterminator once told me that he did not have people complain about scorpions out in Queen Creek.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 PM

343 posts, read 554,461 times
I had scorpions on my desert property until two years ago when I got some outdoor cats. After that I've never seen one again. I've been told the feline's urine is like a scorpion repellent. Cat's are immune to scorpions, and scorpions stay away from them, plus the cats kill any rodents. A lot of spaces still will have scorpions. Take a dark light out at night and they glow.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM

How far is the commute into Phoenix from the Maricopa Queen Creek vs the Pinal one? Is there a big difference?

It is sort of confusing to find that this one small town is in 2 counties.
Is there a difference in life style between the 2?
I note that that the Maricopa side seems to have some shopping and the Pinal side is getting something soon?
Is there a difference in the school systems for both?

We have thought Gilbert also and have been told it is also a smaller town, but the stats say 156,000 in Gilbert to Queen Creeks 16,000, but does that count all of Queen Creek or just one county? What is Gilbert really like?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to figure this one out.
Thanks for any input

Old 07-06-2007, 02:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,773,008 times
Nice, we were considering gettin an outdoor cat, but I was wondering how they do in the heat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area