Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,861 times

Advertisements

Ok...that is so funny....Who let the secret out about rocking chairs in the airport......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
What many people fail to comprehend about Phoenix: it's the FIFTH most populated city in our entire country. Only New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston are bigger. With that size you get a lot of opportunities; you also get a lot of challenges. Phoenix has grown very quickly and, personally, I question whether or not it has the ability to meet all those challenges successfully and with equanimity toward all its citizens.

Urban life anywhere has one big thing in common. The rich live more fabulous lives than they could elsewhere and the poor suffer more than they might elsewhere. If you're in between, it is what you make of it. You will deal with a broad range of people, incredible traffic, things spread out in every direction. It can be hard to make friends, but if you have a specific niche, the sheer number of people make it likely someone from your niche will be here -- if you can find them in the crowd. In Phoenix the size of the land area this huge population is spread over makes that more difficult.

The harshness of the desert environment makes life physically harder than it is some other places. To many, the lack of snow, hurricanes, and earthquakes is a wonderful boon. I'd say Phoenix has a much slower pace than any other Top Ten U.S. city. Perhaps it's due to the heat. There's not a lot of "chop-chop, let's do it." But it's still urban; slow here doesn't necessarily translate to charmingly laid-back.

As they say, "You're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy." Phoenix sure as hell is nothing like North Carolina. There aren't any front porch rocking chairs in the airport. If that's good or bad, only you can decide.
Excellent post.

Must look for the rocking chairs if I ever pass thru CLT.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,574,331 times
Here's my opinion on Phoenix and I just moved here, am a senior and--once the majority of home fixing was done--found myself somewhat bored by it all once I took a week off to just chill, so last night I picked up the local Phoenix magazine and good grief! There is so much selection of what to do just this coming weekend that it is amazing!!! I can only hit a couple of the many, many fun things Phoenix has to do--and for free, too! Yes, there are events that cost, but I was just looking for free events right now; so you cannot use money as an excuse for not attending things here.
I plan to start going out on weekends, at the very least, because you cannot say Phoenix doesn't have activities. I am in heaven...and so many of the activities are things I would love, too, from an Indian festival (Navajo) to different cooking events to art festivals to sporting events, which are really popular here.
But, like everyone else said, you have to get your fanny off the couch and out of the house.
People here are really friendly and open in general. I think it must be the sun, but, regardless, you will find alot of transplants here and not feel like you are the only one, too.
This is a great place. I know I'm glad I picked it finally after searching for too long a time.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:51 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Here's my opinion on Phoenix and I just moved here, am a senior and--once the majority of home fixing was done--found myself somewhat bored by it all once I took a week off to just chill, so last night I picked up the local Phoenix magazine and good grief! There is so much selection of what to do just this coming weekend that it is amazing!!! I can only hit a couple of the many, many fun things Phoenix has to do--and for free, too! Yes, there are events that cost, but I was just looking for free events right now; so you cannot use money as an excuse for not attending things here.
I plan to start going out on weekends, at the very least, because you cannot say Phoenix doesn't have activities. I am in heaven...and so many of the activities are things I would love, too, from an Indian festival (Navajo) to different cooking events to art festivals to sporting events, which are really popular here.
But, like everyone else said, you have to get your fanny off the couch and out of the house.
People here are really friendly and open in general. I think it must be the sun, but, regardless, you will find alot of transplants here and not feel like you are the only one, too.
This is a great place. I know I'm glad I picked it finally after searching for too long a time.
Another good source of things going on is azcentral.com and also New Times paper found free all over.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,861 times
People look at me like Im crazy(FAMILY) when I say that I want to relocate to Phoenix...You see most of my family is from NC and never migrated out of NC...which to me is no way to live...Just dont want any regrets...Dont' get me wrong..NC is my home and will always be home...but even as a teenager..I always resonated with the west coast for some reason... and trust me I've been there done that to everything in NC....which is not saying much.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:02 AM

289 posts, read 751,481 times
It does not matter where you live, if you live on your couch---as already mentioned more than a few times.

Anybody can be miserable if they want to be. Whiners and naysayers live in Hawaii also, complaining about different things. The nice thing about life is that you own your own attitude and perspective.

You can't change the weather or traffic, but if you change your perspective of these and accept them, your attitude will follow.

For some others, possibly better living through your local pharmacy.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
I moved to AZ just because I could and for no other reason aside from the warmth and a different atmosphere. I don't have family out here, didn't have a job when I moved, and didn't have any friends close by. Every day I made it a point to explore my surroundings just a bit further and joined meetup.com to meet friends.

