Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times

Advertisements

I live in a somewhat small (~100 homes) gated community in the South Mountain area. I attended our HOA meeting last night and while going through the financials, the maintenance contract and repairs for our gates brought up an interesting conversation. It was suggested that we totally remove the gates due to them constantly needing repairs.

I know that there is only perceived safety/security when it comes to gated communities. Any true security by having gates is very minimal in that a burglar or anyone intent on entering the property will find a way in.

That being said, is there actual monetary value to that perceived security when it comes to your homes worth? What about homeowners insurance? Could it possibly go up if this were to happen?

It was estimated that each homeowner contributes roughly $90 per year for the upkeep on the gates. Personally for me that seems to be worth it in the long run especially if our home values took even a minor hit if we were to convert to a non-gated neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,026 times
I don't think the gates do much to deter crime. I lived in a townhome community a few years back that had a similar issue. Our solution was to program them to stay open 7am-7pm and close at night. This helped eliminate some of the wear and tear but still created the "illusion" of safety.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM

43 posts, read 68,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I know that there is only perceived safety/security when it comes to gated communities. Any true security by having gates is very minimal in that a burglar or anyone intent on entering the property will find a way in.
True...but it's also true that thieves will almost always take the path of least resistance. Thieves are lazy and stupid. They don't like to plan, and they want things easy.

With cars in a parking lot, they'll usually go for the unlocked car door or window rolled down (if available). Not having to smash a window is a plus for them. Or if they're shoplifting. They'll pick a store that doesn't appear to have visible security on hand. They might be intent on stealing something, but they don't care where as long as it seems feasible.

If your community has a gate, and one down the road does not, that difference could be just enough to motivate the thief to go down the road a bit. Not having to worry about someone seeing them climb a gate makes things that much easier for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz
I lived in a townhome community a few years back that had a similar issue. Our solution was to program them to stay open 7am-7pm and close at night.
Huh...so the gates were wide open when most people were at work and no one was home? That alone could be a case study in the complete indifference that gates make on a community if burglary wasn't a problem (thus nullifying my theory above to Bungle )

Old 01-08-2015, 01:41 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
I think where you live the perception of safety and security is key to your home values. People who otherwise would not consider the area might if in the case of a gated community. I lived in south Phoenix myself once, and most people I met were convinced that I was in mortal danger for doing so as irrational as I found that to be. Perception is reality even if it's not. Keep the gates.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:50 PM

20 posts, read 33,185 times
I miss the gates from my last community for the sole purpose of them doing a good job of keeping most solicitors out. That is worth something to me.

I also agree that although no community is impervious to crime, gates do provide some type of barrier to keep out those who would rather take an easier route.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:58 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUNI2001 View Post
I miss the gates from my last community for the sole purpose of them doing a good job of keeping most solicitors out. That is worth something to me.
This is something that was not considered last night at my meeting. This is a huge argument for keeping the gates in my opinion! Thank you for bringing it up!

Old 01-08-2015, 02:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,275,478 times
Wow, talk about penny wise and pound foolish. These people are considering yanking out gates to save $7.50 per month. The BIG part of the increased HOA fees within a gated community is road maintenance, because they are private roads maintained by the HOA, not the city. I assume the roads would remain private?

To answer your question, yes having a non-gated community will affect the marketability of your subdivision and quite possibly affect property values as gates are desired in the area you are in. If your house sits vacant for sale for even ONE extra week because of this marketability issue, the carrying costs wipe out a couple years of "savings" from not having the gate maintained. Not to mention the offers could possibly be much lower than properties in gated communities.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,290 times
I would agree that a gated community can create the perception of safety and security, so for some people, this is a must have in a neighborhood. I personally find them annoying, slow, and a hindrance to visitors, and, like you mentioned a pain to upkeep. I also would never buy a house inside a gated community, so to me, a neighborhood that has one does not entice me there, but rather deters me.
Since the HOA has brought the issue to the table, I'd think a survey of all the residents or a vote would be required to take action on the gates. If not legally required, then as stewards of your community, it would be a kindness to poll residents and get their opinion. Some people may think that the money they pay to upkeep it is totally worth it.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 12,290 times
[quote=MattUNI2001;37939468]I miss the gates from my last community for the sole purpose of them doing a good job of keeping most solicitors out. That is worth something to me.

Below I posted all the reasons why I don't like gated communities, but I never thought about how great they would be to keep salesmen out. Awesome point!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUNI2001 View Post
I forgot all about that benefit. In 5 years at my old place I think I had maybe one solicitor. After moving I had one almost every weekend! I would pay $7.50 a month just for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: