Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times

Advertisements

Which grocery store chain carries the best quality meat? Which grocery store chain has the best sales on meat?

I've found Sprouts is excellent for produce and, surprisingly, WalMart has excellent produce for the money in the Sun City region (Happy Valley Road). I was surprised because it had horrible produce where I came from. Wonder what that is all about, 'cause you would think they would all be equal...not.

Made one friend here so far (hey! been here only 3 weeks now) who said LeeLee's is great, also, and am going to visit there soon, too. She has given me some great help so far but seems busy this week, so I'm not going to bother her.

Any direction from those who shop can give me, I'm listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:58 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Which grocery store chain carries the best quality meat? Which grocery store chain has the best sales on meat?

I've found Sprouts is excellent for produce and, surprisingly, WalMart has excellent produce for the money in the Sun City region (Happy Valley Road). I was surprised because it had horrible produce where I came from. Wonder what that is all about, 'cause you would think they would all be equal...not.

Made one friend here so far (hey! been here only 3 weeks now) who said LeeLee's is great, also, and am going to visit there soon, too. She has given me some great help so far but seems busy this week, so I'm not going to bother her.

Any direction from those who shop can give me, I'm listening.
Welcome to the Big Desert!

I find the best meats and produce for the lowest prices at Fry's. I don't do too much store hopping, mostly because I'm lazy. Safeway has lovely merchandise, but is a bit pricier unless you shop sales. AJ's is excellent, but upscale and expensive. I agree about Sprouts having nice produce, but all my Wal-mart produce experiences have been negative. I shop according to in season and on sale items, so can't address other stores. Oh, but if you haven't shopped at Trader Joe's in your previous city, by all means, add them to your "must" list. It's fun, interesting, and delicious!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
I'm a fan of the meat at Bashas, the Cheese at Trader Joes, and I think the produce is the same everywhere (maybe fry's). We just shop the sales for the most part. With Albertsons, Safeway, Fry's, Sprouts, and Bashas within a mile or two of you, you cant go wrong..if you have the time. LeeLee's is great for certain things. It's a nice eclectic mix. Also Trader Joes, Fresh and Easy and AJ's all have some unique things.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:04 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
If you can deal with the larger sizes Costco or SamsClub have choice beef at the best prices. Otherwise, deals vary from week to week with the different stores. Shop a couple. Walmart will price match with anyone, but their meat is not their strong point IMO.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I love Sunflowers. They have hormone and antibiotic free meat that is of very good quality. They also have very good sales on meat and produce.

Sunflower Farmers Market ~ Home ~ Your Local Grocery Store

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Welcome to the Big Desert!

I find the best meats and produce for the lowest prices at Fry's. I don't do too much store hopping, mostly because I'm lazy. Safeway has lovely merchandise, but is a bit pricier unless you shop sales. AJ's is excellent, but upscale and expensive. I agree about Sprouts having nice produce, but all my Wal-mart produce experiences have been negative. I shop according to in season and on sale items, so can't address other stores. Oh, but if you haven't shopped at Trader Joe's in your previous city, by all means, add them to your "must" list. It's fun, interesting, and delicious!

Wow, I could have written that post. The only thing I would add is, I'm a fan of Sunflower Farmers' Market. Usually less expensive than Sprouts. They have excellent values on very fresh produce, nice fish and meat, and they source a lot locally, including eggs. Also, the kinds of things you would find at Whole Foods, only much cheaper and the store is less pretentious. You have three in metro-Phoenix, one on Bell Road, one in Scottsdale, and one in Tempe. If those locations are do-able for you, try it.

I've had some great things from Trader Joe's, but every time I get hooked on some particular product, they discontinue it. I find their constant turn-over of products to be frustrating.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I love Sunflowers.
Sun Flower, AJ's are great places. But expensive.
Trade Joes
Fresh and Easy. I dunno, i like the meat from here.

Bashas and frys meat's scare me...

Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
cough...FOOD CITY...cough

Honestly, I don't know. But I've purchased meat from Food City and Safeway. Survived both and FC was the better value. They have awesome donuts. A cute Mexican gal works the bakery at th we FC on Apache in Tempe.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
AJ's is expensive for meat at regular price, but they often have sales on the good stuff - like Kobe hamburger for $4.99 ~ish.

Costco has prime beef for under $10 a pound if you get there right after they open. If you haven't ever tried prime beef you should - it's a religious experience. Only 2.9% of all US beef is graded as "prime" - and no amount of beating, tenderizing or marinades will make a "choice" steak equal a "prime" steak.

Whatever you do, be careful of ground beef - the ammonia-treated "pink slime" is becoming prevalent.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/144904/yummy!_ammonia-treated_pink_slime_now_in_most_u.s._ground_beef/

As for the other stuff - I just flip through the weekly flyers.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 AM

419 posts, read 1,524,862 times
I like Costco choice beef best, followed by Albertsons, which often has good beef sales. I do most of my shopping at Fry's but don't like their beef much.

I love Food City and Ranch Market for produce, but only produce; no meat and no packaged goods. I was also disappointed with the choice beef from Sprouts.

Fry's has the best overall prices and sales in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area