I recently took a trip to NC for my cousin's wedding and from my experience (having lived in Phx for 2 years now - transplant from MA) Downtown Phx and Downtown NC are the same. There's not much happening. But, having said that, coming in from a small town in MA, there's plenty to do here. . . especially if you love being outdoors. There are also plenty of attractions, museums, nearby places of interest and lots of exploring to do (day trips).

Tempe is the college town, Downtown Phx has it's quirky parts that are fun and amusing, Scottsdale is the wanna be seen spot for nightlife, Gilbert is a family oriented community, and Mesa could use some help if it ever entered into a popularity contest.

Life can be boring anywhere you live so it's up to you to make your life as entertaining as you want it to be.

What's the worse than can happen when you move out here? You don't like it and move back. Give it a try or you may end up always wondering what if.

Now I consider AZ my home. I'm happiest here and I still get to visit family back East about once a year. =)

Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,335,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
People look at me like Im crazy(FAMILY) when I say that I want to relocate to Phoenix...You see most of my family is from NC and never migrated out of NC...which to me is no way to live...Just dont want any regrets...Dont' get me wrong..NC is my home and will always be home...but even as a teenager..I always resonated with the west coast for some reason... and trust me I've been there done that to everything in NC....which is not saying much.
But what you don't seem to be getting from any of our posts -- even the ones most complimentary about Phoenix -- is that this is NOT the "West Coast." Arizona is NOTHING like California, Oregon, or Washington. Phoenix is NOTHING like San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle. As different as they are, all are more like each other than any of them is like Phoenix. Phoenix may resemble Los Angeles in size, dominance of freeways, and perhaps some Spanish Colonial architecture. Otherwise: nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

The most upscale neighborhood in Scottsdale might have a fantasy that it is like Beverly Hills, but it is not. I've spent time in ALL the aforementioned cities. I've worked four, lived in two, vacationed in all of them (I've worked in Charlottesville, too; that's how I know about the rockers.) I can't for the life of me understand what "resonating with the west coast" has to do with Phoenix, Arizona, a terrifically hot valley in the middle of the desert.

But you sound young and determined. So I'm sure you'll cope.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:00 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,929,389 times
Those are good points Jukesgrrl made about the West Coast. This is the West, but in particular it is the Southwest. It's a very different feel than Southern California. That is truly the West Coast, even two-three hours inland from the coast. Even Oregon and Washington are truly the West, with their particular Northwest flavor and culture. But Arizona is the Southwest Desert, which is a whole different feel altogether. There are some upscale areas here that will make certain people happy, but they are resort-like which is indistinguishable worldwide except for local-themed landscaping and decor (and menus).

I have worked in every city Jukesgrrl mentioned except Seattle. Phoenix downtown is like a small town. That's not to knock Phoenix, but there's just not much going on there. It feels dead compared to the other cities. Portland is absolutely bustling with energy even in this harsh economic climate, and so are L.A., San Diego and San Francisco.

The bottom line is discovering whether you really like the climate, the landscaping, the available activities, the people, etc. You can only find that out by visiting and by actually living here for a time. Right now people are saying to me "yeah, you like it but wait until next summer." I knew exactly what I was getting into by moving here. It wasn't fun dealing with the 108 degree heat we briefly had in September and almost as high in October for part of the month.

The question is: which do you prefer? Trying to get cooler, or trying to get warmer? It's easier for me to get cooler. I like wearing fewer clothes. Bundling up all the time got boring and tedious. And I would think that moving from a humid hot place to a dry hot place would be particularly enjoyable. So check it out. Just do what you can to be happy: activities, meetup groups, etc.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,167,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
But what you don't seem to be getting from any of our posts -- even the ones most complimentary about Phoenix -- is that this is NOT the "West Coast." I can't for the life of me understand what "resonating with the west coast" has to do with Phoenix, Arizona, a terrifically hot valley in the middle of the desert.

But you sound young and determined. So I'm sure you'll cope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Those are good points Jukesgrrl made about the West Coast. This is the West, but in particular it is the Southwest. It's a very different feel than Southern California. That is truly the West Coast, even two-three hours inland from the coast. Even Oregon and Washington are truly the West, with their particular Northwest flavor and culture. But Arizona is the Southwest Desert, which is a whole different feel altogether.
These people have given you excellent facts to help in your decision making. Please seriously consider the points they've made, no matter what you decide to do. Best wishes from the big desert (as opposed to the west coast).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area