Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Personally, I would chose the school over the area. Look at which program is the best quality-wise. I wouldn't be as worried about location for now. You're young, you can pack up and move anywheres after your program is done. I'd be more focused on which place offers the best education and financing of it, if that's applicable.
As a recent graduate having gone though this whole process twice now, I'd say where you go to school will most likely be where you'll end up working (if you can get a job) after you graduate. It is excruciatingly hard to get hired as an out-of-state job candidate anywhere right now. Even if you just pick up and move to your choice location after you graduate, it's very hard to get hired as a newbie to a town without any past local school/work connections there. If you strongly want to be in Phoenix, then go to school there and get situated there now. I'd say if you really don't care where you end up, then research the cities that you think will have the best job opportunities in your field and pick the best school you can get into among those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacat View Post
Hey all, I would love to hear some opinions about the city, particularly from those who have lived in Colorado.

Probably too much background info:

I was born and raised in Colorado, went to Boulder for my undergrad, and am now getting ready to go to graduate school out of state. Having lived here for 24 years now, I am very tired of being in the same place. I do love the mountains though, and I know it will be a "culture shock" no matter where I go, since I haven't experienced anything else yet in life!

I'll be studying to become a physician assistant, which if you aren't familiar with the career, involves a VERY intense 2.5 years of what is essentially medical school. That is the key thing to keep in mind. I already know that my life will basically revolve around campus and I will NOT have the same freedom to get out and explore the area like so many other people my age. At best, I may go out for drinks once a month... if that.

So far, I have had interviews at 3 programs. They are varied to say the least:

- Phoenix (specifically, Midwestern in Glendale)
- Chicago (Midwestern's other location in Downer's Grove)
- Portland (Oregon Health and Science University)

So we have lots of heat, tons of population, and lots of overcast/rain. All pretty much... extreme, compared to what I'm used to in Boulder/Denver.

I was not a fan of Chicago, mostly because of the lack of mountains. I really hated not seeing anything in all directions, other than more city. Also, there was no peace anywhere. Highways, traffic, people and congestion. Perhaps I'm just not used to it, since I've been living in towns no larger than 200,000 people. I'm currently in Portland and even after 2 days of the rain (although I know it's much better in the summer) I'm a little afraid of being depressed by the lack of sunlight on top of the stress of school. I loved Midwestern's campus in Glendale, but the lack of seasons and sprawl is making me nervous.

I've been reading these forums and have seen no shortage of complaints about how there isn't a nightlife or much to do for young 20-somethings like me. However, I'm not looking to date anyone right now (will hopefully be able to continue my current relationship during school) and I just won't be looking to entertain myself THAT often. What is nice about Arizona is the fact that I'd have lots of daylight hours, the ability to go biking/hiking/jogging in the mornings almost year-round, and no worries about weather preventing me from ever getting to class or clinical rotations.

Considering it's only 2 years, do you think the novelty of the heat and sun would wear off that quickly?

Do any of you actually live in Glendale? How are apartments in the area? My only requirement is that they allow both of my cats, and a washer/dryer IN the unit would be a big plus... I have spent the past 4 years walking up and down 4 flights of stairs with laundry and I am over that.

Thanks for reading my novel; I would just appreciate any stories from people my age or who only lived in the Phoenix area for a few years. I think a lot of the complaints I'm seeing are probably true for ANY big city, or for anyone who has lived in one place for too long. I know there are tons of people fighting to come to Colorado, but after 24 years, even that can wear on you...
The nightlife in the Valley is much better than anything in Colorado, trust me. It's more west coast and Los Angeles-like. There is a bigger single life here than in Colorado because we have few natives and most people move here from out of state and don't know anyone. So people are pretty open to meeting new people. The people who are complaining about a lack of nightlife are people who don't go out. Think about the types of people who complain here. They are people without jobs and don't have a lot of money. Do you think those people are going out? I'm a physician and I have a lot of residents and medical students from Midwestern among other schools and when these guys show up late to rounds because they were partying the previous night, trust me when I say there is enough of a night life here.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
As a recent graduate having gone though this whole process twice now, I'd say where you go to school will most likely be where you'll end up working (if you can get a job) after you graduate. It is excruciatingly hard to get hired as an out-of-state job candidate anywhere right now. Even if you just pick up and move to your choice location after you graduate, it's very hard to get hired as a newbie to a town without any past local school/work connections there. If you strongly want to be in Phoenix, then go to school there and get situated there now. I'd say if you really don't care where you end up, then research the cities that you think will have the best job opportunities in your field and pick the best school you can get into among those places.
It's different in the medical field. You can go anywhere especially if you are a PA because they are highly in demand especially as reimbursement has fallen, more primary care physicians are hiring mid-levels like PA's so they can see more patients. If she wanted to move back to Colorado when she is done, she can do so. I wouldn't be surprised to see her wanting to stay. You were the same way, you used to criticize this place all the time until you realized how good it really was here and now you are trying to move back but can't due to the economy.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's different in the medical field. You can go anywhere especially if you are a PA because they are highly in demand especially as reimbursement has fallen, more primary care physicians are hiring mid-levels like PA's so they can see more patients. If she wanted to move back to Colorado when she is done, she can do so. I wouldn't be surprised to see her wanting to stay. You were the same way, you used to criticize this place all the time until you realized how good it really was here and now you are trying to move back but can't due to the economy.
Glad to hear there are still some fields out there in demand.

