Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,910,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hahah....I love that beating on a dead horse smiley!!!
You made very good and very valid points again AJ and I have no objections.

May be we should all go back to riding horses? Not too fast but a constant flow of traffic? Imagine people on their cell falling off left and right or hitting a tree branch?

But I don't wanna visualize what a rear-end collision would be like!
LOL.... - Not to mention a certain kind of "Pollution"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,282,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I know I don't get this tailgating thing either. I like to keep my distance in case somebody stops short.

I like that bumper sticker, that's a good one

I prefer to keep ample distance for the same reason as well, but as we all know it's just an open invitation for the next idiot to cut in front of you. The hurry people are in to get to their graves is totally amazing... That's fine with me, but don't take the rest of us on your way.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
(It's me, beating a dead horse again)

AZ drivers suck. CA drivers suck. IL and MI and NJ and IA, OR and MA drivers suck. When you put them and their different driving habits together on Phoenix freeways, there's a synergistic effect that makes them all suck twice as much.
Great post! This is definitely true, and something to remember, that it's people from all over that makes driving here such a hassle.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,734 times
Default Moving to Phoenix

I was raised in the Southwest...and love it!...
The old Phoenix has been swallowed up, consummed by modern technology and its fast pace pushing to be reborn.
The fragrant smells of orange blossoms are gone. The beautiful citrus groves are now filled with urban sprawl, heat absorbing asphault exploding the tempature to unbearable heights.
One house upon another, with little space between them allows no respect for your privacy . The city is like a beehive...buzzing constantly...
The City's once clean fresh air is now filled with carbon monoxide and other pollution...One rarely can smell the pungent aroma of the desert after it rains or experience the cool nights...that is all gone...

Phoenix is the next LA eager to be born and the rapid growth and population explosion here is horrific...if not overwhelming.. Neither is it "user friendly to those who find themselves bogged down in budgets...with little finances, who may have elected to reside here...
I watch the young couples and their young families...both struggling to make ends meet... determined to hit the mark to fulfill their dreams slowing being ate alive overwhelmed with the high cost of living... and unfriendly envoirment...Many here are now losing their homes, families because of the financial corporates that encouraged them to buy more than they could afford.. have deceived them...These families are now desperately trying to find a way to save their dreams...and all that is precious to them...and many are now facing financial ruin...

The elderly are not really welcome here...lost in redtape and high energy bills..that slowly eats away at any monies that they may have set aside for their "golden years". Needless to say only those who have vast amount of monies set aside can reside here comfortably...The truth is like the old saying " those who have the gold get the gold"

So the bottom line is: if you are planning on moving here or living on a fixed income, you will NOT find this city affordable.. or "user friendly" Just remember all that glitters is NOT gold..

Yes there are many opportunities here... but you better have plenty of resources to carry you for about 7 years...or the system , the city will consume you and your family...The money is here...but it doen't come easy...it requires many sacrifices...and a very strong commitment to overcome against all odds..One mistake and its all over folks...So plan wisely and prepare your course well if you are going to take the Phoenix leap.

The heat is horrific...116-122 is average...keeping you caged up like an animal "cabin fever" with energy bills in the $400 range...or you can do the budget plan and pay $200 per month all year.... The winters are great and you get to play then ....so pick your poison...and swallow...the end result is the same in this city.

Last edited by redbear; 08-14-2007 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 23,847 times
Hey Twiggy, I'll trade you right now..title for title. But prepare yourself for some unpleasant surprises here in the midwest. It was only in the 70's yesterday, and cloudy, as usual. We did sit out on our deck last night watching TV and playing cards, but it got so dang humid that we couldn't even shuffle the nasty mess. It wasn't raining, but sure felt like it. Then came the mosquitoes... Another typical West Michigan summer night!
Today, I will head for the gas station to fill up another can, for my lawn tractor. Been mowing that hay 3 times a week since May. God, I'm sick of that. But summer will be over soon enough. The leaves will change color, temps will cool down, and YES, we know what comes next. I'll put the tractor away and tune up the snowblower. I look forward getting up an hour earlier every day to snow blow my path out of the driveway. Will do it again after work ( if I can find any). Don't forget scraping the car windows after work, the mall, restaurant, etc. We'll also have to reinstate our membership to the tanning salon for the winter to stave off the depression that comes with weeks on end of no sun. Actually had 43 days in a row with zero sun last winter.
And speaking of cars, you'll need to replace yours every five years because of the salt they dump on the roads all winter. There is a reason why they call this the "rust belt".
I mentioned jobs. As a skilled tradesman in the auto industry, I've been out of work for 8 months. As of today, 7.3% unemployment here. The highest in the nation...again. Can't even get a job flipping burgers. The engineers with degrees got those jobs.
I won't even mention the lowly Detroit Lions.
So, this weekend, I will be flying out to Phoenix, to visit my daughter (who had the sense to move last year), and look for housing and work.
Shall I bring my title?
The grass is always greener..

