Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,621,300 times

Advertisements

Mountain lion sighted in Queen Creek wash

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...ings-abrk.html

Let's not forget these guys. Beautiful cats but wow, I'd hat to be bike riding and see that thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM

391 posts, read 789,122 times
I have zero expertise about mountain lions or any wildlife. And I mean zero!

But...

Years ago, I took my kids to the local zoo. It was hot and the animals were listless and would not budge from their naps.

However, I noticed that when my kids ran by the predator type animals, they would jump and trot back and forth with the kids.I got my kids to run fast past some dormant wolves. The wolves were up in seconds tracking the kids. We tried it on a few other predators and same results.

My conclusion was that its instinctive for predatory creatures to track small animals that are moving.

So.... not to be paranoid, but since that day, I watched my kids closely when we were in the "wild"

Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post

But...

Years ago, I took my kids to the local zoo. It was hot and the animals were listless and would not budge from their naps.

However, I noticed that when my kids ran by the predator type animals, they would jump and trot back and forth with the kids.I got my kids to run fast past some dormant wolves. The wolves were up in seconds tracking the kids. We tried it on a few other predators and same results.

My conclusion was that its instinctive for predatory creatures to track small animals that are moving.

So.... not to be paranoid, but since that day, I watched my kids closely when we were in the "wild"
I worked as night security at a marine/wildlife park when I was younger. The first week was training and showing me around, places to check etc. When we got to the cages containing the "cats" I asked "if a cat gets out what do I do?" The first answer was "if you are out walking the park DO NOT RUN as they will think you're prey and most certainly chase you down and kill you. Slowly move away acting as big as possible and hope like heck they're either full or bored with you.

As for the coyote issue, I subscribe to the 3 S's. Shoot,shovel,shut up.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post

But...

Yes, you are right on.

Since they do come into the valley on occasion this is what you need to know.
When going hiking don't bring your dog. Go with a friend or two instead. Otherwise it's like bringing a treat, it attracts the lions.

If you see one, don't run, as you've mention they like to chase.
Instead walk backward slowly, try to act as large as possible and if that doesn't work fight them off. Humans have fought them off before.

Know they can have rabies.
Rabid mountain lion attacks Arizona man and his dog - Yahoo! News

And lastly, don't be a wild life photographer. This lady came out of her home to snap some pics in Scottsdale. Not smart.
Mountain lions sighted on Scottsdale golf course

They don't come in town often, usually when it's hot to drink from pools or when they are hungry to look for farm life. They like to travel down washes, they will go into your backyard, and they love our golf courses.

Good thing is they will eat a coyote. lol

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-08-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
We have had such a dismal winter season for rain that there is no water and no food for the wild critters. We are going to see more "attacks" until monsoon hopefully comes and helps out. This reminds me of the drought a few years back when the bears were showing up in peoples yards in the northeast parts of town.

And don't feed the coyotes. It is illegal and is asking for trouble. Almost all of these incidents can be tracked back to someone in the area leaving food out for the coyotes.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We have had such a dismal winter season for rain that there is no water and no food for the wild critters. We are going to see more "attacks" until monsoon hopefully comes and helps out. This reminds me of the drought a few years back when the bears were showing up in peoples yards in the northeast parts of town.

And don't feed the coyotes. It is illegal and is asking for trouble. Almost all of these incidents can be tracked back to someone in the area leaving food out for the coyotes.
Either on purpose or by ignorance.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,136,856 times
A friend just showed me a picture he took of a javelina right in the neighborhood, here in north Mesa.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

Oh, I remember that. Poor things, at least some of them were relocated. They had to shoot the mountain lion because once they come down, they always come down. We haven't seen much water this spring, I hope it's a good monsoon as well.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
A friend just showed me a picture he took of a javelina right in the neighborhood, here in north Mesa.
They do get around!
That brings up another warning, dogs and Javelina do not mix. It's my understanding that Javelina's number ONE "dislike" is dogs and are prone to go after them if one is near.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM

24,522 posts, read 26,066,514 times
How about a baby bob cat. He's a cutie.

Scottsdale man takes in baby bobcat found alone at Phoenix intersection | azfamily.com Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area