I'm highly critical of every place I've lived, it's just the way I am. What I've learned is that if a place is really "home" to you you learn to overlook the crap and appreciate the finer things. But I do miss Phoenix a lot. True, earlier this summer when I was unemployed I tried applying to jobs in Phoenix. I did have one interview there, flew out on my own expense, but it didn't amount to anything. I also spent a few days visiting for fun in August.

The biggest thing I miss about Phoenix is the way it looks just driving/walking around. Compared to Phoenix, Denver is very dark, gloomy, drab, old and "blaise" looking. Phoenix has more cheerful looking architecture (IMO), more exotic vegetation, more consistent sunlight. It just gives the whole place a different "vibe," a different "mood." I also miss the abundance of open air, mist-cooled bars/restaurants. I think Phoenix is also a highly under-rated food city, and overall I'd rate PHX having better restaurants than Denver. Culturally, I don't think there's much of a difference between native/long term Arizonans and native/long term Coloradans, other than different climate tolerances and the types of outdoor activities commonly enjoyed. However, the different types of transplants each state is now attracting is a little different.

I'm happy in Denver though, most of my family is here which makes a big difference, and I started a new job recently so I'm back here to stay for at least a few years before I would consider re-evaluating if I want to move again.

If the OP is still reading this-- if you feel a sense of adventure, wanting something new/different, then might as well give Phoenix/ Glendale/ Midwestern University a shot.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 18,158 times
I am still reading this thread- thanks for the continued input, everyone! Since I last posted here, I accepted my invitation to Midwestern in Glendale, put down my deposit, etc. The wheels are officially turning! Hopefully I will be able to sell my condo next spring and move there in early May so that I can have a few weeks to settle in before classes start in June.

@azriverfan - thanks so much for your info. This is off topic, but what area do you practice in? Have you had good experiences with MWU PA students? Do they seem fairly well prepared?

@vegas - Just to reiterate what AZ said above, PAs are in enough demand that I really don't have fears of finding an out-of-state job. I'm also active on another forum dedicated to PAs and the ONLY complaints that new grads ever make are:

1. Making less than 100 grand a year (of course you will, you're a PA, not an MD)

2. Being FORCED to look out of state for jobs. A lot of students are older and have families that are not easy to relocate, so they try to stay in one city and wait for an opening in a specialty area like dermatology because they are not interested in primary care. Many PAs are fleeing that area for the same reasons that make it difficult to retain MDs. It's an awful cycle...

Luckily I am happy to move again out of Phoenix and primary/rural/underserved care IS my passion so I should have very little trouble getting started elsewhere. What most concerns me for my first job is finding a doc who is a willing and patient teacher so that I can build confidence in my abilities and better serve our patients. The pay will be enough to handle my student loans, which are another beast entirely...

Currently, my mind is now focused back in Colorado to get this condo ready for sale, although I am occasionally looking at apartment complexes in Glendale for "fun." San Prado and the others right across from Midwestern are extremely expensive (800-1000/month) so they are most likely out of the question.

Meadow Glen (Union and 43rd) and all the places clustered at the intersection of the 101 and I17 are more within my range. It will be a 5-10 minute commute which is perfectly manageable considering the 3-400 price drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area