Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM

464 posts, read 832,271 times

Advertisements

It looks like this thread was revived from 2 yrs. ago and I did not read all 7 pages but after simply reading the OP's original posting....have to give my 2 cents.

You are in their backyard, buddy, not the other way around.

If people choose to live in an environment with wildlife...accomodate your household accordingly. Coyotes are not the only predators lurking around homes trying to find food for themselves and their pups. Bobcats and wolves are also frequent visitors and are going to scale your walls if neccessary.

It's simple. In AZ, any responsible small pet owner does not leave his/her animals out on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
wolves are also frequent visitors
No they most certainly are not frequent visitors. Current population estimates for both Arizona and New Mexico combined is a grand total of 50 wolves. Source: Wolf reintroduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Add that to the fact that wolves are incredibly reclusive means that you'd be exceedingly lucky to ever see one, and never in an urban area. Even in Yellowstone NP where most of the wildlife is practically tame, you're lucky to get within a half-mile of a wolf.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
No they most certainly are not frequent visitors. Current population estimates for both Arizona and New Mexico combined is a grand total of 50 wolves. Source: Wolf reintroduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Add that to the fact that wolves are incredibly reclusive means that you'd be exceedingly lucky to ever see one, and never in an urban area. Even in Yellowstone NP where most of the wildlife is practically tame, you're lucky to get within a half-mile of a wolf.
It depends upon where you live, my friend. A pair of beautiful wolves pass through our backyard (a wash) from time to time and a single one once. A couple of weeks ago a wolf pup passed in front of me on the road about 3 houses down and just stood by the edge watching me as I had to stop. As we acclimate to living in their environment, they have acclimated to ours and are not as reclusive as you may think. We've only seen the pair pass through here at dusk but the pup was after dark.

Lucky? We are indeed. A large bobcat was just sitting on the side of the yard 2 weeks ago and if my husband had not pointed it out, it would have been quite startling to take our lil tiny dog out to do her business and not see him/her there first....for the consequences could have been fatal if he hadn't ate recently. However, we watched him make a half-hearted leap towards a bird by the bush and then simply meander along up the hill...not even batting an eye when my husband went out to take a closer look.

Last edited by makeitagreatday; 01-12-2012 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
It depends upon where you live, my friend. A pair of beautiful wolves pass through our backyard (a wash) from time to time and a single one once. A couple of weeks ago a wolf pup passed in front of me on the road about 3 houses down and just stood by the edge watching me as I had to stop. As we acclimate to living in their environment, they have acclimated to ours and are not as reclusive as you may think. We've only seen the pair pass through here at dusk but the pup was after dark.
Did you bother to read the link, my friend? They were EXTINCT until reintroduced recently with a combined population of 50 of them today across two states! And you have THREE in your backyard? Oh please.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Did you bother to read the link, my friend? They were EXTINCT until reintroduced recently with a combined population of 50 of them today across two states! And you have THREE in your backyard? Oh please.
No, I did not read the link yet, my friend, but apparently you must see to believe and I suspect the information provided in the link is probably misleading because I do not believe they congregate in our wash.

May you also be so lucky one day to enjoy watching the wildlife too as it is simply amazing. I must ask as you do not actually know what wildlife exists here---do you live in Arizona or somewhere else?

Just to really upset you, I suppose you think that nobody ever sees the American Bald Eagles either, right??? Sorry to disappoint you again but we had a few of them that used to nest in the next door neighbor's tree and hunt from their perch above the edge of the lake just below our home in Michigan.

In Michigan they had also reintroduced wolves but claimed the repopulation number was quite low. Well, ask the people whose yards and farms they visit for prey if they are reclusive when hungary. Same with cougars. For years MI officially denied that any existed there but after repeated attacks on livestock and horses, they had to acknowledge that they were indeed surviving and thriving. My nephew there had a cougar mom and her pup pass by his yard 2 mos. ago and my sister-in-law's friend's horse was determined to have been killed by one through the autopsy. They are wild and we as humans have inadvertantly cut off their food supply as we continue to build out into their areas. The cougars are thought to have been introduced into the area through people releasing them when they became older and had initially bought them as 'exotic' pets as babies to become domesticated pets....and they are not.

Last edited by makeitagreatday; 01-13-2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
May you also be so lucky one day to enjoy watching the wildlife too as it is simply amazing. I must ask as you do not actually know what wildlife exists here---do you live in Arizona or somewhere else?

Just to really upset you, I suppose you think that nobody ever sees the American Bald Eagles either, right??? Sorry to disappoint you again but we had a few of them that used to nest in the next door neighbor's tree and hunt from their perch above the edge of the lake just below our home in Michigan.
Actually I am a landscape and wildlife photographer and spent the last 5 years living and photographing nature in Arizona and around the southwest. I just recently moved to CA.

Here are a few random photos of mine.

Mohave Green Rattler (most dangerous snake in North America)

Wild burros

Big Horns

One of my shots in the local newspaper

Harris Hawk taking down a jack rabbit

Baldies in New Mexico

I have baldies from AZ on a different server that's down right now.

Coyote

Wolf

Me

Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Seems your challenge was misplaced. Kdog knows very well what he's talking about. You can count me among the unbelievers that there are wolves around your property in Fountain Hills. Some large, healthy coyotes, perhaps, but not wolves. Perhaps some pictures of your own are in order.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Seems your challenge was misplaced. Kdog knows very well what he's talking about. You can count me among the unbelievers that there are wolves around your property in Fountain Hills. Some large, healthy coyotes, perhaps, but not wolves. Perhaps some pictures of your own are in order.
No, not coyotes, gentleman, as I've seen coyotes for years. As a side note, I already knew he was a wildlife photographer and simply waiting for him to show himself.

The unbelievers go through life with their eyes closed...hope yours are open one day to catch a glimpse of the things we are so very fortunate to enjoy. (I only wish I had a mega zoom lens like some....)

Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Actually I am a landscape and wildlife photographer and spent the last 5 years living and photographing nature in Arizona and around the southwest. I just recently moved to CA.
I knew you would 'show' yourself eventually, kdog. Love your shots.

The rattler pic creeps me out as....and I know you probably don't want to hear this...but a Western Diamondback got up close and personal while I was watering the yard trees (his fangs about a foot behind me before I realized what that weird rattling sound was) and I hope that to be our only meeting as I could not get out of his way quick enough and then he stood on his tail and danced along the wall down to the wash.

We have concluded with the neighbors that we see such an abundance of wildlife due to the fact that nobody bothers them as they come down from the mountain in our little area. The neighbor leaves their back gate open for the bobcat to enjoy their pool. If this were a hunting area, we would not see as much as we do, I believe.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
(I only wish I had a mega zoom lens like some....)
Hey, some people drive fancy cars. I drive a fancy lens. Priorities, man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area