Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 7,097 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've read a ton of posts here but wanted to ask a few direct questions.
I'm considering a relocation from Cleveland and would be working about 10 miles from the airport. I'm an active person, early 40's, like to play organized sports and meet people.

1. Where are some good areas to look for housing? Considering buying but might rent for a bit first. Don't want extremely expensive housing but want a safe area with stuff going on not far from where I live. Grocery store within 5 or so minutes. Don't want to have to drive rediculously far if I need a Home depot or Lowes and maybe some local pubs to hang out at. I like modern but currently own a house built in the 30's that was party refurbed so doesn't have to be new construction. And would love to have maybe a 20-30 min commute to work. What cities/areas should I check out to focus my search?

2. Are there some good organized sports leagues in the area? Competitive adult softball? Other fun coed sports like flag football? Looking to get involved in outdoor stuff to meet people - but if there's not a lot of that, it makes it hard to meet folks! (you can only meet so many people at work and at the local fun spot!)

3. What have been the biggest challenges for those of you that have transplanted yourselves in the past 5-8 years?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,966,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal33 View Post
Hello!
I've read a ton of posts here but wanted to ask a few direct questions.
I'm considering a relocation from Cleveland and would be working about 10 miles from the airport. I'm an active person, early 40's, like to play organized sports and meet people.

1. Where are some good areas to look for housing? Considering buying but might rent for a bit first. Don't want extremely expensive housing but want a safe area with stuff going on not far from where I live. Grocery store within 5 or so minutes. Don't want to have to drive rediculously far if I need a Home depot or Lowes and maybe some local pubs to hang out at. I like modern but currently own a house built in the 30's that was party refurbed so doesn't have to be new construction. And would love to have maybe a 20-30 min commute to work. What cities/areas should I check out to focus my search?

2. Are there some good organized sports leagues in the area? Competitive adult softball? Other fun coed sports like flag football? Looking to get involved in outdoor stuff to meet people - but if there's not a lot of that, it makes it hard to meet folks! (you can only meet so many people at work and at the local fun spot!)

3. What have been the biggest challenges for those of you that have transplanted yourselves in the past 5-8 years?

Thanks all!

Check out Ahwatukee.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Working 10 miles from the airport in what direction??? Ahwatukee is a good suggestion, but it depends on where you are actually working. Give us some cross streets or general area. I don't think it's going to be hard to find what you are looking for, but we need just a little more info to really help you.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 7,097 times
Sorry - about 5 miles south of PHX - E University Dr.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
That would be five miles south of DOWNTOWN Phoenix. If your work is on University Drive, unless you are out in Mesa, you're a lot closer than 10 miles to the airport.

Ahwatukee or Tempe. Both fit your bill as far as distance, shopping, etc, Tempe has a very good Parks and Rec Dept, and the Ahwatukee area of Phoenix probably has some leagues of some sort through Phoenix Parks and Rec Department or some other source.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 PM

652 posts, read 2,714,445 times
I'd recommend at least renting before you buy so you can get a feel for the neighborhoods. I live downtown and it is very safe and active. There are plenty of restaurants/bars/entertainment within walking distance. There is a Safeway grocery store on McDowell just about 1 mile north of where I live and I sometimes take the train to the Super Target on 19th Ave. to buy groceries.

As far as sports leagues go, sorry but I don't know about any of them.

And come on over here, we can use more Ohians. :-D

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM

157 posts, read 453,855 times
I would also recommend renting first and drive around to get a feel for the area. Out here, a good neighborhood turns into a ghetto by crossing a street.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,793,841 times
Ten miles would be around Dobson Rd at Baseline (Dobson Ranch, which is located in a nice community in Mesa)

Tempe,

Chandler,

Ahwatukee

South Scottsdale.

As others have said, it's best to rent for awhile so you can see the communities and determine the best community to meet your lifestyle.

Most of the relocating buyers that I've worked with, and am presently working, with have rented first and learned the areas before buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area