Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,144 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We have just begun poking around this particular forum for info, seems to be most active and up to date one for Phoenix area!

We are trying to figure out our move from here in WI, Hopefully this is our last winter! How i will miss the -35 degree weather lol.

My main concern has been crime, I've seen phoenix on the news plenty with high type violence, my kids currently attend a Blue Ribbon Elementry School(blue ribbon is one of the best schools in the States its awarded to) What is some of your input on elementry schools/middle schools around you area? I am unsure of area, would like one where it's a little more green, seems like Surprise has more green(from satellite photos).

We've got the moving things figured out, and companies picked out that will do it, as much as we love our Husky, we can't bear bringing her there, she isn't meant for that hot of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Surprise is not THAT green. I wouldn't rely on satellite photos for that determination. You need to come out here and look around to get a feel for areas you might like.

And, there are Huskies here. You don't leave a member of the family behind. Bring her.

I know schools are important, but where you live is going to need to be related to where you work. Commutes here can be VERY long.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis8307 View Post
Hello,
We have just begun poking around this particular forum for info, seems to be most active and up to date one for Phoenix area!

We are trying to figure out our move from here in WI, Hopefully this is our last winter! How i will miss the -35 degree weather lol.

My main concern has been crime, I've seen phoenix on the news plenty with high type violence, my kids currently attend a Blue Ribbon Elementry School(blue ribbon is one of the best schools in the States its awarded to) What is some of your input on elementry schools/middle schools around you area? I am unsure of area, would like one where it's a little more green, seems like Surprise has more green(from satellite photos).

We've got the moving things figured out, and companies picked out that will do it, as much as we love our Husky, we can't bear bringing her there, she isn't meant for that hot of weather.
Congrats on your plans for a big move!

The crime rate varies by area, of course. Your best bet is to check websites for the police departments in areas that interest you. They normally post crime stats by precinct, etc. as a public service, and will answer specific questions you might have via email.

Sorry, but I don't have any information about schools, but others will have plenty to say.

Surprise is a suburb of Phoenix, but still in the valley. We are in the Sonoran desert - nothing is particularly green, especially in the Midwestern sense of the word! Surprise is neither greener nor browner than the rest of the Phoenix metro area.

As for your dog, I'll try to be as diplomatic as possible here. With each animal I've ever welcomed into my heart, I have a lifetime commitment to them. Moving never changed that. Animals become members of the family. Having said all that, there are lots of Huskies in this area. My friend has three. The weather here is like a flip of your weather in Wisconsin. Instead of keeping animals inside to protect from extreme cold, here, you keep them inside to protect from extreme heat. Easy!

Best wishes to you on your move.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:50 AM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
We have settled on Gilbert, Chandler is similar. This area is greener in appearance and probably more attractive to a midwesterner. We feel safe here and are also from a nationally recognized school district. Its not quite as excellent, but it is still good. Chandler schools are supposedly better, Hamilton Perry, esp. Highland HS here in Gilbert has a really good reputation. My honors student is very happy at the new, smaller Campo Verde HS but there are less options and she claims its a wee bit less challenging. But she really likes the design and size, and I like the overall vibe of the student body that I see. Nice kids are important to a new student.
I could go on ( and have) but unless the commute is restrictive I would do a search here on schools, crime and overall environment of Gilbert/Chandler. Kyrene district what I keep hearing as the "best" but it is not so green in that area, we did some drives. It just does not feel like home to us.

Have not been to Suprise but from all my research I think that is not a top of the list school araa if that is really important to you. Hope it all works out for you, we are happy we took the leap!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
Parts of The Madison School District are excellent, and are in very convenient areas of Central Phoenix.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
A recent issue of Phoenix magazine ran a list of the best rated schools in the area. That might be helpful.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,721 times
Best Schools in Phoenix - Find a Good School in Maricopa County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area