Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM

278 posts, read 623,063 times

Advertisements

Just got back from being in Phoenix for 2 weeks. Long story. Some of you maybe know that I am hoping to move to your beautiful, energetic city. Our house in KC has a contract on it and I wanted to put in an offer contingent (because of lender) on our closing date. Even though we will have more than a 50 % down payment once we have the check in hand, our realtor told us no bank would even consider looking at our offer. It has greatly discouraged me because once we do get the money, then we'll have to obviously find a place to stay, put our things in storage and hope for a quick closing date. I've heard that dealing with banks is horrendous.

I've sort of let it go and won't do much until we have the check in hand. it's just so damn discouraging. I didn't understand the whole process and wanted to put an offer in on a house. Anyone else out there that has been in the same position and can encourage? And also, I want a 299k home for 220....there ya have it. Thanks for reading so far....let me know your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:50 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,587,751 times
Your Realtor is correct. Banks will not accept contingent offers. And in this market many regular sellers will be reluctant, although having a contract on yours may get some to accept. I'd also like a $299k home for $220k, but finding one will be difficult. I assume you are talking about finding a home with a $299k market value that someone will discount by 26%, and not just one overpriced?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,180,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
And also, I want a 299k home for 220....there ya have it.
Why would anyone sell a $299K home for $220K?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,934,525 times
This is the reality today. Make it as easy on yourself as possible. Rent a place on a month-to-month basis and put most of your stuff in boxes in the garage and just live as simply as possible. Move to a really nice place in the interim and give yourself a little vacation (a place with a pool or whatever). Make it fun. It does not have to be horrible.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,783,169 times
I have a place that would be good for while you are house hunting. It is a slimy mess dealing with the banks. It will take about 20 tries to get one. Especially if you are bottom feeding, and apparently you want a good deal (nothing wrong with that). My place is for one or 2, PM me, if interested.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 AM

The comment I made about a home for 299k is just dreamin'. Especially with this particular home. At 299k, i think it's still a steal, unfortunately, I can't afford it...or don't want to be house poor. I will come back with cash in hand and hopefully I'll find something that won't take too long. Geeez...It's difficult and certainly not like it used to be. Fortunately, we did okay on our home in the midwest...I wouldn't sell my home if I were going to take an incredible loss. The home we want to buy is where we'll stay. It's not for resale etc...it's actually for our own pleasure of living in a home that is OURS. Anyway, I am greatly discouraged only because even when one has the cash it looks like it's still a hit or miss thing. Thanks for the replies.(ps...what is 'bottom feeding'?)

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
(ps...what is 'bottom feeding'?)
See definition 2 Urban Dictionary: bottom feeder

The term came from fish that hang out near on the bottom of the ocean /lake/ aquarium. They feed off of "food" that drops to that bottom. Sometimes that food could be... well... po_p. Therefore they are not exactly worried about their image so long as they eat.

Bottom feeders are a pain in the butt to deal with (from a Salesperson's perspective). They want a lot of mind share yet are not willing to pay for it. And as a side note, they are the highest maintenance people.

It could be that person at your garage sale that offers you 1/2 price for the item that you priced to move and was obviously a deal to start with.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Bottom feeding huh? Hmmmmmmmmm??? Am I??? Wow...probably? I have cleaned my share of p___ before to get the deal. However, it turned out to be not so great of a deal. Something to ponder for sure.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,783,169 times
But a bottom feeder is still a lot higher class than a realtor or a corporation that lent someone 200K, that only makes 16K. I would say my realtor put in about 25 hours of work for me--and helped me get an SFR in midtown for 15 cents on the Dollar. Using Docusign makes a huge diffeence. Completely paperless transaction, except for the Deed they will send me a copy of.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:07 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,786,427 times
Your Realtor is telling you like it is. As others have said, banks will not accept a contingency on selling your home, even if you have a contract. Neither will many regular sale home owners.

If you need to get into a home fairly fast, then you will want to bypass short sales unless you find one where the bank has approved a price. That happens when they're negotiating with a buyer, and at the last minute, either just before, or after, the bank gives their final price, the buyer walks.

Those types will close fairly fast. But that's the exception. You can expect to wait up to 3-4 months for the loss mitigator to come back with their counter to your offer, and it may be higher than you want to pay, and the deal falls through. Sort of disheartening after waiting for several months.

Also, the listed price for a short sale may be a lot less than market value (and less than what the bank will accept) so the listing agent can get an offer to submit and get the short sale process started.

Bank owned (REO) properties will have a response within a few (1-5) days. The listed price is set by the bank. Many times these prices are higher than the market value of the house.

Cash, in many cases, will get you a lower price because the seller doesn't have to worry about financing contingencies. Today, financing is difficult and transactions fall through because of the inability to get financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area