Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM

88 posts, read 181,904 times

Advertisements

What has happened to my Arizona since the appointed governor passed the immigration bill?
I still have Latino friends in the Phoenix area that are scared to death of what's going down.
Come on AZ people get a grip here, you can't be killing and harrassing citizens because you think they are illegal or they fit a certain ethnic profile.
You all need to speak up. There are 90% of people in Arizona that are good, hardworking, law-abiding citizens. They are being over-run by the 10% that are political, greedy, and out of control.
This is getting out of hand. The good and decent people there need to say ENOUGH.
There's a reason the state has had negative growth the last 2 years, myself included.
JUST TODAY:
Phoenix police shoot unarmed homeowner and pet dog:
Phoenix Cop Fatally Shoots Domestic-Violence Suspect -- and His Dog -- For No Apparent Reason - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

Sheriff Joe in trouble yet again:
Abuse lawsuit against Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office settled for $600,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM

824 posts, read 2,337,235 times
Chrisman sounds like a real thug.

Police Say Officer Assaulted, Killed Unarmed Man - Valley News Story - KPHO Phoenix

Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
Arpaio? "Gone" crazy? Been crazy for a long time now. And in New Hampshire looking for support to run for president, last I heard.

I've said it here before and will say it again. There are millions of great people in Phoenix. But there are also millions who will not be happy until it more closely resembles Michele Bachmann's legislative district. Which, if you look at history and geography, could not possibly be what the Good Lord had in mind.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 PM

88 posts, read 181,904 times
Default I am still shocked

at what's gone on just in the short time that I left the Valley.
I heard many "N"bombs in conversations when John McCain was running against Obama. I guess I chalked it up to over rooting for the hometown guy.
But what has taken place with the violence and prejudice since the Immigration papers law was passed is very very sad.
Only as someone who lived in the valley and moved away (job transfer) do I make any guess as to what is going on.
It is apparent that Arizona has become the poster child for anti-Latino causes with Bill/1070.
Combine that with the high unemployment rate, one of the highest foreclosure rates, named 2nd in poverty, last in education funding, and the latest national news that the Governor is cutting off life support to cancer patients and I think you have a state dealing with massive massive stress.
How can the beautiful desert communities that florished just 5 years ago become so unstable now?
Citizens from both political parties, and all ethnicities need to come together and unite quickly to preserve that which made the state so great and envied for it's natural beauty and wonderful people.
This is not the picture of Arizona we all grew up with as we waited for each monthly "Arizona Highways" to appear in our mailbox.
This present day Arizona is unrecognizable.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 42,767 times
Maybe it's just me but whenever I go to South Phoenix, El Mirage, or any location with a high Hispanic population it seems to have a lot more crime and doesn't seem too safe. Couldn't that have to do with illegal immigration? They have lower income and difficult jobs, thus, commit more crimes? Arpaio wouldn't be Sheriff if people didn't like what he does, they probably feel that he is the only one doing anything to stop crime.

Last edited by NorterraPhil; 10-08-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,085,759 times
It's this way for a reason, the majority of people here want it that way. It's very sad to me, but I know I'm different, I'm sure you will hear from them any second. Good luck convincing them it's not a good thing. You see, it is a good thing, to them..................

I just get the "leave if you don't like it" answer................I see you have left, good for you, trying to change it is a fruitless fight as of late. It seemed to be getting closer to my liking for a short time 5 years ago, but, and I don't know exactly what, brought the house down, but now I'm like a sore thumb.

With all our recent publicity, we are just drawing more and more people who love it now, so, no change in sight for me. I have no choice but to stay for another couple of years, so I just ignore it and don't get involved in the politics or the state anymore, aw, relief.
I just hope I get out before I need anything we don't have, or get shot by a neighbor packing a gun in Fry's, or get arrested for having tan skin, for now I'm good, and I do enjoy the people and area I'm in. The beautiful sky, weather, thats the sort of thing I concentrate on now. The struggle just wasn't worth it, it's a no win here, a NO WIN, not enough people agree with you I'm afraid. But, I do! And I'm not afraid to show my support, thanks for sharing. Nice for someone like me to hear another who is appalled by these recent events.

