Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM

73 posts, read 152,605 times

Advertisements

This may be silly and me over-worrying, but I've never lived in an area with ferocious wildlife, so please don't mock me too much.

I've heard the horror stories about coyotes snatching people's dogs. I have two little dogs (mini schnauzer mixes, both just over 10 pounds), and we are moving to the Canyon Trails neighborhood in Goodyear over the summer.
Obviously they are mostly indoor dogs, and just go outside to run around a bit and do their business. I plan on being outside with them when they are in the yard (we do have one of those tall stone wall fences), but would like to take them on walks in the neighborhood park areas and such. Has anyone ever had (or heard of people having) problems with coyotes in this area? Are there any general coyote safety tips I need to know?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Coyotes eat little dogs. There was a small dog nabbed by a coyote on my street when I lived in Illinois. It's what they do when they're hungry. Just be aware. Refrain from letting your dogs out if you spot any. If your yard is enclosed I can't imagine any problems.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
You should be completely fine. Just make sure to check your yard before you let them out and be careful when you walk them.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
live near the area and have never heard of an issue ..... Most of that area is petty built up .... Did see one at my dentist office though

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
I live in the Canyon Trails area of Goodyear and there are lots of coyotes in the area as we see them often on our nightly walks around the neighborhood. However, you have nothing to worry about as coyotes won't be able to get into your block wall protected yard and they don't approach you when out and about, they take off running as you approach. Coyotes are typically not aggressive animals and will avoid you at all cost.

We have a Miniature Schnauzer and the only thing that has ever bothered her was an owl swooped down at her one night while we were out walking. I seen the owl flying towards her and ran over to her and the owl turned about six inches above her back. The owl was smaller than the dog so I don't know what it planned on doing but it was going to try and maybe the dog looked bigger the closer it got and thought better of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 AM

310 posts, read 1,160,304 times
I live in Canyon Trails as well, I have a seen a few coyotes in the general area, but not on my particular street. As previously mentioned, they will avoid human contact. Just use your common sense and you will be fine!!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
right on - I will defer to the experts and ask them kindly to keep their coyotes in their subdivision and have them avoid wandering east a little

Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
right on - I will defer to the experts and ask them kindly to keep their coyotes in their subdivision and have them avoid wandering east a little
My subdivision is not completed and there is a LOT of open land so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the coyotes running around here.

One night we were in the backyard and heard a bunch of coyotes howling and yipping and thought "man, that is a lot of coyotes". An hour later we went for our nightly walk and when we got about 1/4 mile from our house there were 14 coyotes running around playing with one another. As soon as they seen us they went running across Yuma into the Cotton Flower development.

I'm from Idaho and have been coyote hunting my entire life and have never seen that many coyotes together at one time. Normally they are not pack animals.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I live in the Canyon Trails area of Goodyear and there are lots of coyotes in the area as we see them often on our nightly walks around the neighborhood. However, you have nothing to worry about as coyotes won't be able to get into your block wall protected yard and they don't approach you when out and about, they take off running as you approach. Coyotes are typically not aggressive animals and will avoid you at all cost.

We have a Miniature Schnauzer and the only thing that has ever bothered her was an owl swooped down at her one night while we were out walking. I seen the owl flying towards her and ran over to her and the owl turned about six inches above her back. The owl was smaller than the dog so I don't know what it planned on doing but it was going to try and maybe the dog looked bigger the closer it got and thought better of it.
Wish that was the case but as with any wild carnivore you must take care. There's been many documented cases of wolves/coyote vs human encounters. It usually depends on A. How hungry they are. B.If they think they can take down the prey they're trying to get. That's why the sleeping guy got nailed in my opinion, the coyote figured it would be an easy meal. As for them not being able to enter a backyard over a 6 foot wall, really? While it may deter them but stop them if they truly want what's back there? I think not.
The one other thing you might want to consider is bobcats and other larger cats as well as hawks (for little animals). Before you scoff, we'd been staying at an RV park in Casa Grande surrounded by other developments and a family of bobcats appeared one day out of nowhere. We were told they'd been forced from their usual grounds by other cats and were setting up a new hunting area so yes, they can be around.
If one lives in the middle of a subdivision and the "wildlands" are a few blocks away the risk is reduced I'd think but still not eliminated. I certainly don't fear they're going to attack all the time BUT I do remain aware of my surroundings when out walking and such just like I would when walking in a big city.
From 7news on 3-16-2012:
PEORIA, Ariz. (WHDH) -- Several unprovoked coyote attacks in Peoria, Ariz. have many residents on edge in a 55-plus community.
Ralph Ditchie, who had a hunk taken out of his leg, still has his sense of humor. Ditchie was sunbathing on in his backyard when he felt something grab onto his calf. He thought it was his wife saying, "Honey, naptime is over." But when he looked down, he saw blood, and when he looked back up, he saw a coyote.

Read more: Coyotes attack snowbirds, people in Arizona - 7NEWS Boston News WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There's been many documented cases of wolves/coyote vs human encounters.
You can't compare wolves and coyotes because they behave completely different. Wolves live, hunt and travel in packs, coyotes are not normally pack animals. There are thousands of times more coyotes then there are wolves and there are hardly ever any issues between coyotes and humans. Of course there are a few exceptions out there but nothing to worry yourself about.

A coyote can't get over a 6 ft concrete wall but could possibly dig under it but I bet you would be hard pressed to find someone that could tell you about a coyote spending the time or energy to dig under a block wall. They would go for an easier meal then go through all that.

Of course your little dog may be in danger if you let it out of your yard off leash or unattended but there is little to worry about a dog in your yard, in this neighborhood, if the yard is fenced in and you have made sure the dog can't dig out (which will make it so a coyote can't dig in). Normally the only vulnerable spot in AZ yards is under the gate between the gate and gravel. I poured a concrete sidewalk under my gate so my dog can't dig out and nothing can dig in. it would take a lot of work for something to dig in or out under the actual block wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area