Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,700,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
HOA's are not that bad, really, unless you are planning on painting your house purple and pink you shouldn't mind that much having one. Ask the residents in the areas of interest if the HOA there is extremely active or passive, most are passive and you never know they are there except when you leave your trash can out.
I would look into the home you want first, then deal with the HOA.
I'd have to disagree - the cheapest HOA I've ever seen is $28/month - that's a fee that will never go away, and can go up without any limitation whatsoever (a fairly small cadre of your neighbors could raise it to $300+ tomorrow, and your only choice is to pay, or spend your life trying to kick out the board).

And that $28/mo fee is for exactly what twiggy mentioned, sending grumpy mail to the neighbors who leave their trash cans out, although, they have decided to ignore violations of the on-street parking rule.

I could certainly find a better use for $28/month. Heck, over a year it works out to $300+ dollars - That's enough cash to pay an August A/C bill.

That August A/C bill bothers me alot more than a neighbor forgetting a trash can!

The "logic" of HOA's escapes me and seems truly defective.

"I don't trust my neighbors to do the right thing",

so....

"I'll trust a group of my neighbors, to do the right thing".

??

Last edited by Zippyman; 12-10-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM

419 posts, read 1,525,986 times
Generally, anything built recently has an HOA. Goodyear, like most suburbs, aren't that old and thus have HOA fees. Outside or older Phoenix and some closer suburbs like Glendale, the only WV area old enough to not have them is the old section of Litchfield Park.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
$28 a month for maintenance of common areas, even relatively small ones, is a small price to pay, to me, if everything else about the house is what you want. I live in a subdivision without an HOA, surrounded by subdivisions that do have one. They're all nice areas. If you find an area where people take pride in their homes, then it doesn't matter whether there's an HOA or not. They do help control the situation in which one house, for whatever reason, falls into significant exterior neglect.

There are "bad" HOA's, yes, but spreading some sort of stereotype that they are all run by power hungry neighbors out to steal others' money and control their lives goes a bit too far, and is just not accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area