Last edited by twiggy; 10-08-2010 at 11:36 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times
Just recently....Great Scott heard the N Word.

Prob'ly for the first time ever.......

In Phoenix......

In Detroit.....

In L.A........

Since Obama was POTUSOA.

Gimme a break.

Been goin' on for a very long time. Not good, I admit....but it sounds like you're playin' the race game.

Troll.

Have fun with it.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times
In my experience, the police in the Valley tend to be pretty approachable and laid back. They tend to focus on the real criminals and leave the everyday people alone. That's not the case in other cities where police get a power trip and pull people over trivial things or just behave in a condescending manner. You don't see tons of speed traps here or people being pulled over for going 10 above the speed limit. The Phoenix police are pretty tolerant and understanding of illegals and Hispanics. Now, the Sheriff's Dept is an entirely different issue. It's easy to read about this cop and generalize about the entire police department but let's also remember all the cops that lost their lives trying to help people.

Many of the proponents for immigration reform are Hispanics themselves. Uneducated people look at this issue as if all Hispanics are immigrants and that the only people support immigration reform are Caucasians. But of course like any good soap opera, it's easy to depict things that way to get an emotional response. Very few individuals want to take the time to learn the facts and become educated.

Not all Republicans are alike. Arizona may have been Republican but we are certainly not socially conservative like the deep South. This has always been a pragmatic state and sometimes those pragmatic ideas don't always satisfy the conservative or liberal agenda.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-09-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,085,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In my experience, the police in the Valley tend to be pretty approachable and laid back. They tend to focus on the real criminals and leave the everyday people alone. That's not the case in other cities where police get a power trip and pull people over trivial things or just behave in a condescending manner. You don't see tons of speed traps here or people being pulled over for going 10 above the speed limit. The Phoenix police are pretty tolerant and understanding of illegals and Hispanics. Now, the Sheriff's Dept is an entirely different issue. It's easy to read about this cop and generalize about the entire police department but let's also remember all the cops that lost their lives trying to help people.

Many of the proponents for immigration reform are Hispanics themselves. Uneducated people look at this issue as if all Hispanics are immigrants and that the only people support immigration reform are Caucasians. But of course like any good soap opera, it's easy to depict things that way to get an emotional response. Very few individuals want to take the time to learn the facts and become educated.

Not all Republicans are alike. Arizona may have been Republican but we are certainly not socially conservative like the deep South. This has always been a pragmatic state and sometimes those pragmatic ideas don't always satisfy the conservative or liberal agenda.
I agree that most of our police force does a good job here, I think most everyone does. You are right though, the sherif is another story..........
and no matter what is going on, like attracts like. Thats just the way it is, we can't stay away from it forever and I believe that ship has just sailed, but I know it's just my opinion of course. One I believe to be an educated opinion. Assumptions of others education and ignorance is telling of a persons confidence, which ever side they may lie, pun intended.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM

267 posts, read 885,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorterraPhil View Post
Maybe it's just me but whenever I go to South Phoenix, El Mirage, or any location with a high Hispanic population it seems to have a lot more crime and doesn't seem too safe. Couldn't that have to do with illegal immigration? They have lower income and difficult jobs, thus, commit more crimes? Arpaio wouldn't be Sheriff if people didn't like what he does, they probably feel that he is the only one doing anything to stop crime.
You are going to find crime in ANY lower-class area, whether the people be white, hispanic, black, etc. I lived in South Phoenix/Laveen for 2 years, and am now living outside Atlanta. There is just as much, if not more, crime in the poor areas here in Atlanta. And there isn't an illegal immigrant problem here, or a "high hispanic population."

My husband was a Phoenix Police Officer in South Mountain for almost a year. It didn't work out because he didn't like the training he was getting (that a whole other story, though). He knew this guy. He didn't know him well well, but passed him by in the station a lot and the guy was always joking around and my husband said he seemed like a nice guy. Crazy how things can seem one way and then bam, something like this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: