Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 PM

7 posts, read 63,287 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Peoria from Chicago. I have to say, if there is an area in which Chicago spoiled us totally, it's the food. There are so many ethnic grocery stores there, you just have to do the picking. And everything I've seen here up to now (granted, I've been here for all of 10 days ) is your average big department store fare - Fry's, Safeway, Sprouts... you name it. I paid a visit to Trader Joe's - it was pitiful. I bet there are some good ones around, Phoenix is too big a city not to have any, but if someone pointed them out, it'd save me a lot of time and trouble.

So the question is as follows: are there any good grocery stores around? Especially the ones that carry European-style assortment of products. Polish, German, Serbian/Croatian, Russian are greatly preferred. Indian/Pakistani and Arabian are also of interest. Northwest area, but for a good food I'm willing to take a drive.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars longa View Post
Just moved to Peoria from Chicago. I have to say, if there is an area in which Chicago spoiled us totally, it's the food. There are so many ethnic grocery stores there, you just have to do the picking. And everything I've seen here up to now (granted, I've been here for all of 10 days ) is your average big department store fare - Fry's, Safeway, Sprouts... you name it. I paid a visit to Trader Joe's - it was pitiful. I bet there are some good ones around, Phoenix is too big a city not to have any, but if someone pointed them out, it'd save me a lot of time and trouble.

So the question is as follows: are there any good grocery stores around? Especially the ones that carry European-style assortment of products. Polish, German, Serbian/Croatian, Russian are greatly preferred. Indian/Pakistani and Arabian are also of interest. Northwest area, but for a good food I'm willing to take a drive.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe AJ's may carry some of those. Check the internet or phone book also for specialty stores.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 PM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars longa View Post

Thanks in advance.
We may have different tastes since I love Trader Joe's and use it as my primary grocery store, but here are some ideas:

For Russian -- Yasha from Russia, which I mentioned in another post today, is your best best. It's in North Phoenix:

10240 N 32nd St
Phoenix, AZ 85028
(602) 347-6055

For Polish, there's a bakery in North Central Phoenix called Europa Pastry:

6522 N 16th St # 1
Phoenix, AZ 85016
(602) 274-6047

For Middle Eastern, most of the markets are on the east side in Tempe, but there's one I like in Central Phoenix called Middle Eastern Bakery & Deli:

3052 N 16th St
Phoenix, AZ 85016
(602) 277-4927

There's also Yusef's in North Phoenix:

15236 N Cave Creek Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 867-2957

For Indian, there's India Bazaar in Tempe:

933 E University Dr # 115
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 784-4442

I'm probably missing a lot of other gems. You'll definitely want to do some more Web searching to find the best options.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 63,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
We may have different tastes since I love Trader Joe's and use it as my primary grocery store, but here are some ideas:
It's not a question of taste, their selection is pitiful, they carry something like 1/10 of Chicago's Trader Joe's. The whole store had less variety than our neighborhood grocery store in Chicago.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely try some of them.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 PM

48 posts, read 215,961 times
There's also a Korean supermarket that sells a lot of ingredients for indian food. It's called Asiana Market:

4410 West Union Hills Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85003

Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 AM

149 posts, read 533,258 times
Our favorite place is Lee Lee Market (2025 N. Dobson Rd., Chandler). They carry ingredients from several regions around the world. They are pretty much our final stop for Middle Eastern, Persian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, and Japanese ingredients.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:58 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I must go someday to eat my way up and down the east coast. I always hear that our food is horrible from our east coast transplants here in Peoria. I have to admit that I do miss the CA. farmers markets.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:24 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I must go someday to eat my way up and down the east coast. I always hear that our food is horrible from our east coast transplants here in Peoria. I have to admit that I do miss the CA. farmers markets.
I grew up in New York and lived in various places on the East Coast before moving to Phoenix, and I've never found food -- either restaurants or groceries -- to be lacking in quality here. Of course, I'm looking at this from the vantage point of Central Phoenix, Central Scottsdale, and Tempe, the places where I spend most of my time. Things may be different in an outer suburb like Peoria. I'm not really sure.

Still, I suspect that in many of the complaints you hear, the real issue is not that the food is "horrible," but instead that it's different in some way. For some transplants, anything that is not the same as where they came from will always be bad.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNeedle View Post
Our favorite place is Lee Lee Market (2025 N. Dobson Rd., Chandler). They carry ingredients from several regions around the world. They are pretty much our final stop for Middle Eastern, Persian, Indian, Thai, Chinese, and Japanese ingredients.
I love Lee Lee's and it's a very large place, I'd say worth the drive.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 32,423 times
Stanley's Sausages seems to carry may products that appear to be imported from Europe.

Two locations. One around 22nd St and McDowell. The other about 17th Ave and Bell.

Stanley's Homemade Polish Sausage Co. (http://www.stanleys-sausage.com/noshock/default.htm - broken link)

There is another similar store in the shopping center on the NE corner of 32nd & Greenway, but I don't know the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area