Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:00 AM

54 posts, read 225,178 times

Advertisements

What are considered the boundaries that make up North Phoenix? I'm speaking of the nice areas to live in with decent schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 07:22 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,475,411 times
I'd say that it's everything in Phoenix city limits that is north of the Phoenix Mountains Preserve (Piestewa Peak, Dreamy Draw, North Mountain, Shaw Butte, etc.) Street boundaries will vary due to the irregularity of the mountains, but east of the 51 Freeway, I'd say everything north of Shea is in North Phoenix. West of the 51 Freeway, it shifts up to Cactus and Thunderbird. Everything from there up to the city limits is North Phoenix, even though there are individual neighborhoods within that area with their own identities (e.g. Moon Valley)Generally, anything south of the Phoenix Mountains Preseve is not in North Phoenix. North Central Phoenix, for example, is south of the mountains and is distinct from North Phoenix.

Some of North Phoenix is a nice suburban area; other parts are not as nice. There are other regulars on this board who know the area better than I and can help you sort out the good and the bad. Personally, I prefer the areas south of the mountains, including North Central Phoenix, Arcadia, etc. for good neighborhoods and schools closer to Downtown.

Last edited by exit2lef; 07-06-2007 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 AM

54 posts, read 225,178 times
Thanks. I'll see what others have to say too.

I'm having a hard time deciding exactly where to rent at first.

North Phoenix, Ahwatukee, South Tempe, Scottsdale.......?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,186,120 times
I agree with Silverbear with what constitutes north Phx. Others have said in the past a boundary MUCH further south, which I just don't agree with. It's hard to pinpoint some of the better areas. There are many areas in n. phx that are not that great, IMO. You would have to drive around to see what you think. There are a few areas that I like, one is close to the Scottsdale boundary (which is Tatum blvd), up near Greenway, Bell, and Union Hills. I've heard the schools are good up here (PVSD) (the more south you go by just a few miles they aren't as good anymore). This area is actually NE Phx.

After living almost my whole life in N. or NE Phx, I eventually moved to N. Peoria and then to N. Glendale, which is so much nicer and newer. Also, with good schools (Deer Valley SD).

Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 8,733 times
How are north phx schools such as Deer Valley Unified? I was looking at the Sonoran Foothills as a place to call home??

Old 12-27-2008, 08:39 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,965,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post

After living almost my whole life in N. or NE Phx, I eventually moved to N. Peoria and then to N. Glendale, which is so much nicer and newer.
You don't live in N. Glendale, do you? I thought you said it was around Pinnacle Peak and 43rd Ave.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:20 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,186,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You don't live in N. Glendale, do you? I thought you said it was around Pinnacle Peak and 43rd Ave.
Well, I do live somewhat close to there. I live in Glendale and in the north part of it. We are in that gray space where it's Phoenix, but also Glendale. I call it whatever my address is.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:43 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,433,425 times
I feel that North Phoenix is one of the nicest parts of the city, it may not have the biggest or newest homes, but I love the area. I live right at 7th st and Union Hills.

I think the boundrie is really the 101, anything more north can be considered deer valley I believe.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Well, I do live somewhat close to there. I live in Glendale and in the north part of it. We are in that gray space where it's Phoenix, but also Glendale. I call it whatever my address is.

I don't know why but it's a huge pet peeve of mine when people do that.

There is no "gray space". If you live east of 67th Ave, north of Pinnacle Peak, it's Phoenix. The Phoenix border moves to 51st Ave south of Pinnacle Peak. So if your house is east of those streets, it's Phoenix...no matter what your address is.

The easiest way to figure it out is to see who you pay your water bill to.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAU_Josh View Post
I feel that North Phoenix is one of the nicest parts of the city, it may not have the biggest or newest homes, but I love the area. I live right at 7th st and Union Hills.

I think the boundrie is really the 101, anything more north can be considered deer valley I believe.
Actually Deer Valley starts at Greenway Rd I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area