Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,113 times

Advertisements

First time posting on this forum. Hello!

I'll have two days alone in Phoenix in mid October. I would love to take advantage of this opportunity as best I can. But I'm not sure where to start.

Now... this is a general question, but here goes: what sites or activities do you recommend I check out?

To give a bit about me:
I'm a 25 year old male (single if that matters), have never been to Arizona, and would love to get a feel for the city or the desert. I am open to checking out either urban areas or the desert.

I was thinking of spending the nights at a hostel in Phoenix and organize something with like-minded roommates. However, I've never been to a hostel and have no idea how realistic it is to check out Phoenix with a group of strangers. Critiques on this thinking are welcome too!

Edit:
Is it reasonable to check out Phoenix or the desert without renting a car?

Last edited by Pauly Eat World; 10-01-2010 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Forgot to ask question about car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,099,908 times
lots to do.....mid-October is nearly the perfect time of year here...google all the following

you mention getting into the desert....if you can hike, you can join the mobs on popular Squaw Peak (Piestewa Peak) for a great city view and people-watching along the summit trail, but it isn't really "out" in the desert.... various trails out in the McDowell Mountains of NE Scottsdale are very pretty, but close enough to town....there's also the Desert Botanical Gardens for a more organized desert scene....

if you like architecture, check out Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West, his winter school....

see if the Cards are playing football in Glendale when here and then check out the doin's nearby after the game.....

being 25, if you're into hip nightclubs, check out the trendy scene along Indian Plaza and nearby in downtown Scottsdale....

grab a copy of the weekly New Times for current art, entertainment, etc. or the Calendar section of the Arizona Republic (the daily paper).....

you may want to walk popular Tempe Marketplace, Mill Avenue (Tempe near ASU), downtown Scottsdale, areas of downtown Phoenix.....

others can advise about the many other points of interest....being with only two days, a car may help you save time, but we have buses, light rail, cabs.....

Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
I think you will need a car to get where you want to go and not waste your limited time setting up/waiting for transportation.

The hostel idea I can't comment on.. I'd never thought about whether there ARE any hostels here.

I'm not sure where azdr means by Indian Plaza, but downtown Scottsdale is interesting.

There's desert trails all around Piestewa Peak as well, if you don't want to join the crowd hiking the mountain and just want to see the desert. http://phoenix.gov/PARKS/hikemain.html

Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,533,741 times
Quote:
what sites or activities do you recommend I check out?
I guess without knowing what your specific interests are, it's hard to answer this. For outdoor activity, there's tons and tons of hiking you could do. Lots of great golf. Float down the salt river if it isn't too "cold". For indoor, there are several good museums. There are concerts and sports (which could be either indoor or outdoor).

Quote:
Critiques on this thinking are welcome too!
Phoenix has many very nice resorts. October can be one of the "busy seasons", but if you can find a good deal on a four or five star resort, I always recommend going that route.

Quote:
Is it reasonable to check out Phoenix or the desert without renting a car?

Is it reasonable? Not really. Is it doable? Yeah. I recommend renting a car. But if it's not in your budget or you just don't want to, if you find a place to stay near the light-rail--between that and the bus routes--you could get around enough to have an enjoyable stay.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:51 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,068,053 times
This Arizona Guide site, may give you some ideas. October is a great time to visit!

Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 PM

977 posts, read 1,962,540 times
Four Peaks Brewery off of 8th St and Dorsey in Tempe. You must try the Kiltlifter (best beer ever) as well as their Oatmeal Stout Milkshake.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,099,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not sure where azdr means by Indian Plaza, but downtown Scottsdale is interesting.
sorry, obs53....I was trying to specifically zero in on the very hip area of clubs just east of the new W Hotel...there's a short road called Indian Plaza one block south of Camelback that has trendy Axis/Radius and other see-and-be-seen clubs in the area....I thought maybe a 25 year-old dude might be into that, but I know not all are....

there are other hip spots scattered all over downtown Scotts. and the entire area is fun to walk and people-watch in, of course....

Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,113 times
These are all very helpful responses. Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions and links! I feel I have a good starting point to plan my days.

For at least one day, I'll use the light rail to check out Phoenix and its surrounding cities. Any recommendations on what stops I should get off? Also, what restaurant with a hip venue should I visit?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Eat World View Post
These are all very helpful responses. Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions and links! I feel I have a good starting point to plan my days.

For at least one day, I'll use the light rail to check out Phoenix and its surrounding cities. Any recommendations on what stops I should get off? Also, what restaurant with a hip venue should I visit?
You only get central Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa on the light rail. Not all the "surrounding cities". Don't bother getting off in Mesa.... Mill Ave stop in Tempe, then maybe look around downtown Phoenix. No point in riding the rail past Central and Camelback unless you are going to hook up to a bus route and go out to the stadium area (Westgate) in Glendale. Bus and light rail info here: www.valleymetro.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area