Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times

Advertisements

Yeah right, yourself. There are two sides to every story.

"Fox is vigorously disputing both claims, calling the 50% figure "absurd" and stating that it was Dish that refused to keep the networks on while negotiations continue and it never asked for an extension of the two sides' existing deal." Source: Latest Retrans Fight: Fox Cable vs Dish TV – Deadline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 AM

258 posts, read 540,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So I called Dish and asked about early termination and when they expect to get Fox channels back. One big issue is this happened without warning from Dish. As far as I can tell the will not be getting it back anytime soon. I asked the CSR that since they were not giving me what I paid for weren't they violating the contract? She stated "your contract says that prices and channels may change at any time". She then went on to say "we've added channels in the last year" to which I said "and you've raised the prices as well so don't act like Dish did me any favors". I said "following that since I've lost channels is Dish reducing my bill accordingly?" ..... Of course not!
This is like buying a car then they come and take your tires but you still have to pay for it all even though you can no longer use it through no fault of your own.
The upshot is I have to pay an early term fee equal to 1 1/2 months bill BUT I then called cable and I'm getting more channels, high speed internet and phone for $10 more than I'm paying Dish.
Guess which way this is going to go? All options suck it's just some suck less than others...

I've worked for cable companies and satellite tv companies for the last 14 years, I imagine the price you are quoting from the cable company is ONLY A SPECIAL price for the first year or less. Check to see how much the price will be after the special.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:01 AM

824 posts, read 2,335,853 times
Cable companies have historically (for me) been extremely difficult to contact regarding significant service disruptions. I am definitely more comfortable with a satellite provider, but I would never sign a contract with any of them. Other than 2 or 3 slow-moving storm systems, I have not had an extended problem with the DISH signal over the past few years.

I think that it make sense for Dish to battle Fox (and Viacom in the past) over rate hikes. But I do think that Dish's odd system for placing Fox-owned and other channels on various tiers of service needs to be improved. I read one thing that Fox also wants most of their programming on all tiers (or something to that effect). Some of the dividing lines seem silly, Silver Tier has CNN, CNBC, Headline News, Fox News Channel, MSNBC, but Fox Business Channel is somehow reserved for a higher tier.

Quote:
"Loss of SOA was the deal killer for me, especially when you had to buy an upper tier to get FX to begin with!"
It is a pretty solid show.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieboy View Post
Dish did not "decide" to drop anything in it's programming. Fox and Mr Murdoch pulled the plug on those channels because Dish refused a 50% rate increase from Fox. Fox is holding those channels hostage until a deal can be worked out. So people are jumping ship and bad mouthing Dish, who is actually working on behalf of their customers to keep rates down. In the mean time, the media blitz against Dish has been paid for by Hughes Electronics who operates Directv and is owned in part by guess who? Rupert Murdoch. And Dish is the bad guy here? Right...
Sorry but this is a completely bogus excuse! Even if Dish pays Fox more for the rate increase, they are still making a huge profit. Dish isn't required to pass on the extra costs to the customer, they could absorb the costs and still make a profit. I love how our society has just accepted companies passing on costs to the customer to the point that it is socially accepted now and people don't dispute that. As a physician, i wish I could do that and just charge patients more money because I pay higher malpractice and costs to run my practice each year. Anyway, Dish is just being greedy and wants to maintain their profit margin at the expense of their customers.

And Dish doesn't need a media blitz. Do you know how many people watch the NFL in this country? When people can't watch the Cardinals, Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, Bears, 49ers and other NFC teams on Fox because Dish no longer carries the channel, you don't think they are going to notice? And do you know how many people in this country watch the Fox News channel? It has higher ratings than CNN. You don't think people are going to start getting curious why they haven't had Fox for a week? Blaming Rupert Murdoch is pretty weak

This was a completely asinine move by Dish. They are going to lose huge market share by people cancelling and switching to DirecTV and Cable. It's moves like this that cause companies to declare bankruptcy. Fox will completely win in this battle. People are not going to be able to be without the NFL, MLB, Fox News, shows like Fringe, SOA etc for months at a time.

