Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM

99 posts, read 148,807 times

Advertisements

As hard as it is to admit this, I was duped by a questionable locksmith company.

Thought it was a local company (had a local number and address listed) - quoted price to do rekeying ended up getting inflated because "our locks are more sophisticated and complicated" and I agreed to pay - thought I was supporting a local company.

Invoice had a different company name and number, so I started looking closer at the company. Turns out the address is a farmers field, no idea where the 'local' number actually went.

Called them back, asking who they really were - got no answers to my questions - just an unlikely promise to call me back.

Luckily (maybe) I insisted on using VISA so I have an email into my bank on options. If I'm stuck with paying call it my punishment for being so stupid.

Knowing I was taken made me concerned about whether this 'locksmith' also has copies of the keys now.

So I did track down a reputable locksmith, member of BBB and the ALOA - plus is well written up in the press so the locks are being rekeyed again at about 45% less than I paid the other 'locksmith'. He had heard my story many times before, he said at least I didn't get taken as badly as others here in the Phoenix area and I didn't pay cash or by check.

So my lesson for the day is don't trust my instincts all the time and do more than cursory research when dealing with home security.

Does one incidence like this change how much I love Phoenix - not at all. All that really happened, despite the slightly deflated ego, is that I realized I've still got a lot to learn even at my age!

SeaG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
One way others can prevent that from happening is to select a locksmith that has a physical shop; one that you can walk into. They have usually been in business for a long time and are reputable.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
I've heard the people that do car lock outs are worse than a pirate ship, also.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
FWIW, when I bought my house (foreclosure) I had everything re-keyed (the bank had changed the keys to the doorknobs, but not the deadbolts) - It was pretty pricey, and most of the locks were mismatched and tired looking.

After we remodeled the house, we decided on lever-locks & we wanted to get rid of all of the polished brass. We found ones we liked at Lowes, and I ran the part#'s on ebay, just to see if we could find a cheaper solution - I was able to buy 10-packs on ebay of the same lock, for 1/3rd of the price - and these can be re-keyed in just a few minutes yourself if you want to give a contractor a key for a day, then change it back (yourself) ...

I sold the extras on Craigslist & did pretty well...

Here's a link:
Kwikset : Smart Security : Re-Key Technology

I wouldn't worry myself about a locksmith keeping your keys - they can defeat even commercial locks without a key quickly. They don't need a key.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Being a banker, and totally changing the subject, you should try to dispute the charge with your bank. VISA is zero liability!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
FWIW, when I bought my house (foreclosure) I had everything re-keyed (the bank had changed the keys to the doorknobs, but not the deadbolts) - It was pretty pricey, and most of the locks were mismatched and tired looking.

After we remodeled the house, we decided on lever-locks & we wanted to get rid of all of the polished brass. We found ones we liked at Lowes, and I ran the part#'s on ebay, just to see if we could find a cheaper solution - I was able to buy 10-packs on ebay of the same lock, for 1/3rd of the price - and these can be re-keyed in just a few minutes yourself if you want to give a contractor a key for a day, then change it back (yourself) ...

I sold the extras on Craigslist & did pretty well...

Here's a link:
Kwikset : Smart Security : Re-Key Technology

I wouldn't worry myself about a locksmith keeping your keys - they can defeat even commercial locks without a key quickly. They don't need a key.
I had thought about this route, and will do it in future - but for the time being...

I went with the second rekeying only because we also have a fairly sophisticated monitored alarm system and little of value in the home. Plus I wanted to confirm what the first 'locksmith' hadn't messed up the locks - turns out he did install two of the deadbolts backwards (screws outside). The new locksmith also told me about how easy it is to defeat these locks.

The previous owner added locks, so each entrance door has a passage lock, deadbolt and a security door with deadbolt - for three doors there are 9 keyed locks altogether.

Our oldest son is a contractor and is coming down to stay in our place for awhile as he looks for investment properties - so I've asked him to look at replacing the locks so I will pass on our suggestions.

Thanks,

SeaG

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM

Default I have contacted the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Being a banker, and totally changing the subject, you should try to dispute the charge with your bank. VISA is zero liability!
Yes, I did contact my bank yesterday and they have provided the information on how to dispute the charge.

Thanks,

SeaG

Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
What does the receipt, you signed, say?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
I don't see how you can dispute the charges. You hired them to replace the locks, and they did that.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
What does the receipt, you signed, say?
It has a hand written company name (not the same name as the website had) and a 480 number - not the same as the 'other' listing.

Then the pricing information.

So technically I agreed to the work - but since the company doesn't exist, has a field for an address, etc. plus I have the work redone I am using the angle of 'fraud' in pursuing a credit from the bank.

I successfully did this a couple of years ago with another similar charge - but like I said I don't have my hopes up and may chalk it up to 'punishment' for being so careless.

SeaG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area