Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:30 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,750 times

Advertisements

Thought I would share an interesting article:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/regstate/articles/6701527.html?page=1&c=y (broken link)

Reminds me so much of the interactions I had with people from California. They blame it on illegals but it's the US citizens from Cali driving up the housing prices in Arizona and driving us nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:15 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
It is an interesting article, but I welcome Californians to Phoenix. Although one has to be careful about stereotyping, the influx of new residents from the West Coast has probably been a main factor in moving Arizona away from political extremism, increasing the diversity of international cuisines available in our restaurants, and making Phoenix a more dynamic city.

Previous waves of migration from the Midwest brought many advantages from that region. It's now good to balance that influence with others from different parts of the country. The issue of housing prices is a difficult one, and I don't have enough knowledge of real estate economics to say for sure what the trends are. Still, I'd trade some upward pressure on real estate prices for more diversity in sources of migration to Arizona for all the reasons noted above.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Very good points silverbear! Arizona has some political extremism! There are many moving here from the upper midwest as well but I look forward to getting away from the hardcore political extremism as well. There are too many good ideas, opinions, thoughts, and policies to be stuck in the mud with one political party flavor.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,791,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
Thought I would share an interesting article:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/regstate/articles/6701527.html?page=1&c=y (broken link)

Reminds me so much of the interactions I had with people from California. They blame it on illegals but it's the US citizens from Cali driving up the housing prices in Arizona and driving us nuts!
Good article, but it's not just the attitude of 'Kailfornians', it's as much a generational "me me me" problem.

Just a couple of examples. I have friends in AJ who own a restaurant. They own the business, the free standing building, the property, everything-for thirty years. They allow smoking in the restaurant. Why should the gov't be able to tell them they must ban smoking inside? It is a PRIVATE business which is open to the public. Posting a sign warning non-smokers to stay out if they don't like it should suffice. I don't think that is just because of californians, it's rooted in the completely over-board political correctness mentality of our society. Smokers are the only group of people who it is not only OKAY to discriminate against, it's ENCOURAGED.

As far as the "we did it this way in CA, you should do it that way here". It's not just a california thing. People move here from everywhere and want to impose their ways and culture on us to stay in their comfort zone. I've read many posts from Chicagoans, etc. telling us how horrible it here and what we need to change to make it better. Maybe californians just make more noise.

In order to be fair and not just pick on californians, I say if you've lived here long enough to remember Wallace and Ladmo, Hub Kapp and the Wheels, Mike "Commodore" Condello and the Salt River Navy Band, you can stay. Everyone else, leave.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,269 times
I don't smoke,so I don't have a problem with Non-Smoking areas...If I know a room or area is filled with smoke,I would just avoid it.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,750 times
Sorry, I just thought it was funny that some of the Californians were bashing each other. They are sick of Californians too

Old 04-02-2007, 01:25 AM

253 posts, read 376,707 times
As someone who moved from Phoenix to Orange County, CA a month ago, let me tell you I was very pleasantly surprised.

I was apprehensive about how Californians would be to live around, given their reputation, but I can tell you that the people here are MUCH friendlier than in Arizona. Everyone here is very social and outgoing which is the polar opposite of anti-social Phoenix.

Also, now that Arizona is turning into a blue state, is being taken over by democrats, and has taxes just about has high as California, there was no good reason NOT to move to CA. And in Orange County I'm finally surrounded by the good conservative Republicans that seem to have disappeared from Phoenix Heck, you can even carry a gun in Orange County - who would've known!!!?!?!?!!!!

I think Arizonans bash Californians for two reasons-

1. Jealousy and envy, because, let's face it, the ONLY advantage AZ has over CA is cost of living
2. The Californians who move to Arizona generally got forced out due to price and are not very happy and not friendly as a result, giving CA a bad reputation

Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,453,103 times
Quote:
And in Orange County I'm finally surrounded by the good conservative Republicans that seem to have disappeared from Phoenix Heck, you can even carry a gun in Orange County - who would've known!!!?!?!?!!!!
From what I've observed, most transplants to Arizona don't come from the OC, but from San Diego or LA areas. Glad you're happy where you are, though!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 AM

132 posts, read 517,276 times
I am from AZ and I still live here, I don't think the problem is the Californian's. I think the problem is the Arizonans, has anyone ever noticed that everyone that moves to Arizona thinks they are the last person who will move to AZ. Then they live here for a year and start complaining about all of the people moving here. Similar to the entire country when it comes to immigration! The fact is, very few people in Arizona are actually from Arizona, the growth polls will tell you that. So people move here, buy a new house backed up to the desert, survive a summer and then consider themselves Arizonans. Then they start crying about all the people moving here and the traffic and that there is a new subdivision that could block thier view of the mountains. Or, they move here for the affordability and hate the heat, hate the traffic and always refer to thier hometown as the best place ever and AZ sucks! Its the never ending story for AZ. Gotta love it!

Old 04-03-2007, 01:35 AM

253 posts, read 376,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj81 View Post
I am from AZ and I still live here, I don't think the problem is the Californian's. I think the problem is the Arizonans, has anyone ever noticed that everyone that moves to Arizona thinks they are the last person who will move to AZ.
Yes!!! Oh man, if there's one thing that really irked me about Arizona, it's all the people who move there from out of state, buy a huge plot of land and build a big ostentatious house on it, then petition to stop all development! It's like once they get their house, they want to ban anyone else from moving there. Totally ridiculous. Especially since Phoenix's economy is strong solely because of people moving in.

That reminds me of COPP up in north Scottsdale (the Coalition of Pinnacle Peak). It's a bunch of snobs who bought acres of land up in Troon and built 7,000 square foot houses, and now that they have their big houses they want to stop all building and development. What a bunch of hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area