If you want to hit Dish where it counts, cancel. They could care less about you writing a letter to them. When you cancel, they will feel that

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-13-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So the hits keep on coming, I canceled dish last night and not only did they charge me $180 they ALSO told me that if I use the shipping labels in the return boxes I'll be charged $15 per label. I asked if this is because I cancelled and was told "no matter why you return a box you'll pay".
What a scam!!!!
Never again will dish see my $$$, I'll go direct or cable or a clothes hangar first!
Honestly, if you are concerned about one show like SOA or you watch television primarily for shows and are not a sports fan then why subscribe to a cable service at all. You can just have high speed internet and stream it to your television and watch Hulu. Everything is on Hulu anyway with minimal commercial interruption. SOA, Fringe..everything is on there.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry but this is a completely bogus excuse! Even if Dish pays Fox more for the rate increase, they are still making a huge profit. Dish isn't required to pass on the extra costs to the customer, they could absorb the costs and still make a profit. I love how our society has just accepted companies passing on costs to the customer to the point that it is socially accepted now and people don't dispute that. As a physician, i wish I could do that and just charge patients more money because I pay higher malpractice and costs to run my practice each year. Anyway, Dish is just being greedy and wants to maintain their profit margin at the expense of their customers.

And Dish doesn't need a media blitz. Do you know how many people watch the NFL in this country? When people can't watch the Cardinals, Cowboys, Packers, Vikings, Bears, 49ers and other NFC teams on Fox because Dish no longer carries the channel, you don't think they are going to notice? And do you know how many people in this country watch the Fox News channel? It has higher ratings than CNN. You don't think people are going to start getting curious why they haven't had Fox for a week? Blaming Rupert Murdoch is pretty weak

This was a completely asinine move by Dish. They are going to lose huge market share by people cancelling and switching to DirecTV and Cable. It's moves like this that cause companies to declare bankruptcy. Fox will completely win in this battle. People are not going to be able to be without the NFL, MLB, Fox News, shows like Fringe, SOA etc for months at a time.

If you want to hit Dish where it counts, cancel. They could care less about you writing a letter to them. When you cancel, they will feel that

Dish is being greedy by trying to maintain their profit margin, and Fox is doing what? As you said, folks can't be without their local sports teams, I get that. So does Fox. Sounds like a pretty huge bargaining chip to me. A deal will get done. Too much money at stake on both sides. If not, Fox then has to answer to their advertisers that will want to know why their ads are now not reaching the 14+ million households that Dish services. Business is business. And if someone can't be without Fox News, then by all means, switch.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Dish is being greedy by trying to maintain their profit margin, and Fox is doing what? As you said, folks can't be without their local sports teams, I get that. So does Fox. Sounds like a pretty huge bargaining chip to me. A deal will get done. Too much money at stake on both sides. If not, Fox then has to answer to their advertisers that will want to know why their ads are now not reaching the 14+ million households that Dish services. Business is business. And if someone can't be without Fox News, then by all means, switch.
So why is Cable and DirectTV paying Fox what they are demanding but Dish isn't? Do you think Fox just likes to charge Cable and DirecTV lower rates because they are friends with them?

And that's exactly what will happen, people will leave Dish and sign up with DirecTV or Cable. The reason is simple. You can't get Fox News, Fringe, the NFC games and the World Series on other channels but you can access the Fox channels from providers other than Dish. Guess who will win out. Fox has all the leverage in this. And what do you think advertisers are going to do, pull out their ads and allow competitors to gladly pay for that space. Advertisers aren't going to budge because they know Dish subscribers will simply go elsewhere.

Dish tried to strong arm Fox, it backfired and now they will pay the price...hopefully not the ultimate one aka bankruptcy

Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So why is Cable and DirectTV paying Fox what they are demanding but Dish isn't? Do you think Fox just likes to charge Cable and DirecTV lower rates because they are friends with them?