Old 08-16-2007, 10:31 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,974,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdogsdad View Post
Hey Twiggy, I'll trade you right now..title for title. But prepare yourself for some unpleasant surprises here in the midwest. It was only in the 70's yesterday, and cloudy, as usual. We did sit out on our deck last night watching TV and playing cards, but it got so dang humid that we couldn't even shuffle the nasty mess. It wasn't raining, but sure felt like it. Then came the mosquitoes... Another typical West Michigan summer night!
Today, I will head for the gas station to fill up another can, for my lawn tractor. Been mowing that hay 3 times a week since May. God, I'm sick of that. But summer will be over soon enough. The leaves will change color, temps will cool down, and YES, we know what comes next. I'll put the tractor away and tune up the snowblower. I look forward getting up an hour earlier every day to snow blow my path out of the driveway. Will do it again after work ( if I can find any). Don't forget scraping the car windows after work, the mall, restaurant, etc. We'll also have to reinstate our membership to the tanning salon for the winter to stave off the depression that comes with weeks on end of no sun. Actually had 43 days in a row with zero sun last winter.
And speaking of cars, you'll need to replace yours every five years because of the salt they dump on the roads all winter. There is a reason why they call this the "rust belt".
I mentioned jobs. As a skilled tradesman in the auto industry, I've been out of work for 8 months. As of today, 7.3% unemployment here. The highest in the nation...again. Can't even get a job flipping burgers. The engineers with degrees got those jobs.
I won't even mention the lowly Detroit Lions.
So, this weekend, I will be flying out to Phoenix, to visit my daughter (who had the sense to move last year), and look for housing and work.
Shall I bring my title?
The grass is always greener..

Sounds horrible I thought Twiggy wanted to move to Cape Cod not the Mid West.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM

67 posts, read 303,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
You might want to reconsider. Why? In a nutshell, the entire Phoenix metro area is not the ideal place for a big metropolis like Houston, and I believe we have reached the threshhold on growth, we can't take anymore new residents here. The population of Phoenix is now around 2 million, and I believe it's almost 4 million for the entire metro area. Right now we're not prepared for the huge influx of population. Our freeway system is barely adequate right now, and in about a little over a year, we're going to have our light rail system up and running, but even with that, at the current growth rate we have, in about 5-10 years, you may not see Phoenix as the "peaceful" little desert town it once was just a couple of decades ago.

The over-building and urban sprawl with concrete, asphalt and all of the roof tiles have also changed our weather. Not too long ago, we used to get monsoon storms almost everyday, beginning in mid July and the entire month of August. Now the urban sprawl has created it's own weather system that pushes storm systems away.

I didn't move here, I was born and raised in Phoenix, so if you're thinking about moving here, please reconsider..

This may be politically incorrect, but don't you think that maybe you should put more of your focus on illegal immigration coinciding with the sharp increase of the population here? I know that it's not all of the pop. but it plays a part.
This way you don't have to tell tax-paying citizens where and why they should or shouldn't move.

Not trying to offend anyone, just thought I would offer up another viewpoint.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,910,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NezzaBlue View Post
This may be politically incorrect, but don't you think that maybe you should put more of your focus on illegal immigration coinciding with the sharp increase of the population here? I know that it's not all of the pop. but it plays a part.
This way you don't have to tell tax-paying citizens where and why they should or shouldn't move.

Not trying to offend anyone, just thought I would offer up another viewpoint.
Yes, I know that's a big problem here too, but I don't think most of them have internet access, let alone read my English thread.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM

67 posts, read 303,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Yes, I know that's a big problem here too, but I don't think most of them have internet access, let alone read my English thread.

Well, you got me. Can't argue with you there.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM

26 posts, read 104,503 times
Hey, that's not nice telling people don't move to Phoenix. Unfortunately I moved her in 2002 and can't get out of here although I would love to. I have mom in a Nursing Home so I have to stay. I would so want to get out of here and move back to NEW YORK!!!! I love and miss the east coast and all it's beauty (upstate NY is gorgeous) and diversity and friendliness. You don't hear New Yorkers saying Get Out of New York. It's such a shame that people in Phoenix are not-so-nice. They say New Yorkers are rude but I am the most welcoming hospitable person around (just ask my friends). If you don't want people to move to Phoenix that is not going to stop them. You will just have to move out of Phoenix to a desolate state and that should solve your problem. I am sure you will be happy with no people around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area