Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 29,636 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am a young male in his mid-twenties accepting a year and half internship in Phoenix. I need to know as much as possible about the Phoenix area (the good the bad and the ugly). I will be commuting a lot between 3 different airports (Sky Harbor, Goodyear and Deer Valley) for my job.

Where are good places that have nice affordable apartments close to a freeway and social atmosphere? I am moving from Louisville, KY and am used to a eccentric/independent/hipster environment, do these things exist in Phoenix? Also, where are good places for social hangouts and to meet new people my age?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,152 times
Just curious, what occupation is your internship?
If you need to be "close" to all three airports, I'd suggest Glendale, perhaps somewhere near Westgate/UofPhoenix stadium. If you know you'll be at one of the airports more than the others, perhaps consider being close to that airport.

As far as the rest of your questions, I think they are too vague or broad to really answer. Perhaps use the "Search" feature at the top of the page and read through old threads.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,326 times
Hmmm consider living by the Biltmore area (24th street / Camelback). It will be close to Sky Harbor, and you'll have a reverse commute to Good Year and Deer Valley during rush hour. Biltmore area traditionally has been the "posh" area of town, but it's now more hip now and younger.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,078,901 times
you can think about joining a meetup group, of course...

hip/independent 'hoods might include the Camelback/Indian School/7th St/7th Ave area (tiny bit of a gay vibe there, too, if that's OK), the ASU/Mill Ave area of course, and the downtown Scottsdale area though that area is not really "eccentric" at all, but does have young/hip/wannabe hip people (google "30K millionaire").....

those three airports are far from each other, so you'll have to give up something in the equation.....

don't forget to read thru all the many threads here in the Phx forum....lots of good info for you......

Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 29,636 times
Thanks for the information. I will be working for the Department of Aviation a branch of the City of Phoenix government. I believe I will be more involved with Sky Harbor though but still need to have access to the other two airports. I've heard a lot about the Biltmore area, I'll start there and look through the forums. Any inexpensive apartments in Biltmore that you suggest or on or near Camelback/Indian School and 7th Ave.?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-Ville View Post
Thanks for the information. I will be working for the Department of Aviation a branch of the City of Phoenix government. I believe I will be more involved with Sky Harbor though but still need to have access to the other two airports. I've heard a lot about the Biltmore area, I'll start there and look through the forums. Any inexpensive apartments in Biltmore that you suggest or on or near Camelback/Indian School and 7th Ave.?
Interesting, because Goodyear airport is not located in Phoenix. I guess Phoenix airport management runs it?

I live in Goodyear and commute five-days-a-week to near Sky Harbor. I'm not suggesting you move to Goodyear (which is more of a "family" town), but just saying you could live any number of places and commute.
I would add Glendale to azdr0710 list... between downtown, Westgate and Arrowhead (which are different parts of Glendale), it seems like it would have what you are looking for. And it would be a good "central location" to the three airports.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
I'd probably look at tempe or near glendale ... tempe would be the closest to sky harbor and then a reverse commute to goodyear (30 minutes in light traffic - add a little if you get caught in rush between tempe and the I-17 interchange) and to deer valley (not sure the timing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area