And that's exactly what will happen, people will leave Dish and sign up with DirecTV or Cable. The reason is simple. You can't get Fox News, Fringe, the NFC games and the World Series on other channels but you can access the Fox channels from providers other than Dish. Guess who will win out. Fox has all the leverage in this. And what do you think advertisers are going to do, pull out their ads and allow competitors to gladly pay for that space. Advertisers aren't going to budge because they know Dish subscribers will simply go elsewhere.

Dish tried to strong arm Fox, it backfired and now they will pay the price...hopefully not the ultimate one aka bankruptcy

You are right, Fox does have the leverage. Fox is not just freinds with Directv, they are owned in part by the same company. They are the same company. That is leverage. It's also low down business. They raise their price to Dish, Dish says no, Dish customers leave and go guess where, to Direct. It is a win win for Fox, Directv and Murdoch.

We see it differently and that's cool. I have had both Direct and Dish and prefer Dish. I had Direct in my homes in Peoria and in Heber and my rates did nothing but go up year after year without adding any programming of any kind. My Dish bill has been stable for the past 2+ years. I can live without FX and certainly Fox News (if it ever comes to that for the long term). And I can always catch the Cardinals and Packers at a pub or on my computer if need be. But again, I don't think it will come to that. Too much scratch to go around for everyone. And not everyone is a sports fan. Dish will survive to fight another day.

Last edited by dookieboy; 10-13-2010 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
You are right, Fox does have the leverage. Fox is not just freinds with Directv, they are owned in part by the same company. They are the same company. That is leverage. It's also low down business. They raise their price to Dish, Dish says no, Dish customers leave and go guess where, to Direct. It is a win win for Fox, Directv and Murdoch.
And what about Cable? Are companies like Cox, Roadrunner etc. owned by Rupert Murdoch too? What is their excuse? Also, this is assuming that what Dish network said was true. Fox is disputing their claims so we don't what the truth is regarding how much the rate hike was.

Low down business...as in Dish screwing its subscribers by failing to provide them with rebates despite no longer offering any of the Fox services.

Quote:
And I can always catch the Cardinals and Packers at a pub or on my computer if need be. But again, I don't think it will come to that. Too much scratch to go around for everyone. And not everyone is a sports fan. Dish will survive to fight another day.
People are not going to go to a sports bar every time they want to watch a game. The Fox channels offer more than sports like Fox News and the Fox channel which has several shows like Bones, Fringe, Glee, House, that is a major network. No one in their right mind is going to pay for a full service like Dish and not have access to a major network like Fox. I'm looking at this objectively. I don't dislike Dish. I would rather have Dish than DirecTV if it werent for the NFL Sunday ticket because it's cheaper. I'm just stating the facts. Dish has already lost thousands of subscribers as a result of this and it will continue to hemorrhage subscribers the longer they hold out. What will happen is Dish will ultimately give in. They will "negotiate" but at a rate closer to what Fox was asking. Dish will also increase it's prices and pass that onto the customer so expect to pay higher rates from those caring folks at Dish.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
And what about Cable? Are companies like Cox, Roadrunner etc. owned by Rupert Murdoch too? What is their excuse? Also, this is assuming that what Dish network said was true. Fox is disputing their claims so we don't what the truth is regarding how much the rate hike was.

Low down business...as in Dish screwing its subscribers by failing to provide them with rebates despite no longer offering any of the Fox services.

People are not going to go to a sports bar every time they want to watch a game. The Fox channels offer more than sports like Fox News and the Fox channel which has several shows like Bones, Fringe, Glee, House, that is a major network. No one in their right mind is going to pay for a full service like Dish and not have access to a major network like Fox. I'm looking at this objectively. I don't dislike Dish. I would rather have Dish than DirecTV if it werent for the NFL Sunday ticket because it's cheaper. I'm just stating the facts. Dish has already lost thousands of subscribers as a result of this and it will continue to hemorrhage subscribers the longer they hold out. What will happen is Dish will ultimately give in. They will "negotiate" but at a rate closer to what Fox was asking. Dish will also increase it's prices and pass that onto the customer so expect to pay higher rates from those caring folks at Dish.

Ok, ok. You're right, I'm wrong. Heaven help the poor fool that has a difference of opinion with azriv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: